SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I currently have a SAAB 2001 9-3 SE. I am currently trying to use an aftermarket head unit with the stock amplifier that came with the car.

Below is the procedure I have followed:

1. Aftermarket unit is connected via Wire harness from genuinesaab.com
2. Amplifier cable coming from amp is connected to a female 8 pin din.

I used the diagram from Richard's Audio Guide for the DIN cable
http://www.saabnet.com/sites/audioguide/

The Front Left Pin is connected to an RCA plug
The Front Right Pin is connected to another RCA plug
(wire from Pin goes to center of RCA plug, and plug is correctly shielded via wire from group)

The amp on is connected to 12V constant on the wire harness
The Signal ground is connected to the ground on the wire harness

3. The RCA plugs connect into the pre-out of the aftermarket headunit.

When I turn my system on, I am not getting sound from the front door speakers. It seems like I am getting power and ground from the amp, but nothing is coming out of the Front Left and Front Right speakers. I have also tried switching the location of the wires going to the Front Left and Front Right to the Rear Left and Rear Right just in cause the cable was reversed.

Does anyone see any flaws in my approach to get this working, or am I unclear as to how RCA pre-outs work between an amp and headunit?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Enrico

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
you should have 2 wires for each speaker, you say you have connected to the centre of the rca plugs but what have you connected to the outer turninal of the rca plug, from what you have said you have not completed the circuit, i think you need to split the signal ground and connect it to each outer turminal on the rca plugs, this should give you your completed circuit

nealy forgot, welcome to saab central

·
Registered
885 Posts
having just done this the other way around, slightly (just hooked up a second stock amp to drive subs in the trunk), the stock amp also needs to know when to turn on... with the stock head, there's a low voltage turn-on pin as well...

I think that's what you may be missing out on.

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
Enrico said:
The amp on is connected to 12V constant on the wire harness
You don't want to leave it hooked up like that, or else your battery will be drained eventually. Connect the "amp on" wire to the antenna/amp wire on your new head unit and it will work fine. You'll also want to have your antenna connected to that same wire, if you don't already. I have my factory amp hooked up to an aftermarket head unit like that and it works great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts