SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while i am at the ecu upgrade i will do the air filter thing too lol got a k&n at min just replacment panel one though what is best seen the abbott one but just a bit pricey at £325+vat or is it really worth it or am i better going for viper induction or ram air what is best and value for money

any help looked on forum but its not black and white ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,

I've got a SpeedParts kit from here.

Fitting involves removing the existing AirBox :confused:. But for the money involved I think you'd be hard pushed to find anything that will give you more intake performance than this thing! :).

I can take some pics if your interested, as my car is jacked up at the moment for some other work...

Cheers,
Mike.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I bought a cone filter for something like 20 Euro and then took it to local saab repairs where they removed the air box and installed this one with a custom solution for connection. It cost me nothing - they took the old airbox for the repairs :cool:

Overall 20 Euros and it is sucking air well :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have an 1995 areo and am looking at upgrading to stage 3 so do you think that the speed parts one will be up to that any pics would be great too mate:cool:

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I bought a ITG filter rated for 500hp and with the help of some jubilee clips, a straight section of stainless pipe and some silicon hose made my own. I removed the airfilter casing totally and so far after 5000 miles is still going ok, I expected it to get dirty very fast without the casing but this hasn't happened.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers mark since i am not planning to go over the 500bhp that should do nicely where did you get it seen one but it looked like a pannel filter on parts for saabs think

cheers

·
Registered
49 Posts
very cool, did you have to do anything other than get some pipe to fit, did u do other mods where the old one sat or just plonked the pipe through? I'm thinking of doing this myself as i know someone who has an itg filter for sale. Can you hear any difference over the standard one out of interest?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
just junked the original filter housing, cut off the bit that fits to the AMM and connected pipe direct to that. Utilised spare saab intake pipework and superglue and silicon.

You hear the boost getting dumped now but it isn't 'ricer' noise though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
good to know some superglue and silicon was used in there! great inventions, fantastic for bodging stuff together.

Well i have the same filter on the way to me now, bought one at a bargain price so hopefully mine will go on easily too. just got to wait about now for the car to come back from the garage, turbo studs are rusted so paying someone to fit new ones...Hope he gets on with it quickly!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have just ordered the induction system from elkparts at about £80 its not too bad unlike 325 from abbott and i have just ordered the ecu upgrade stage 3 too was going to go with maptun but after two weeks and lots of calls and promises broken elkparts it was..... so heres hoping all will go well with them lol
;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
mine has still not arrived yet, but wanted to ask, can water splash up onto the filter where it is now, or is it protected by the wheel arch liner? I've not tinkered with mine yet so not sure!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes i suppose water could splash up onto it but so far so good. so i would think unless you are in a deep puddle it will be ok and i have taken my wheel arch liner out to but that is more to do with access to that side of the car not the filter:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fitted mine now and its cool, its the same filter as itg one in the pic, just undid the other one and put my new foam filter on then pushed it into the existing cowl thing that supplies the air to the normal filter. squashed it a bit but it fits in there with a bit of a shove. All cool so far and car seems to go better but it always goes well anyway!
All i need to do (i hope) is sort out my APC unit now with a replacement then I'm really flying..anyone with any ideas where i can get one then let me know!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts