SaabCentral Forums banner

Agrivating noises!!

202 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  bob3000
To start: 2007 9-5 Wagon-223k automatic.

Multiple front end noises but at different times. When stopped and ready to take off, a small click/clunk. Not 100% of the time but likely dependent on how much throttle applied from a stop. My first guess is torque arm bushing (which "looks" ok from the side). I did remove the lower bolt when replacing the rear engine mount but bolt really cant move once it's fully seated/installed. Horseshoe engine mount (starboard side) has already been replaced (before the rear was found completely failed) but it could be suspect again....I dont know the lifespan of these.

What really chaps my @SS is the sound I get when braking and making a right hand turn. I get a different clunk from starboard side of front end. My first thought was sway bar end link but the nuts are tight and prying on the link doesnt show any movement. Suspension (struts/shocks/end links/bearings and mounts) are all new. At times, this clunk will reproduce itself when stopping in a straight line but not until I am almost at a complete stop. For example when stopping at a light and braking from 50mph, around 5mph I will hear the clunk..

Maybe its a bent strut (i hope not) but I dont get any weird noises over normal straight line conditions. Backing out of my driveway turning left will make a similar sound as well, like the wheel just fell into a pothole that isnt there.

I do have powerflex subframe bushings to go in, just need to actually take the time to install them. But if I need to order some parts (like a new torque rod/PF bushing) I'd like to do so as well.

I've had a few vehicles with bad CV axles and they usually have multiple clunks like going up a steep rollercoaster from the beginning but this is always just one clunk.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
11,884 Posts
I get an occasional mild "tonk!" sound when gently getting on the power or taking it off--manual trans. I replaced the dogbone, the other mounts all appear to be good, so it remains a mystery I'm unlikely to solve. Perhaps you are getting the same with your first aggravating noise.

For the other noises, I would suggest checking carefully the ball joints. If you are by yourself, jack the front of the car up and steer the wheels side to side by hand, looking for funny movement in the ball joints. If you have assistance, CAREFULLY watch the ball joints while helper turns steering wheel side to side.

· Registered
2,841 Posts
To start: 2007 9-5 Wagon-223k automatic.

Multiple front end noises but at different times. When stopped and ready to take off, a small click/clunk. Not 100% of the time but likely dependent on how much throttle applied from a stop. My first guess is torque arm bushing (which "looks" ok from the side). I did remove the lower bolt when replacing the rear engine mount but bolt really cant move once it's fully seated/installed. Horseshoe engine mount (starboard side) has already been replaced (before the rear was found completely failed) but it could be suspect again....I dont know the lifespan of these.

What really chaps my @SS is the sound I get when braking and making a right hand turn. I get a different clunk from starboard side of front end. My first thought was sway bar end link but the nuts are tight and prying on the link doesnt show any movement. Suspension (struts/shocks/end links/bearings and mounts) are all new. At times, this clunk will reproduce itself when stopping in a straight line but not until I am almost at a complete stop. For example when stopping at a light and braking from 50mph, around 5mph I will hear the clunk..

Maybe its a bent strut (i hope not) but I dont get any weird noises over normal straight line conditions. Backing out of my driveway turning left will make a similar sound as well, like the wheel just fell into a pothole that isnt there.

I do have powerflex subframe bushings to go in, just need to actually take the time to install them. But if I need to order some parts (like a new torque rod/PF bushing) I'd like to do so as well.

I've had a few vehicles with bad CV axles and they usually have multiple clunks like going up a steep rollercoaster from the beginning but this is always just one clunk.
I'd say do those subframe bushings and re-check for sounds. Mine had gone bad at 110K miles and made all kinds of clunks.

· Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get an occasional mild "tonk!" sound when gently getting on the power or taking it off--manual trans. I replaced the dogbone, the other mounts all appear to be good, so it remains a mystery I'm unlikely to solve. Perhaps you are getting the same with your first aggravating noise.

For the other noises, I would suggest checking carefully the ball joints. If you are by yourself, jack the front of the car up and steer the wheels side to side by hand, looking for funny movement in the ball joints. If you have assistance, CAREFULLY watch the ball joints while helper turns steering wheel side to side.

I will say that as far as the rear mount goes, unless you are underneath the car or at best remove the rear mount, you can't see from the top if it's good since it's under its own weight.

· Registered
11,884 Posts
If I recall, the shop replaced the rear mount with a good quality unit. After doing the change myself on the NG900, I did not care to do it in my driveway on the 9-5.

Did not fix the "tonk".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts