SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have had my 06 SAAB 9-3 for a few months and I decided to not get rid of it cause i love it some much. Perfect combination of performance and class, I going to start working on first thing i want to do it put an intake on the car. Here is my idea, I want to mount an air filter directly on the turbo.

So my question is can I do it with out having any issues with the engine management system?

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
So i have had my 06 SAAB 9-3 for a few months and I decided to not get rid of it cause i love it some much. Perfect combination of performance and class, I going to start working on first thing i want to do it put an intake on the car. Here is my idea, I want to mount an air filter directly on the turbo.

So my question is can I do it with out having any issues with the engine management system?
well you can.............................................................................. i mean you can..........:roll::roll: this is really pointless bro just get an air intake or make your own. if you want to do your crazy idea you just need to make sure your maf is in between your turbo and air filter

·
Registered
2,392 Posts

Their would not really be a benefit to it. The stock airbox isnt even the choke point in a stock setup. But if you insist on this, just make sure and do as Paco said and make sure the MAF is still in the equation. Also make sure the diameter of where you install the MAF is the same, I believe its 2.25 inch diameter, but I could be wrong, just make sure you do the measurements and keep it the same. Or go the easy route and build yourself an air intake, or even easier and buy a BSR intake.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Their would not really be a benefit to it. The stock airbox isnt even the choke point in a stock setup. But if you insist on this, just make sure and do as Paco said and make sure the MAF is still in the equation. Also make sure the diameter of where you install the MAF is the same, I believe its 2.25 inch diameter, but I could be wrong, just make sure you do the measurements and keep it the same. Or go the easy route and build yourself an air intake, or even easier and buy a BSR intake.
2.5in for the maf pipe but it dosnt hurt to be smaller :D

·
Registered
2,392 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
lol i was attempting to make a custom intake today... all the left over silicone hose i have is 2.25in i had a 2.25 to 3in reducer i was pissed.
That sux! I feel your pain, I was just about ready to pull the trigger on your DIY FMIC, when I had to take my car to the shop, it was making "noises" I need new front struts....So I went with my motto of, if you are going to replace it, upgrade it! H&R lowering springs with Konis, hopefully getting installed next week!!!! but that means no more FMIC for the time being.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
That sux! I feel your pain, I was just about ready to pull the trigger on your DIY FMIC, when I had to take my car to the shop, it was making "noises" I need new front struts....So I went with my motto of, if you are going to replace it, upgrade it! H&R lowering springs with Konis, hopefully getting installed next week!!!! but that means no more FMIC for the time being.
ugh i need koni's im getting those kaw springs from saint faust and theres no way stock will last longer than 2 months that low, but i want some msr 045's

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wasn't dead set on it. I was just wondering if i could do and what the benifit would be with the turbo. This is the first time iv ever worked on a car with a turbo. So then would it just be better to do a Short ram intake then, Cause from what i have heard a CAI doesn't make much of a difference cause the turbo just warms the air back up.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
I wasn't dead set on it. I was just wondering if i could do and what the benifit would be with the turbo. This is the first time iv ever worked on a car with a turbo. So then would it just be better to do a Short ram intake then, Cause from what i have heard a CAI doesn't make much of a difference cause the turbo just warms the air back up.
short ram cai.... what difference does it make its a filter on a peice of pipe. its not a honda your not trying to squeeze 2 hp out of just the length of the pipe. in reality you will get the same power yeilds from a k&n drop in filter as if you were to get a bsr opti flow..... none lol :p

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Like Paco said, no performance gains from CAI, or drop in, the stock air box isnt the restriction point. If you want "the sound" get a drop in, or build a CAI, If you want performance, save your money and start elsewhere, tune, downpipe, exhaust etc.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea as i have been reading on this site i see that a CAI intake doesnt do much. So i will most likely start with a down pipe and exhaust any that you guys recommend? Also if ppl just want that sound of the turbo why not just take of the top part of the box and secure the filter. That way the filter is exposed and i would think it would give you just as much sound. or am i way off?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Yea as i have been reading on this site i see that a CAI intake doesnt do much. So i will most likely start with a down pipe and exhaust any that you guys recommend? Also if ppl just want that sound of the turbo why not just take of the top part of the box and secure the filter. That way the filter is exposed and i would think it would give you just as much sound. or am i way off?
You would want to cut the bottom part of the box off for that, as the top leads directly to the turbo.

I have the JT Exhaust. in fact their is another thread on exhausts already going.

Check this for your intake (its a DIY CAI thread) http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119594

and this for exhaust.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195516

Or this one http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194794

happy modding!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help guys...I will put some pics up once i start working on it, Should be next month (cash is short:cry:). If i have any other questions ill let you know

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
ugh i need koni's im getting those kaw springs from saint faust and theres no way stock will last longer than 2 months that low, but i want some msr 045's
yeah those 045's are sick, they're what im getting, even if faust doesnt want me too hahahahaha....debating between on color though

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Thanks for the help guys...I will put some pics up once i start working on it, Should be next month (cash is short:cry:). If i have any other questions ill let you know

Cool, maybe ill see you up at Bandimere next year :lol:

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I agree, I just looked them up, they do look sick! cant wait to see pics when you finally get them, you or JN2. LOL, now I want to see who gets em first!....ready......set.....RACE! :lol:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hell yea that, i was going to go this year to get some base line runs but on got rear ended on my way there and then i was going to go to the last test and tune but then i hit a deer and i didn't get my car back until last Friday and it still fills a bit iffy not quite the same. What is your car running in the 1/4?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
hell yea that, i was going to go this year to get some base line runs but on got rear ended on my way there and then i was going to go to the last test and tune but then i hit a deer and i didn't get my car back until last Friday and it still fills a bit iffy not quite the same. What is your car running in the 1/4?
Fastest time is a 15.185...but that was back when my clutch was slipping...Im optimistic and think I can get high 14's up here at 5800ft....that is my goal anyway.

I took my car down to sea level this summer, OMG am I jealous of all of those guys! Our cars are SOOOOOO slow up here!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ohh yea i know...I had a custom built 95 del-sol when i was living Florida my car was a beast. I wouldn't hesitate to race anything (except for one friends car but that's another story). I drove it up here and man it just would go like it used to. So long story short i took it back to florida and sold it. But i look at it this way if i can get my car to run in the high 14's then when i go back to florida i should be in the high 13's:cool:.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts