SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are some of the benifits of running air/to water intercooler vs a air to air intercooler ? i know water is better at transfering heat and the air has a shorter route to the engine so there is less pressure drop.and there smaller so its easier to mount them but i also heard they suffer from mechanical issues often? is this ture? but then on the same note and air to air intercooler. theres no water lines to worry about but there is the issue of mounting and the issue of how long the air has to travel before it reaches the motor thus more pressure drop and the sht load of pipeing to figure out ? the reason why i ask is i know our saab turbos are oil and water cooled so would an air to water intercooler make a big diffrence vs a air to air ?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Read about both types here.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive read about both types im just asking from personal user exp my saab isnt anything special just a 9.5 non aero that im in the process of making an aero hybrid out of after next week it will be at stage 1 reading up on it though it seems air/air is the way to go unless its going on a drag racing app

·
Registered
777 Posts
Looks like the only reason to run liquid/fuel intercoolers is if you had a mid or rear engine car.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
ive read about both types im just asking from personal user exp my saab isnt anything special just a 9.5 non aero that im in the process of making an aero hybrid out of after next week it will be at stage 1 reading up on it though it seems air/air is the way to go unless its going on a drag racing app

Reading about both types would answer the question, and also reinforce why air-to-air is the best all-around type.

·
Registered
120 Posts
From experience air/water intercoolers are only good for drag cars or time attack cars. Once your water has absorb enough heat it doesn't cool your air charge much anymore.

An air/air setup has constant supply of fresh air so it is more consistent, a lot simpler and reliable as well as ligther. With water/meth injection you can get similar results as an air/water intercooler for drag runs or time attacks too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts