SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been of the view that the air filter box intake 'venturi' pipes as depicted in this pic of the air filter box and venturi pipe of my 81 turbo car:

http://www.classicsaab.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=10666

are something that were only fitted to c900's sold into the Australian market? All the info I've found in EPC, etc. suggests that most or all other markets received very different air filter box intake arrangements.

Can anyone provide some info and/or insight to determine whether or why Australian-market c900's get a venturi tube instead of something more elaborate?

Craig.

·
Registered
825 Posts
hey.

Hey,

If I want to put a sport air filter in my 900 insted of the big old air filter, is it possible?

I want a K-N Filter. But what size so it fits?

Thanks,
Mati

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mmustillo said:
Hey,

If I want to put a sport air filter in my 900 insted of the big old air filter, is it possible?

I want a K-N Filter. But what size so it fits?

Thanks,
Mati
I think the K&N part numbers are 4250 for the 8V version (shorter) and 4257 for the 16V size (taller). Check ebay listings to make sure I've got the numbers correct. I'm not sure what the equivalent ITG filter part numbers are if you wanted to use an ITG filter instead of K&N.

Craig.

·
Registered
825 Posts
c900 said:
I think the K&N part numbers are 4250 for the 8V version (shorter) and 4257 for the 16V size (taller). Check ebay listings to make sure I've got the numbers correct. I'm not sure what the equivalent ITG filter part numbers are if you wanted to use an ITG filter instead of K&N.

Craig.
Hi,

what is better?

I want something for the 16v, so bigger or the biggest there is that can fit.
And what is the difference if I will put a K-N filter in insted of the original saab one.?

Mati

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
not much...maybe a little more intake noise. Powergains are next to nothing

·
Registered
563 Posts
Craig, your site seems to be down.

Great site though, I was looking at it the other day.

On a side note, since you have disassembled a '83. Do you know where the central locking control unit is located. It doesn't seem to be under the knee bolster like on the later models.

Joe

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
c900 said:
I've been of the view that the air filter box intake 'venturi' pipes as depicted in this pic of the air filter box and venturi pipe of my 81 turbo car:

http://www.classicsaab.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=10666
The link doesn't work for me... Can't find the server.

I think the K&N part numbers are 4250 for the 8V version (shorter) and 4257 for the 16V size (taller).
I'd check what's in the car first. I had a filter through for my T16, and there was no WAY it was going to fit - it was about twice the height of the one in there. Dunno whether it's a Bosch/Lucas thing.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NSE said:
Craig, your site seems to be down.

Great site though, I was looking at it the other day.
Thanks - yes the DSL went down last night due to an unpaid data bill. I've got 512/512 DSL with a 25 GB cap, and I still had an excess data bill of $25 for the month of December unpaid. :cool: All sorted now.

On a side note, since you have disassembled a '83. Do you know where the central locking control unit is located. It doesn't seem to be under the knee bolster like on the later models.
Gotta be honest - I never found it in the 83 turbo but according to Noel Rietz's listings on ebay for central locking control boxes it does mount under the dash somewhere. None of my other Saab's except the 89 16V car have central locking and I haven't found where the control box is on that car. It's not working properly anyway due to incorrect re-wiring done by the smash repairer last year...

The page in EPC about central locking seems to indicate that the control box mounts to the bottom of the big formed metal bar giving the dash and A-pillars they're structural support, but that's just a guess based on where the 'dot' on the exploded diagram is positioned. Doesn't really make sense though since the lower dash would get in the way. SOmeone will know!

Regards,

Craig.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
c900 said:
All sorted now.
And working here, too.

I know ADR did all sorts of strange things to Citroens of around that same period, so it really wouldn't surprise me.

Gotta be honest - I never found it in the 83 turbo but according to Noel Rietz's listings on ebay for central locking control boxes it does mount under the dash somewhere. None of my other Saab's except the 89 16V car have central locking and I haven't found where the control box is on that car.

The page in EPC about central locking seems to indicate that the control box mounts to the bottom of the big formed metal bar giving the dash and A-pillars they're structural support, but that's just a guess based on where the 'dot' on the exploded diagram is positioned. Doesn't really make sense though since the lower dash would get in the way. SOmeone will know!
Assuming it's the same as a UK RHD '90 car, it couldn't be easier.

Down in the passenger - LH - footwell, and remove the single torx screw from the air vent tube, just at the bottom lip of the under-dash kneeroll. Pull the vent down slightly, and you'll see the locking box clipped to the top of it! Slide it towards the outer end of the vent tube slightly, and the bracket just removes from the vent. Total time, about one minute - including finding the right torx key.

·
Registered
563 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
Assuming it's the same as a UK RHD '90 car, it couldn't be easier.

Down in the passenger - LH - footwell, and remove the single torx screw from the air vent tube, just at the bottom lip of the under-dash kneeroll. Pull the vent down slightly, and you'll see the locking box clipped to the top of it! Slide it towards the outer end of the vent tube slightly, and the bracket just removes from the vent. Total time, about one minute - including finding the right torx key.
Hmm, that is where I thought it was suppose to be but it doesn't seem to be there on my car. Thinking it might be missing, I looked around for the wiring and couldn't see anything in the area.
I suspect it's located somewhere else on '83's. I've looked all under the dash, under the rear seat, and in the engine bay. I guess the next thing to do is trace the wires. I can see where they all meet inside the fender on the right side.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Next question is where does one find the 'snorkel' type air filter box intakes for the 8 and 16V filter boxes? Reason I want one (16V especially) is that I want to add an intercooler to the 16V car when I add the turbo to it and need to get a better raw cold-air intake setup.

That said, there is probably a lot of good points with the venturi tube intake since it's only a single 90 degree bend so flow restriction is not too bad, excepting the venturi design (which must be there for some reason?).

EPC isn't really clear on what the alternative air intake arrangments for the 8V filter boxes look like - anyone got some good hi-res pics of the various configurations?

Craig.

·
Registered
563 Posts
This is the only photo I could find of my stock setup. It looked very restrictive to me, so I removed it shortly after getting the car. I replaced the snorkel with a straight pipe aiming below the headlight. I think what you have is probably better.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
What's with the fuel filter in the engine bay? Is it in addition to the normal one, up above the rear suspension, or replacing it?
That's where the fuel filter was sited on the earlier cars. My '85 had it in that location, too. It presumably changed with the facelift (1987?) to the rear wheel arch, closer to the fuel tank.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TooMany2cvs said:
What's with the fuel filter in the engine bay? Is it in addition to the normal one, up above the rear suspension, or replacing it?
That's the normal location for the fuel filter on 8V c900's. IMHO it's so much better than having it under the back of the car (where the fuel accumulator lives on 8V's) near the rear axle since it's doing the filtering immediately before the fuel distributor's fuel intake port.

At least I can get an idea of how the 'snorkel' setup comes out to the top of the engine bay on US 8V's. The 16V setup seems neater. I guess the 16V filter box is designed to accomodate intercooling in turbo cars since the port into the filter box is in a completely different location (pointing back instead of pointing front) on 16V's.

Craig.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts