SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As some of you know, I have a 96/900SE. I broke today a handle off the dash air vent, which is located on the passanger side, that controls the direction in which the air flows. Looking at the demage, it looks like I am going to have to replace the entire plastic grid. I have a few questions: Where can I get a new grid? How hard is it to replace it? Do I have to remove the dashboard or can I just lift the old grid off the dash board and pop the new one in? Any advice will be deeply appreciated.:)

Thank you.
Ta-ta, j.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Part of old car (over 7 years of age) ownership is knowing where the good junkyards are.

I'm sure the vent frame just pulls off , once the rather strong clips are released. Use a little screwdriver or a little plastic knife .
Use wood to find the clip and pry the vent ... -if it breaks( the wood), no big deal...

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
The whole dashboard has to come off. The front grid is part of the dashboard. Behind it are several other grid panels, all held in place by part of the air duct that snaps onto the back of the dashboard. You should be able to order just a handle since it's a completely seperate piece.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for your information. :DI will first try to pry the old vent off the dashboard, as earthworm has suggested; and if this does not work, then I will look into taking the dashboard apart. I intend to buy then new vent cover because the old broke due to its age or the sun exposure. I have checked the local junk yard, and they do not have this piece. There are not than many Saabs in Nashville. I would say that Nashville is more of a Volvo rather than Saab country. I guess I will have to bite the proverbial bullet and go to the local Saab dealership to get this piece.:(

Thanks for your info.
Ta-ta, j.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
There is no vent cover to pry off. I take it you must have a wood dash or something similar, because if you had the plain plastic one, you'd see that the entire face of the dashboard is a single smooth piece of plastic. I just don't want you nicking something by trying to pry on it! You should also put a thin coating of silicone grease on the sliding parts of the vent while it's apart. Mine started to stick after a while, and the grease has kept it working smoothly for over a year now.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Jeremy R. said:
There is no vent cover to pry off. I take it you must have a wood dash or something similar, because if you had the plain plastic one, you'd see that the entire face of the dashboard is a single smooth piece of plastic. I just don't want you nicking something by trying to pry on it! You should also put a thin coating of silicone grease on the sliding parts of the vent while it's apart. Mine started to stick after a while, and the grease has kept it working smoothly for over a year now.
Jeremy,

On the right side of the dashboard, all the way by the passenger's door, there is a vent cover that does look like you can pry it off. This is the only vent cover that does not seem to be the unified part of the dashboard. Thanks. janusz

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
I need to read things a little better! ;oops: It's the passenger side vent that's broken, so Janusz, you're right. That vent can be popped out by itself.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeremy R. said:
I need to read things a little better! ;oops: It's the passenger side vent that's broken, so Janusz, you're right. That vent can be popped out by itself.
Thanks. I hope that this won't be too painful.

Ta-ta, janusz

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Replaced the vent grid without any problems, even though I did have to break apart the old vent grid to pull it out. The new grid slid in without any problems:cheesy:. The only thing that was painful was the price for the new piece. I had to give the stealership $112:(.

Thanks for all your help guys. As always you have come through:cheesy:

Ta-ta, janusz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts