SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 9-3 needs a battery. Has anyone tried an AGM battery?

Quality lead acid batteries have jumped in price due to tarriff wars. Canadian Tire has Eliminator AGM batteries on sale for $220 after core exchange. Five years free replacement warranty.

Only disadvantages I see when reading up on AGM batteries is that they don't handle overcharging. Does anyone know what the set point of the NG9-3s electrical system is? (My car is parked without a battery in it right now, so no I can't check it for myself.) 14.4V is pretty much the max an AGM battery likes to see, and if it's fully charged it likes to see less.

Doing a search gives lots of contradictory opinions on AGM batteries in general.

Note the five year free replacement warranty. The Canadian Tire person I talked to said that it was basically unconditional. Not that I believe everything (or even most things) they say. The 9-3, being a convertible, may sit for weeks at a time in bad weather. If that kills the battery, I get a new one.

(My father, in the good ol' days, bought an Eliminator battery back when it was a LIFETIME warranty if installed in the same vehicle. Little did Canadian Tire realize that he was going to drive that 1980 pickup into the 2010s. That learned 'em, and the lifetime warranty is long gone.)

·
Super Moderator
20,253 Posts
Props to your pops. I think it would be fine running an AGM.

·
Super Moderator
9,124 Posts
pretty sure agm batts have a slightly lower charging voltage(around 13.4-13.9v) than the saab(14.4v)has when fully charged,same applies when it's in a heavy discharged state(charging voltage is higher) more like 15v

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I have a Bosch AGM in my Aero and has been good so far. I went with this battery with the hope it will last longer than a regular battery. Going strong for about 2 years now.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I stopped by another place that can sell me a Delphi battery for $100 less. This is the same battery as I have in the 9-5. Seems like a sensible purchase.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So previously I got prices (in Canadian dollars, because that's where I am) for a good quality battery of considerably over $200 for a NAPA Legend or AC Delco Professional. At that price, picking up a $220 AGM battery made sense. But when I checked with the place I got the battery for my 9-5 (it's the same battery) the price was under $130--all prices factor in core exchange. So instead of trying an AGM, I just got the Delphi Maxstart. 70 Ah, 750 cold cranking amps, 120 minute reserve capacity, and 42 month free replacement warranty.

It pays to shop around.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
I use original SAAB battery in my Saabs.
Manufacturer is Exide, but Orio gives better price and warranty (and Saab stickers).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts