SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this 1991 900 turbo only has a cabin air filter? there really isn't an engine air intake filter?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
50lb bag enough then?

ok seriously, im just owned a dodge caravan and dadge durango, it was easy to find the air filter and fit my pre-totally wrecked durango with a cold air intake.

and i downloaded the mitchell manual becausee bentley is out until at least feb 08, but i was curious where the intake air filter would be.

Sorry, I hate to be a post whore and ill stop asking questions, it's just i'm trying to keep this car to work on slowly and restore rather then let it end in the scrap yard.

I dont think the turbo has an air filter or is that where i should be looking?

·
Registered
429 Posts
The airfilter is on the opposite side to your battery in a cylinder, Just follow your throttle body down to it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
****** said:
The airfilter is on the opposite side to your battery in a cylinder, Just follow your throttle body down to it.

Thanks. And then I run the sand threw it? LOL

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
p
davidlytle said:
Where is the cabin air filter? is it under the dash near the blower motor?
passenger side of the motor its a square filter that
well since i spent the 9 bucks for access to the site and two days dowloading every manual since bentley said check back in february, here ya go
CABIN AIR FILTER

Removal & Installation (1983-93)

Cabin air filter is located in the right (passenger side) rear corner of the engine compartment. To remove filter, turn the cover retaining clips 1/4 turn clockwise or counterclockwise. Pull filter assembly out of HVAC housing. See Fig. 1 .

Fig. 1: Removing Cabin Air Filter

and the site is http://www.eautorepair.net/

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
davidlytle said:
Why would AC have anything to do with an air filter? I would still think It would have an air filter
Cabin air filter. The cabin air filter element goes in the "slot" where the A/C evaporator goes. When A/C is on, the humidity in the air condenses on the evaporator and this water tends to absorb the pollen and junk in the air anyway (similar to an oil-bath air cleaner) and the water then drips on the ground. So it kind of has the same effect anyway.

Of course there is an engine air filter :lol: Open the hood. On driver's side of the car, rearward of headlamp, you will see an assortment of piping. You will see a snorkel taking air from the inner fenderwell, this leads to a fairly large black plastic coffee-can thing with clips. Undo the clips, take out the cylindrical paper engine air filter element, put a new one, there you go.

·
Registered
119 Posts
900t said:
Cabin air filter. The cabin air filter element goes in the "slot" where the A/C evaporator goes. When A/C is on, the humidity in the air condenses on the evaporator and this water tends to absorb the pollen and junk in the air anyway (similar to an oil-bath air cleaner) and the water then drips on the ground. So it kind of has the same effect anyway.

What about when the AC is off - a good half of the year at least, does it mean that the air in the cabin doesn't get filtered then?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Rosko said:
900t said:

What about when the AC is off - a good half of the year at least, does it mean that the air in the cabin doesn't get filtered then?
That would be correct. If the AC isn't on though, then its probably not pollen season, and who needs filtered air anyhow. :confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
900t said:

Of course there is an engine air filter :lol: Open the hood. On driver's side of the car, rearward of headlamp, you will see an assortment of piping. You will see a snorkel taking air from the inner fenderwell, this leads to a fairly large black plastic coffee-can thing with clips. Undo the clips, take out the cylindrical paper engine air filter element, put a new one, there you go.
expet trying to fine the air filter replacement on long island in new york is like trying to find weapons of mass destruction. Just like finding the chilton book, or bentley who is out until at least feb 2008.

two more stores to check today then they dealer monday for a simple air intake filter

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
gvish said:
expet trying to fine the air filter replacement on long island in new york is like trying to find weapons of mass destruction. Just like finding the chilton book, or bentley who is out until at least feb 2008.

two more stores to check today then they dealer monday for a simple air intake filter
That's just silly. Go to www.eeuroparts.com, click on their filter for what, $10 or something, FedEx will have it on your doorstep by the next day. (well maybe Tues).

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
gvish said:

That's odd, it was my understanding, based on a lifetime of movies, that WMD were rather easy to find in NY. :p

Anyhow, any decent parts store should have or be able to get one within a day. If you have an Advanced, O'Reillys, NAPA, Autozone, any of these will have or be able to get it.

However as 900T pointed out, you can get deliveries from eeuroparts within a day or two as you are right up there by them.

http://www.eeuroparts.com/searchresults.aspx?&carid=1047&cat=1018

http://www.eeuroparts.com/productdetail.aspx?searchResults=1&code=5532

http://www.eeuroparts.com/productdetail.aspx?searchResults=1&code=5533

Filter is here.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
fetchitfido said:
Anyone sell the cabin air filter? I imagine I should put something there...A/C was just taking up space/weight.

I want to say that thesaabsite.com has them but I might be wrong. The dealer might be easier and faster though.

p.s. I accidently hit "edit" on your post instead of "quote" which is why it shows I edited your post, I didn't though. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
most places will order it. NAPA ordered me one yesterday to be in today. Nice guy.

So, you can put this with the sand story. I see four plugs on the car. disconnect the electric connections, loosen the bar that ran across all four connections, which also went into the engine at one end and the bar at the other

Yes, I was changing my spark plugs. Who the hell knew what that was. The wires off the distributor ran under some cover so I couldnt follow them

yep. full injectors. luckily no damage done and my brother in law the aircraft mechanic fixed my mess and found this nice litte box, unscrewed it and we changed the plugs in 5 minutes.

I guess at least I know I can probably change the injectors if I have to. huh.

Bentley better hurry with that book, february isnt soon enoug.

Gary

·
Registered
119 Posts
900t said:

Back to the cabin filter: although the AC evaporator seats in the cabin filter's slot, there is a deep compartment in between the air intake opening on the hood and the AC evaporator's niche, which is empty and probably can fit a modified filter for the cabin air. Not the original Saab cabin filter of course, it must be smaller that that but since the air goes through there and there is enough space, can't somekind of filter be modified to fit anyway? And what's the purpose of this compartment? It also has a string attached lid that always stays open in my car?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts