SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'08 stick kombi B207R
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just got the car and wanted to improve my lighting. Honestly it probably would've been fine with some nice expensive bulbs but I decided to go HID. I hoped on the forum and quickly discovered this wasn't going to be easy with the canbus on this car. I ordered this kit for $34.98 AC 55W H13/9008 Hi-Low Dual Beam HID Headlight Kit Slim Canbus Ballasts 10000k | eBay and I hooked everything up last week and the lights turned on, I got messages for my headlight bulbs being out and I was ready to live with that as I don't have a techII setup yet. I backed out and as soon as I got 10-20 feet down the road the right light turned off and then the left. Back in the driveway they kept turning off even parked. I messaged the seller and told them what happened. Their listing stated error canceling canbus so I told them they didn't work since some new hid boxes have them built in. He offered to send me error cancelers and I just plugged them in today and the hid kit works, doesn't turn off or flicker, and no false bulb alarms. I never switched it to hid either with techII, it just works.

·
Registered
10,536 Posts
A $35 kit is not likely to work for long, unfortunately. There's a reason OEM bulbs (never mind the rest of the kit) are more like $100 each.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would have gone with a more quality kit personally, but they'll all "work". With such a cheap kit you probably have a short life expectancy on the ballasts, bulbs which are not the stated temperature & may become uneven in color as they get some run time on them. Last but not least cheap HID bulbs can damage the projector housing significantly quicker which causes even brand new bulbs to be very dim...that all has something to do with bulb materials/construction & UV light production or something along those lines. If you have old headlight housings it probably doesn't matter, if you have new ones they will likely show damaged within a few yrs (2 - 3).

I also used an HID kit to replace my halogen low beams. Its very easy to do & I found it cheaper & easier than trying to deal with any of the Saab branded stuff. I didn't use any Canbus error chancellor & juat switched the lights to Xenon in techII. I also switched settings to disable the auto low beams...this prolongs the life of HID bulbs significantly. Lastly, IMO a 55w kit is too high for these headlights. They are a very small enclosed space & temps will be way too high, I would have stuck with a 35w kit. Definitely make sure your auto headlight feature is off or you'll really be blowing that kit out quickly.

·
Super Moderator
10,038 Posts
hope you ordered 5-6000k kit as that temp is white light and has most lumens output..

·
Registered
'08 stick kombi B207R
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did I tried to get 4300k but 5k was close enough. So since I put them on at night I had no issue but today when the drl tried to turn on during the day I got bulb out messages. When I looked outside only the left one was on. Had to turn the car on with the headlights on to have them on and not throw messages. Going to have to get a laptop and download "techII".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts