SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Ac has never worked in my 92 900S, since i got it a year ago. In all that i have read here i have a few questions. first ill say all the AC components seem to work, it just doesnt blow cold AC

1. Can i just "recharge" or "regass" the AC system. What do i need to do it, and WHERE do i put the gas in?

2. Do i NEEd ot convert my AC from R-12 type to the R-134?

I basically want to try re gassing the Ac to see if thats my only issue, which in reading throgh alot of the other AC threads, this seems to be th eonly issue. is there any DIY pics anywhere for re gassing the AC/?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
so you mean you compressor kicks on but no cold air will blow? if this is the case you have a bad component somewhere. if the compressor doesn't click on-chances are you have a leak and the gas left, the main hose unit was my issue, to swtich to r134a you also need to replace the receiver dryer(at least), evacuate the system after a pressure test then re-oil (r-134a oil) and gas it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can i just gas it with R12 and see if it gets cool, or is it likly a component issue. ill do more reseach on the car tonight to see what works and doest and report back definit info.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
considering r-12 costs about a kings ransome you don't want to go putting gas in when you don't know what is up. ideally you want r-12, i wish i had done it, oh well. either way, press the button, does the compressor spin, does it make that little cartoon sound (ding) and does a radiator fan turn on? this tells a lot! if this doesn't happen you want to get a pressure test done. even if you did gas it and it worked-3 days later tha gas may all leave and you out a lot of money for r-12!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Look on the passenger side inner fender after you raise the hood. If your car was converted by Saab it will have a sticker. If not???? I would take it to an A/C shop and ask. If it hasn't been converted I would get a new dryer and get it recharged with R-12. It blows much cooler. It runs about 27.00 a lb vs 14.50 for R-134.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, i can hear the compressor kick on, with the little cartoon sound, and i hear and see the front fan fire on, so i know all that works. the compressor says r-12 on it, so i guess it hasnt been converted, but all mecahnics seems to work fine. i didnt look for a dealer conversion stucker yet tho. When it is said the r-12 cost a kings ransom, how much is that in US dollars? can someone point me to an online source for it so i know what im looking for? also, what part is the dryer?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Your best bet really is to take it to a mechanic to have them test the A/C system. The freon may just need to be recharged, usually this service is @ $75.00. Most places even offer a free A/C check up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im trying to avoid the shop as i dont want to put money into the car that i dont need to. if i take it to a shop they will bend me over in labor. if i just need to add freon, how can i do this myself? i dont know which kit i need. this is all iam asking i guess at this point.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You have to have a licence to buy freon....at least you do in Florida, I would imagine it is nationwide here in the states. Even if you could purchase the freon you need a machine to vaccum the system to remove all of it and then fill it with new gas. That is why a freon system is best to take it to a shop.

See if you can find one that offers a free A/C check up, that way if they say something is broken, you can find out which part it is and then take it home and replace it to avoid any labor charges :cheesy:.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, so the new alternative to FREON, i can only use if my system has been changed over to the new coolant? ill look to see if i have the mentioned sticker indicating i have been changed over, if i have i can do it myself, if no, i need to go to a shop? if i can use the new stuff, i wouldnt mind buying the gas to see if it holds, and if not THEN go to a shop. one other thing, when or if my sistem was changed over, would the compressor still say R-12 on it?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Save the Ozone: take it to a professional qualified AutoAirconditioning Shop

Airconditioning refrigerants are lighter than air and rise up to the stratosphere where they combine with other elements ultimately destroying the ozone. (Thats the stuff that helps protect us from Ultra Violet radiation from the sun.) Refrigerants like R-11 , R-12 are higher efficiency but last from 60-400 years. Plenty of skin cancer for our offspring.
The newer refrigerants are less efficient but bio-degrade much sooner.
A qualified shop will add oil, which may have leaked out of your system. Run it without oil and destroy the compressor. Add too much oil and same result. (Foamed oil does not pump or lubricate very well.) An AC system needs to be evacuated and dehydrated when it is out of service due to leaks.
AC work is not simple plumbing or electrical work. You will need a gage manifold set, a high vacuum pump and vacuum gage to do the job correctly and to see if you can hold a vacuum. This is an efficient and environmentally safe way to leak check by the way. If it won't hold a vacuum of so many microns, then it has a leak. Don't leak check by discharging even more refrigerant into the atmosphere. This is serious stuff.
Check out this Canadian website which explains it pretty well.
http://www3.gov.ab.ca/env/protenf/approvals/factsheets/refriger.html
In any caseBoth CFCs and HCFCs can deplete the ozone layer. When released into the air intentionally or unintentionally, they slowly rise into the atmosphere. Between 15-40 kilometres above the earth's surface, the sun's ultraviolet rays break down the CFC and HCFC molecules. This creates a harmful chlorine by-product (chlorine monoxide), which can destroy ozone molecules. Each chlorine molecules can destroy tens of thousands of ozone molecules. These chlorine molecules can remain in the ozone layer causing damage for 60-400 years.
Again, let professionals handle this stuff.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
An advanced search of this Forum for air conditioning will give you 5 pages of postings, many with DIY advice:)

Forget about R-12; it's getting impossible to find here in New England. Read some of the info on converting to R-134a. And yes, you can do a thorough job of it yourself, and save a lot of money in the process.

Begin by having the system evacuated by a garage, to recapture any R-12 (though I doubt there's any left in there). Then, replace the consumable parts (about $110 total for combo hose, receiver/dryer, O-rings; check www.eeuroparts.com) and buy a DIY recharge kit (about $30--comes with hose, gauge, and 3 cans of R-134a with compressor oil already in them) and adaptor fittings (kit, $10) for the back of the compressor.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
the creator of CFC's who worked for GM to develop the product killed himself when they discovered what was happening. our ozone depletion is critical now. r-12 shoudl be 100% outlawed, some countires still produce it, and many people in canada and the united states purchase, sell, and use it illeagally. the point is, even if you correctly charge with r-12 it will leak out eventually. there is enough r-12 in a saab to cause very detectable damage in the ozone. i'm not one who cares strongly about the enviroment, i can put up with solid waste, and i'm not a perfect recycler, but the ozone is no joke, humans can't "fix" that! so please just use r-134a, it will do the trick! in 100+F california heat my friend complained he was cold, it took a while but it does the trick. you may need a higher fan setting, it takes a bit to cool, it isn't as cold, the compressor works harder and the car suffers a bit, but just put up with it!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Do It yourself job on the Ozone

Again, no mention of finding and fixing the leak.
the first step is not to Charge the system regardless of the type or amount of refrigerant. The first step is to a) find the leak, b)fix it, c)prepare the system to recieve oil and refrigerant, and then finally d) charge it properly and test the system.You certainly can do it yourself if you have the proper training, tools, equipment, supplies,and respect for the environment (read your and everyone elses yet-unborn great grandchildren's health and well being.)
This is not like spilling oil on the garage floor.
In the new movie War of The Worlds, I think the first thing the aliens did was to issue a long list of how we were already destroying the earth....they just wanted to help us speed up the process.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
great info everyone, i might just bring it to a shop to do it then, im not experienced enough to do all the system testing, so i would need assistance there.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
This Forum is not a soapbox for propounding environmentalist (or any other) dogma.

Anyone who wishes to discuss environmental (and other) issues affecting our cars is welcome to do so, but in the Lounge.

Please, let's stick to technical issues in this Forum.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i just my ac recharged (and retrofitted to the new stuff) because its nice and legal here, and it doesn't always work. the issue doesn't seem to be with the ac..but rather with the climate system not working correctly. sometimes when i turn it to vents, the air comes out of all the vents, sometimes only the bottom one on the center, and very little on the sides. its at these times the ac doesn't cool down at all. it seems to me the ac is working, but not making it into the bloody cabin of the car. this happen to anyone before?

btw well said profz!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Well the whole system works by vacuum & all the flaps are operated by little vac servo's, so look around for any sticking vents or vac pipes that are off or split.

There is a diagram in the Bentley Manual showing all the locations of the servo's.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
To add to john-w's advice, you might want to start by following the vacuum line from the intake manifold to the vacuum tank. These lines often crack with age, especially where they push onto a fitting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts