SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to replace my stock leather seats in my 1995 900 SE with aftermarkets so I won't slide around as much. I've done the search about topics on aftermarket seats but didn't find what I was looking for. I'm looking to purchase a seat of APC racing seats (picture attached). Has anyone installed APC seats in their SAABs? If not for those who installed other aftermarket seats, what brackets and adapters were needed to get your new seats to fit? I'm going to be moving to Phoenix this summer so that's even more reason for me to get new seats (driving down from Seattle and want cloth seats so I don't burn my butt when I sit down.) Any information you all have is much appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I think APC would be A LOT more help then we could possibly be.
Call them. I guarantee they have ALL the answers for you.
Better yet, report back here with what they tell you. ;)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I would be intersted to hear what you find as well. The thought of aftermarket seats has often crossed my mind as well. Once when I was searching for Vig seats in tan I stumbled across some very similar looking leather aftermarket seats. They were pretty reasonably priced, but I didn't jump on them. Now I wish I had. Or if only I had written down the brand....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had emailed APC and they said the seats are universal fit and they gave me the number to Wedge Engineering in Long Beach (562-633-1663) to ask about brackets. I gave them a call and they make brackets for different Saab models. The brackets for my car are $60 per side and then each bracket needs an adapter for the seats to fit. Each adapter is $10, so with shipping all the hardware for me would be $175.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
So if these seats are universal, then the brackets from this seperate company would allow us to install any universal seat into our car I take it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking at the Corbeau website at their Sports seats and noticed the Corbeau brackets are the same so I'm assuming they're made by the same company. Wedge Engineering was very helpful on the phone so if wanna check about compatibility of seats with brackets give them a buzz. There is a Corbeau dealer around my area so I might go that way instead since I'll be able to actually sit in the seats.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not to rain on ya, but with APC - you get what you pay for. There's a reason that some of us like to refer it is All Plastic Crap. If you're dead set on 'em go ahead. Personally if I really wanted to get out of those leathers and didn't want to pay for Recaro or Corbeau, I'd look into reupholstering with a different material, maybe faux suede.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Timmay said:
Not to rain on ya, but with APC - you get what you pay for. There's a reason that some of us like to refer it is All Plastic Crap. If you're dead set on 'em go ahead. Personally if I really wanted to get out of those leathers and didn't want to pay for Recaro or Corbeau, I'd look into reupholstering with a different material, maybe faux suede.
I would like to recover with something new, maybe leather again, but mine are wearing out and I need something. Turbo Swede wants more support though and I really agree our seats need some more stick! With intrax, koni's and double stack bar, my car can easiy "out handle" my butt as I go through the corners. It will out handle my butt before my tires even start to squeal! If i could just get strapped in a little better!!!

Tboy

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Has anybody tried http://www.katzkin.com ? They do not have the Saab 900 listed, but oddly enough, they do have my 95 Mazda Millenia which should be far rarer! On the site, it emphasises to call if you don't see what you want since they have tons more products available. They offer SuedeSkin which would be a suede type material that should hold you in a bit better.

I have been meaning to call for some time now!

Tboy

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just thought I'd give an update. I had a chance to sit on a few Corbeau seats and honestly I didn't find the ones I was looking at (GTS II and Sport Seat) comfortable at all. I found another shop that sells Recaros so I went to check them out and found that the Recaro SE seat is exactly what I'm looking for. It's their budget conscious seat and just comes in black cloth but it was very comfortable and held me in place very well. Once I get my funds in order I'll be purchasing those and brackets from Wedge engineering (store wanted WAY too much for brackets). I'll keep you all updated and take pics. Also if there's anyone in the Seattle area looking for replacement tan leather heated power seats mine will probably be for sale once I have new ones installed.

·
Registered
543 Posts
TurboSwede53 said:
Just thought I'd give an update. I had a chance to sit on a few Corbeau seats and honestly I didn't find the ones I was looking at (GTS II and Sport Seat) comfortable at all. I found another shop that sells Recaros so I went to check them out and found that the Recaro SE seat is exactly what I'm looking for. It's their budget conscious seat and just comes in black cloth but it was very comfortable and held me in place very well. Once I get my funds in order I'll be purchasing those and brackets from Wedge engineering (store wanted WAY too much for brackets). I'll keep you all updated and take pics. Also if there's anyone in the Seattle area looking for replacement tan leather heated power seats mine will probably be for sale once I have new ones installed.
Please keep us informed as to how you get on....I have considered new seats but not seen the info on this forum before.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
TurboSwede53 said:
Also if there's anyone in the Seattle area looking for replacement tan leather heated power seats mine will probably be for sale once I have new ones installed.

Let me know what you decide, I might be interested!

Tboy

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I did a little more calling and emailing around today in regards to seat brackets and sliders. I called Wedge Engineering back in regards to Recaro brackets and they said they are the same brackets as the Corbeau (Saab 900 Turbo 82+). The person I talked to asked if Saabs from 82 on had the same seat mounts so that has made me a bit weary of the brackets. I emailed Speedware Motorsports in Redmond, where I got to check out the Recaro SE seats first hand. They told me brackets would be $150 per side and then another $100 each for sliders (they laser cut all the brackets from steel in their shop). I emailed and then called Jim from motorsports.com and he said that for $135 for one side you can get brackets and sliders. So if you're looking to install aftermarket seats in your Saab these are a few places you might check out for brackets.
I attached a better picture of the Recaro SE seat.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts