SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just bought an 89 spg, and upon looking at the cars last service record from 6/23/05 from mechanic, saw that it was in need of a few things.

First, I have an air leak in the rubber doughnut in the connection between the elbow coming out of the turbo, and the downtube. I cannot find the doughnut/gasket anywhere online and dont know what it is called. Worst of all, on the service record, it says record that it will cost $300 to fix. A specific name and website would help.

Next, I have a samll oil leak supposably at the oil pump. How hard will this be to deal with.

I want to do all repairs if possible, because I dont trust the saab mechanic in town. Thanks, Kyle

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Hi

Your intercooler connectors is easy to replace.

go to ebay and look for "silicone hose" pipe or connector.

Your oil leak if its at your crank pully is not a easy job, because of the space and location of the seal.

If you do a search you will find lots of info on how to do that job.

Have fun:D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, let the games begin.
I think you maybe talking about the turbo outlet hose....?
its a $20 part. www.thesaabsite.com is pretty good for parts and pictures, look under turbo.
The oil pump is on the firewall side of the motor. It's
challenging to change the seal but you can do it. It would be a good time to check/change the crankshaft pully when you
have the oil pump off. The pully is kinda pricey, but it's right
there by the pump.
Find a mechanic, saab specific, that you can trust.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am talking about the doughnut shaped rubber thing that connects the downtube/exaust to the metal elbow that comes out of the battery side of the turbo. The connection is right by the battery. When the car idles, I can feel the air leaking. So I need a new dougnut shaped rubber bushing/gasket. I cannot find it at eeoroparts or thesaabsite. (not listed in exaust or gasket sections).

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Are you talking about the down pipe for the exhaust?

The Exhaust side is very different from the IC side which is behind your radiator?

I and Spgeed thought your talking about the rubber couplers for the Intercooler pipes which can be had cheaply.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
is it seriously be a rubber seal between the cast iron elbow and downpipe?

i wouldnt have thought that rubber would last very long in that sort of heat:confused:
but then ive never taken it off so what would i know:nono;

·
Registered
203 Posts
Now I think your talking about the metal ring (not rubber)that is in between the downpipe and cast elbow. Strange that this piece is failing. You might check local muffler shops, I don't think the ring is particular to saab. It may fix it to just disassemble clean mating surfaces and reassemble.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
These rings don't often fail, I would check the tightness of the nuts/studs holding the exhaust flange to the turbo outlet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts