SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
** Update: 1-21-20. Had the code read. B2863, side airbag (driver), open circuit. Code cleared and has not returned. Possibly due to having simply bumped the connector under the seat while vacuuming (with the ignition off). Moral of the story: Don't vacuum under your seats without disconnecting the battery, or better yet, just leave that rubbish under there! **

I was tinkering with some things on the car (2002 9-3) in the garage. I drive out of the garage and get greeted by the air bag light. All I had been doing was dealing with water leaks in the trunk area, replacing a couple vacuum lines, and I did vacuum out the interior, including under the seats...

I have since checked all connections under the seats, and everything appears good. I didn't disconnect and reconnect anything, just made sure they were secure.

Could just be a coincidence, but the timing of the light coming on is rather curious.

Any ideas for other things to check before having to get the code read?

The clock spring is good.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Maybe something got bumped? I would drive around for a few days to see if it resets before going to the trouble of getting codes read.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering if that could be a possibility. Are these systems really that sensitive? Thanks for the input!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I triggered the light by turning on with a seat out. The light self-cancelled after a while, and I believe it’s based on a number of starts after the system detects no fault. So if you’ve re-made the connection you broke, it’s counting down.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing was actually disconnected. I did think of another possibility though. A couple months ago I replaced the passenger door. I checked the locking ring on the door connector, and it was loose (not fully locked into place).

I'll give it a while and see if the light goes out.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Was the ignition on while poking under the seats? That would do it if you poked a connector with a marginal connection. Then again, it could still have an ongoing issue after being poked and that's why the light came on when you started the car.

It can be a long while. I thought it was "starts", so I decided to "double start" every time I started the car (start, shut off, restart). So on one drive somewhere, you'd get 4 starts. I did this for a several weeks... no joy. Still took about a month to reset (typical). So, I think it's "drive cycles", not "start cycles".

Anyone around you with a Tech II that will read/reset the code for you? Reasonable shops will do it gratis or for $25. Or you could check the Tech II forum - there's a sticky with people who have Tech II's and offer services. That way you know what caused it and whether it's on-going... and will eventually go off - or not.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The ignition was off. When I checked the connections under the seats, nothing clicked as I checked the connectors, so none were partially unplugged.

Will look into seeing if anyone in the area has a tech 2.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
If there's a dirty/aged connection inside the large seat connector, a bump could do it. You can check the WIS to find the pins in question. Might be work cleaning them just in case (ignition off).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I disconnected the large gray connectors. All contacts were nice and clean.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
I would be looking for a Tech 2 and seeing what the codes are, clearing the codes and seeing if it comes back.
As others have said It may reset based on drive/start cycles , but in the meantime its inoperative ....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts