SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends and Far Away neighbors. Still putzing around with this dead 900S. Bill in PA said if he could throw a dart at the AMM and say that's the cause of all the heartache he'd hit it.

Started last year w/the varying RPMs. Got to the point that when you tried WOT (wide open throttle), it would sputter and die. Removed car from service. We have replaced fuel pump insert, throttle position potentiometer, checked the LH using meter and the Bentley's and all is well.

With all this, still no reliable accelleration and running. We have replaced the AMM. The car has been sitting for 3 months since we turned her over last. Starter was turning then and we could get the engine to crank. Now we hear faint noise from the general direction of the starter. Good fully charged battery.

We still have not checked the solenoid votage. Will do that tomorrow during the daylight and when we have eaten.

Love the resource here. I've searched a little, but forgive me for my lack of time to devote to search for hours. I would like to know if anyone else has had this experience and what the problem was.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
beside starter problem, has this car got a crancase sensor, as that can cause fluctations as it breaks down, but will then work ok for a while, and some just go and thats it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replaced starter, finally cranked but will not run

I wish we could find this gremlin living in our SAAB. Air mass meter must not have been the problem, as we replaced starter and got it to crank. Motor will hold all RPM above 1500. Once we let it down to less than 1500, can't recover and it sputters and dies.

We've replaced everything except the crank position sensor. Any hints for replacing that in your front yard? We've researched and determined it's in a bad place.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
it will take about 2hrs to do, release the air con belts if fitted, and alternator belts and power steering belt. you then need to undo the pulley nut to remove it, you can undo it from the top but probably better from underneath. remove pulley and ccs is behind it you will need a small torks head unit to undo the two screws that hold it in place(disconect three wire join unit under inlet manifold)then just a reverse to put it back together, but do just check it runs before putting all the belts back on.
it might be a problem in your electrics box inside wing, or in the side of footwell check system with a spare one first ,before having to do ccs

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
16, I appreciate the good instructions for r&r the ccs. Meeting with prospective part buyer after work Monday @ her SAAB mechanic's shop. Word on the street is if he can't fix a SAAB, it can't be/it's not worth fixing.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
well if some one else is doing it, that's an easy fix:cheesy:, might be worth getting oil seal and harmonic balancer checked/replaced while stripped down,
I did'nt when i did mine, as not aware of them? or problems at the time,and it has never happened to me, but reading other threads they can go and if your paying for repair, not d.i.y., it might be worth a few extra $ now than a load later for the same stripdown job for a few $ parts.
not sure of cost of the items but e.g $100 labour + $30 part + extra $30 part =$160, $100 labour+ $30 done now and $100+30, later ==$260, = labour charge excess of $100 just for a $30 part doing it now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts