SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

This weekend I put a Kenwood DMX7706S into my 9-3 using an InCarTec FK-311 kit. Everything seems to be in working order except that I'm getting no radio reception at all. The kit includes a Fakra to DIN antenna adapter cable, which I've made use of - I broke a small plastic tab on the outside of the connector, but the connection seems solid. The amp bypass harness has two remote turn on wires, one for antenna, and one for amp - my Kenwood HU just has one remote on output, so I've wired both together and connected them to the HU remote on out, which is what the instructions with the InCarTec kit recommend. My amplifier definitely gets power (bluetooth works fine), but I'm thinking either somehow my antenna is not getting power, or the signal is not getting to my HU. Or maybe there's some setting in the radio I need to adjust to pick up stations? Any thoughts on things to check?

EDIT: Just had a thought. at least I THINK my amp is working fine? Maybe it's not, and I wouldn't know it? Even without the stock bose amp getting power, I would still get sound through the speakers from the amp built into my HU, wouldn't I?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the info, I wasn't sure which of the two connectors was K14. I will try bypassing the InCarTec Kit and wiring the AmpOn signal directly to pin 12, and seeing if that does it. If that does it, I screwed up my wiring somewhere inbetween the two.

·
Super Moderator
1,929 Posts
Thank you both for the info, I wasn't sure which of the two connectors was K14. I will try bypassing the InCarTec Kit and wiring the AmpOn signal directly to pin 12, and seeing if that does it. If that does it, I screwed up my wiring somewhere inbetween the two.
Easy mistake, I did that in my car and then years later we forgot about it on my sons 9-5. No power to "AntEnable" pin 12 and no sound lol. I just added another leg off my aftermarket head deck remote trigger wire.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hmmmm...so I just pulled the harness and busted out my multimeter, and it turns out I DO have the AmpOn pin from the headunit connected out to pin 12 of K14.

I'm upgrading from the factory SatNav unit, and the pinout on my old HU reads a little different than yours - it claim's there's no connection for Pin 12 (though my harness does have a pin there). I found this UKSaabs post which suggests connecting to K14/6 and/or K16/8, Pin 6 of my K14 is tied to that same Pin 12, but I have nothing going out to Pin 8 of K16. I will try wiring my AmpOn signal into K16/8 on the car downstream side, and seeing if that does it. I might be in the scenario I guessed in the edit of my original post.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pins K14/6, K14/12, and K16/8 are all connected to the HU AmpOn signal now, and still no dice! Wondering if maybe it's my antenna adapter at this point...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's okay, it was helpful of you to suggest I pay attention to the factory unit pinout, anyhow. The android auto works fine in my new HU, so I am getting by just fine with Spotify and Radio.com until I feel like taking another stab at it. (or at least, I WOULD be getting by just fine, if my car wasn't stuck at the mechanic with a bum rear caliper, but that's a story for the other forum 😅 )

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried another antenna adapter last night, still no luck. Just to confirm with folks that have a working aftermarket head unit, your antenna adapter looks like this, correct? we don't need one with a crazy relay or anything?

Not much left to try except triple check my wiring and then if I still can't solve it, bite the bullet and take it to a car audio place.

·
Super Moderator
1,929 Posts
Tried another antenna adapter last night, still no luck. Just to confirm with folks that have a working aftermarket head unit, your antenna adapter looks like this, correct? we don't need one with a crazy relay or anything?

Not much left to try except triple check my wiring and then if I still can't solve it, bite the bullet and take it to a car audio place.

I have the first one you linked, never saw that other style before.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I saw the other style in this video while I was researching my problem. I know Saabs aren't German, of course, but thought it wasn't out of the question the wiring might be the same.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
That "crazy one" has an inline amplifier for the FM signal.They work just fine but you need to connect the fly wire to a 12v source.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts