SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im 17 and am looking to buy a 1989 saab 900s from a friend it is a good price and has lots of new stuff and parts in it however my pysco parents are saying i cant get it because it doesnt have air bags is there any modification or anything i can do for CHEAP or reasonable proximity there of to thwart my evil psyco saab hating air bag needing parents?

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
yep... tell them how safe a saab is, even without airbags.

when I was 17 my parents didn't want me getting a convertible saab because they were worried about a rollover accident. So, I did some research and found out that SAAB engineers thought of this, and reinforced the windshield a-pillars into a rollcage-like structure that is made to withstand a rollover. Then after finding a few stories about people surviving insane accidents in saabs, I won 'em over.

so find some info about how safe the c900's are. research the reinforced unibody, the collapsable steering column, the crumple-zones, blah blah blah. A little knowledge can be the best weapon against yours psycho-parents.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I will tell you a few stories about Saabs and accidents. I had an 87 900T as my first car and went off the road over a curb and hit a street pole in the process of avoiding another accident and all that was damaged was the plastic side panel just behind the bumper. Second my brother crashed an 86 900S 8v into a gravel pile at 70 mph without his seat belt,the entire engine was pushed back into the firewall and the front end pretty well, you know, he walked away with only a broken nose, and the front padded bumper was still in good shape. Third and final i got a loaner saab from my dad while i repaired a headgasket on my 86 SPG, it was a 90 or 91 900S 16v 5-speed, not 2 minutes from my dads shop i hit a deer at 60 mph, no airbag went off, all the was damaged was the headlight and turn signal assemblies and the radiator core support (entirely replaceable) but the front bumper was in perfect shape as if nothing ever happened to it, now have you parents take their "safe" car and have them hit a deer at 60 mph and see how theirs looks compared to that.

Hopefully those stories help you out, and if they give you crap about it message me and i'll even have a word with them =P

·
Registered
226 Posts
http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/ssl/

and this...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1986381171906723167&q=saab

I was just watching.... go to 13:51 - "What is the safest Sedan on the road?" ad from 1992. Yep, Saab 900.

Their tagline was "We don't make compromises, we make Saabs." - makes you feel all fuzzy inside, don't it? ;-) I wish they started making Saabs again, instead of rebadging Opels/Holdens/GMisms.... (end rant)

The most impresive thing you can probably convey to someone about Saab safety quickly (without crashing your car into something) are the doors. They're heavy, heavy bank vaults when most other cars (especially back then) felt like tinfoil. There's a massive bar of solid steel in there to stop cars t-boning you from ending up in your lap. My grandfather thought getting a Saab was a bad idea, but he was impressed with the doors...

Let us know if you convince your parents... we can always mail bomb them if need be ;-)

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
workasaab said:
hi im 17 and am looking to buy a 1989 saab 900s from a friend it is a good price and has lots of new stuff and parts in it however my pysco parents are saying i cant get it because it doesnt have air bags is there any modification or anything i can do for CHEAP or reasonable proximity there of to thwart my evil psyco saab hating air bag needing parents?
I do sympathize. My wife insisted that her daughter have a car with an air bag so she ended up with a tiny Fiat Siecento, probably made out of reconstituted cereal packets 'but at least it's got an air bag'.

My son is learning to drive; guess what i've got him? Yep a c900i. If the Fiat and the 900 were to collide I know which car and occupant i'd put my money on!

Signed

A Concerned Parent.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Airbags do not a safe car make! My dad had a Mazda Miata for a short time. It had an airbag. It was also like driving a beer can on wheels. My wife's car has like 10 airbags. That might be safe. One for the driver is only good head-on. Remember that.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
You could install an airbag system from a newer 900 model. You need the two accelerometer switches, the ECU, the bag itself, the clockspring on the column to connect to the bag, the appropriate steering wheel and wiring.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
900t said:
You could install an airbag system from a newer 900 model. You need the two accelerometer switches, the ECU, the bag itself, the clockspring on the column to connect to the bag, the appropriate steering wheel and wiring.
This is not a trivial task. Installing the orange box (ECU) in the dash for the airbag is going to be a HUGE job. Hell, just *removing* one from an existing car is a major undertaking.

workasaab: Your parents are not "pyscho," they're simply looking to keep you safe. With today's airbag technology, I personally would not allow a child of mine to drive a car that did not have full front and side airbags, especially with 50% of vehicles on the road being SUVs.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
gorper said:
With today's airbag technology, I personally would not allow a child of mine to drive a car that did not have full front and side airbags, especially with 50% of vehicles on the road being SUVs.
SUV safety: just another of many reasons i despise SUVs

·
Registered
831 Posts
Just tell them about the moose tests:cheesy:.

Oh, and another story for you - The SAAB that I was going to buy before I bought mine was being sold by a guy that loved SAABs. He had had like 3 already. His previous one had been totaled when he was sitting at a light and some idiot came bareling off the off-ramp to the freeway. Unfortunately for my seller friend, he was currently making a left-hand turn towards the guy at the time and they collided head-on:eek:...the car that hit him was doing 50 and he was doing prolly like 10 or so. Front end on SAAB - toast. SAAB driver - maybe a bruise. Other car - completely toast. Other driver - hospital.:cool:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I actually have two testimonials for ya.

first, my sisters boyfriend had a 1993 900 turbo. going 70 mph around a turn hit some loose gravel and flipped about 10 feet down into a rocky creek bed. Landed on the roof of the car. Both of them walked away from the wreck. Paramedics said anything less than a SAAB and it could have been fatal. Car was demolished, but saved their lives!

secondly I wrecked my dads 1996 900s (was driving it while my saab was in the shop). I fell asleep on my way home from a soccer game at about 11:45ish pm. I think I hit the guard rail at about 35 mph head on.

Tore a hole in the bumper shatterd the headlights, and grille and bend part of the hood, but I put it in reverse and backed out from the rail and drove the last 5 miles home. Fixed the car and its like brand new. ooh yeah and BTW no air bag deployment so that was good.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i know

gorper said:
workasaab: Your parents are not "pyscho," they're simply looking to keep you safe. With today's airbag technology, I personally would not allow a child of mine to drive a car that did not have full front and side airbags, especially with 50% of vehicles on the road being SUVs.
I realize they arent actually pyscho but i was rather unhappy at them for, in my eyes trying to stop my education (working on cars) and their need to think that i cannot think for myself, have have been through drivers ed with a police officer that went above and beyond the curriculum and have also been through a professional driving course that was done by retired officers and the like, it put me through if i accidently drop two wheels of the road, and evassive meneuvors in a car WITHOUT antilock my reaction times have been tested in uncontrolled instances and have yet to get into a wreck

to be honest i kno my rents and they are simply being paranoid

this should help greatly in my struggle to get the saab

·
Registered
762 Posts
My close friend (and teacher from highschool) who turned me on to saabs, he tought me a TON about the c900 and essentially got me to where I am today as far as mechanical knowledge. He has always trusted himself and his family with c900's...and eventually I found out why-

As I was working with him on my car one night we learned that his sister was in a serious head on collision. She and her son were driving at about 55mph in a snow storm when a man driving a 1980s GM full sized sedan driving at about 55 mph plowed into her HEAD ON! The impact was direct and square on - she did not have driver or passneger side airbags on her 1988 c900 4 door...the only injuries sustained were a broken finger on her son and some bruising from the seatbelts to her and her son. The driver of the full sized GM was not as lucky, he was not wearing a seatbelt and had more serious injuries.

This is a SAAB is currently sits a a local dealer, the passenger (Ben Andrews) and the driver were in good shapre after the accident, and Ben actually sold me a transmission for my car this winter! The car looks trashed, and did not have airbags, but the car performed as it should and the passenger safety cage was still well in tact after the accident.

Link to the full story
http://www.andrewsofprinceton.com/autobody/index.cfm

I wouldn't trust my life to anything but a swedish car - SAAB or Volvo!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank You eveyone

i really appreciated the posts, my dad finally caved to the awesome power of saab and i will be getting it shortly :lol:

i am ssoooooo excited

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
12 Participants
wikkedsnaab
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing