SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's up SaabCentral,
After spending a couple days last week replacing a weeping water pump, I got it back together and put the belt back on. The belt is maybe 7 months old, so I opted out of replacing it. But before replacing the water pump, my serpentine belt slipped off. I'm assuming a pulley is out of alignment, but I'm not sure how to narrow it down. On the Idler pulley, the belt is very slightly off the edge, and on the new water pump pulley, the belt seems to be a bit too far inward. I am hearing a noise that sounds something like an air vaccuum, or whirring.
I took the belt back off and the tensioner and idler pulley seem to have a bit of play in it. How easily are those replaced? It doesn't look like an expensive part.
I am not sure how to correctly post the video so here is the link
https://youtu.be/FJ1IZiHUFrU

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
It's hard to see, but it looks like the belt is hanging over the inside edge of the crankshaft pulley. You will shred the belt if it's not lined up.

The tensioner and the idler pulley are easy to replace. When my AC compressor died, I replaced all that stuff (including the water pump). I took it to a shop a few miles away to have the AC charged and on the way back, I shredded my belt. I can only guess that I screwed up getting the ribbed section on one of the pulleys. I very carefully put on a new belt and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Idler is easy to replace... and they are known to only last about 50K. If you don't know the age and/or suspect it at all, replace it. If it goes, you stop.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK guys,
I put on a re-man tensioner and a new idler pulley. New belt as well. Everything seems to be in order now. No strange squealing or noises. Although the belt is just a hair over the outside edge of the tensioner pulley. I guess that is normal, but I have nothing to compare it too. The belt is definitely set right. Does it look right??

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts