SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

Time ago I've read a thread where someone suggested another kind of manual adjustable clutch cable for my ng900, but I can't find it anymore.

Does anyone remember it or has it in the favorites?

I only remember it was a cable for another car (or truck??) that needs to be modified a little to fit my car and it's much stronger than the OEM one.

Thanks.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Here's the info that I have saved from an old post on SAABNET. I looked up the part online a while ago and found there are a couple options for those years so I didn't persue it and I doubt it is still $12. If you have any success, let us know.

Re: Clutch cable failed
Posted by Joe A. on Sun, 29 Sep 2002
Once owning a 94 900S NG, the clutch cable is a very common problem. The SAAB OEM part is relatively expensive for the junk qualitly and inherent designed flaw. To permenatly rectify this problem, my mechanic uses a $12 Nissan Sentra (`90-94) self adjusting clutch cable that is only slighlty modified by replacing the Nissan with the SAAB end connector. The length and size match the SAAB OEM, the Nissan is self adjusting, will not stretch and should last forever. I replaced my `94 SAAB with a `91 900T and the person who has my old `94 with 170K miles, the clutch is still woking fine and has not been replaced since 40K

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GaryG said:
Here's the info that I have saved from an old post on SAABNET. I looked up the part online a while ago and found there are a couple options for those years so I didn't persue it and I doubt it is still $12. If you have any success, let us know.
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Have u tried this mod? Do u know if it's easy to change the terminal part??

·
Registered
867 Posts
Nope, haven't tried it yet but I might pick one up that I found at RockAuto. They have a Beck Arnley for $12.47 on clearence so it's not a big loss if it doesn't work. They list the length at 31.5 inches and the pedal end looks like it would connect ok. The clutch end would have to be cut off so a SAAB end could be put on and crimped. Too bad I didn't save the end when I did my last replacement.

·
Registered
719 Posts
You can also pick up a manually adjustable ready to go in the car for ~$49 at Parts America/Checker/Advance Auto. Just make sure you grease the cable well before install.

·
Registered
43 Posts
KSpark said:
NAPA sells one for like $38. I had it installed along with my clutch last month and so far so good.
I was looking at their offerings too. Is that one a manual adjustment, or a self-adjusting cable?

·
Registered
867 Posts
There is a pair of nuts and a lock nut at the midway point of the cable. Loosen the lock nut and then you can make the cable sheath longer or shorter as needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts