SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to pass along that I was able to get an agreed value insurance policy through Hagerty for my '02 9-3. Other companies offer agreed value policies as well. Anyways, if your Saab isn't your daily driver, it's a great way to insure it for what it's actually worth. It also cost me about half what State Farm was charging me.

It's worth looking into as it would be a real struggle to get anywhere near actual value with a regular policy.

I have no affiliation with Hagerty, and like I said, other companies offer agreed value policies. I've just had good experiences with Hagerty, as I have had my Land Rover insured with them for a few years now. I was pleasantly surprised that they would insure something as "new" as a 2002 model.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Is this classic car insurance or some other type of specialty policy? Usually companies like Hagerty have severe limitations on what you can do with the car... the specialty insurance on my '67 Cadillac for example does not cover "running errands." If the car got hit in. Home Depot parking lot I'd probably be SOL.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are a classic insurance company, but without mileage or major restrictions. I think they are a bit more open minded in regards to newer vehicles. It can't be a daily driver though, such as driving to work every day. I explained that I have multiple vehicles and usually drive the Saab about three times a week. They had no problem with that. They don't restrict where you can go. The coverage is valid at Home Depot. lol

When you call them, they ask questions about your usage and situation.

If your Saab is your primary car, it wouldn't be the right kind of policy. But if you have multiple cars, it can be a good way to cover all your hard work if something happens to it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
If your driving fits the specialty insurance criteria, it can save you a lot of money.

But even regular insurance companies can offer agreed value. You may have to get the car appraised, and you may pay somewhat extra.

However, if you have a mint NG900/OG9-3, and you want coverage for the car, you should get agreed value. Because otherwise, the insurance company will total your car for $500 in damage, because most of these cars are basically worth scrap these days on the wholesale market. A sensible agreed value will give you the money to replace your car with a similarly nice Saab.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just wanted to pass along that I was able to get an agreed value insurance policy through Hagerty for my '02 9-3. Other companies offer agreed value policies as well. Anyways, if your Saab isn't your daily driver, it's a great way to insure it for what it's actually worth. It also cost me about half what State Farm was charging me.

It's worth looking into as it would be a real struggle to get anywhere near actual value with a regular policy.

I have no affiliation with Hagerty, and like I said, other companies offer agreed value policies. I've just had good experiences with Hagerty, as I have had my Land Rover insured with them for a few years now. I was pleasantly surprised that they would insure something as "new" as a 2002 model.
That's funny, I called them and they would not insure my viggen. Told me it was not considered a rare or valuable car.

·
Registered
30 Posts

That's funny, I called them and they would not insure my viggen. Told me it was not considered a rare or valuable car. This was about 7 months ago.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's lousy. It may be worth trying again. Perhaps I was lucky, as the agent I spoke with was even familiar with Saab, and was looking at a convertible.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Observation here: I found that with agreed value also - the next year the policy cost might remain the same, however the value for the vehicle drops slightly. You might want to watch out for that. I set a $ value for my Aero based on market + the modifications and the items that I had replaced.
** however that was Australian and NZ insurance companies. In the US you have a greater range of companies.

·
Registered
358 Posts
That's funny, I called them and they would not insure my viggen. Told me it was not considered a rare or valuable car. This was about 7 months ago.
Maybe you need to quote production numbers for Viggens in the US. Then maybe they will understand the 'rare' factor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think I will call them again on monday to see if I have any better luck. I will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I think I will call them again on monday to see if I have any better luck. I will keep you all posted.
We had Hagerty (Canada) come to our club meeting. The upshot is pretty much that just about any Saab is "collectible" due to low production numbers. There is no way a Viggen does not meet their criteria. Looking at their online quote system, they sure know what a Viggen is. You might want to try that: hagerty.com

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anyone no what the max agreed value you can get on a viggen, or is it based on what monthly payment you pick. Also what happens if haggerty agrees it's worth 8500 but a person hits you and totals it and they have state farm and state farm only agree it's worth 750. Does haggertys go after state farm or do they still pay you your agreed value?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From what I understand, the agreed value has you covered regardless of the other driver's insurance company.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok. That's what I thought. But that is one of the questions I'll ask when I call them tomorrow. I'll post what ever viable info they can give me thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Talked to hagerty today and wow, what an easy company to deal with. Setting up my policy when I get home. And yes it doesn't matter who's at fault they will give you the total agreed value for the vehicle if it is totaled. Also I was told they are not really concerned about the mileage driven a year. They dont even ask for the current mileage. I would assume if this was a super valuable car they would. Anyway if anyone is on the fence about getting insurance that actually looks out for you and your ride give them a call.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad it went well. It's nice to know that it wouldn't end with a $500 check if something unfortunate happens.

I think most insurance companies would assume they aren't worth much because they are so readily available for very little money. They don't realize or care that those cars are mostly neglected basket cases that would need thousands worth of repairs to be brought up to the level of most enthusiast owned cars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agreed. I like to see them try and replace an 01 laser red viggen when there were only like 62 built that year. And then take into consideration how many have gone to the boneyard. I doubt there are more then 50 even left. Much less if it was monte carlo yellow. Probally less than 20 of those out there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts