SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought most of what I need to install a full aftermarket sounds system for my 01' 9-1. I can install all of this easily enough but I have a few questions.

1. You need a power cord for an aftermarket amp but I don't know how the stock one is wired. Can I use the stock ones power supply?

2. Can I use the wires from the old speakers for the new ones? I don't see why not, I just want to make sure.

3. Can I fit an aftermarket amp in where the stock one is? Is there very much extra room in there?

That's it!

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Google "platonoff saab" and look for the pictures on the site for the audio upgrade. I saw it mentioned in another audio upgrade thread and found it helpful in understanding where the stock stuff is. Good luck!

·
Registered
10,610 Posts
To hook up an amp, you need to run a power wire directly from the battery. The one for the stock door speaker is far too small to power anything but the door speaker amp that's already there.

No, you don't want to reuse the existing speaker wires. They're small and it's nice to keep the stock stuff in case you ever want to put the stock stereo back in there. Reusing the door speaker wires is fine, though, because of the complicated way they go through the doors.

The stock amp is very small and the only amp I've heard of anyone fitting in there was an older MTX amp, the smallest one they made, which was rated at the same 35 watts per channel as the stock one. Personally, I'd keep the stock amp for the door speakers and hook that up to your new headunit. You can always install another amp for the rear and dashboard speakers if you want, and a subwoofer amp, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts