SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the engine in a week ago, fired it up and oil went everywhere on the firewall and driveway.:evil: So I pulled the engine, took off the crank pulley, the belts, and the oil pump housing. I triple checked the o-ring for the oil pump, it's new and was fine from the install last week, I triple checked the crankseal, it too is new and looked good. So I reassembled everything, triple checked it, reinstalled the engine, hooked it all up and fired it...to the dismay of the oil leak now even worse! :evil: :x :cry:...

Has anyone seen this before? I completely inspected the oil pump gears, I did not replace those in the rebuild, and inspected the oil pump housing case itself and did not find any cracks. Is there a special way to put the crank pulley in the oil pump housing with the new crank seal?

It looks as though the oil is coming from either around the oil pump housing or behind the crank pulley, but I am wondering if there is anything I can do with the engine in the car rather than pull the engine again.

If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oil Leak

Check that you have not left a bolt out where the gearbox and engine join, off memory there is one bolt hole tucked away and if it is missed it will pour out oil when the engine is started.

Just and idea
:)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took another look at the block and I don't see where I missed one...I wish it would have been that easy. Thank you for a place to start! :D

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Maybe the seal split when you pushed on the balancer? Shure it not coming from the valve cover. :confused: I'd put it up on ramps and get under it. I hope it something simple. Pat

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I'd check the crank pulley's shank, where it goes into the seal in the oil-pump cover. If the shank is scored/grooved, even a new seal will not keep oil from coming out.If yours is bad, a new pulley is about $80, I believe; look for it at www.eeuroparts.com

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
also be sure that you are not leaking from a silly place like the oil cooler lines, or the oil filter housing.

I once saw an oil pump hosuing that had a bad casting and because of this- a crack in the cover plate. that must have been a mess....

the car was in the junk yard :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts