SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like I've seen something on this before, but did a search and didn't really find the answer.
I just put my after-market rims on my 08 2.0T, and I get a tire pressure failure message every time I get in the car now. I had the same rims on my 05 linear, but didn't have the monitor system.
Is this just one of the costs of putting aftermarket wheels on? Are they just not compatible at all with the system?
To the people who've done this, do you guys just live with it, and hit clear every time you drive off?
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
You need to establish where the sensor is, probably in the valve stems of the OEM wheels.

So if you want TPMS back you will need to get new valves with TMPS sensors fitted to your aftermarket rims.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Follow-up question

I am also shopping for a set of winter wheels for my 2008 9-3. I know that the TPMS needs the sensors in the wheels to work but could you please explain what happens if I skip the $300 expense for the sensors and just forego tire pressure monitoring for the 3-month of the year when I need the snow tires? Can I simply clear the sensor fault when starting up the car or does it cause any other system errors or keep coming back with repeated wornings while driving? Since you have experienced this, I would appreciate a description of what I can expect if I don't install sensors.

Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,
I decided to just leave the valves on my rims as is, and it's been a good month now. All that happens is that I get a tire pressure warning when I start the car. Hit clear and your all set!! No more warnings after initial one at start up. Only thing is the tire pressure light stays on in the dash, but it's really not a distraction, definitely no more than the passenger airbag status!

·
Registered
183 Posts
cdgLA said:
To the people who've done this, do you guys just live with it, and hit clear every time you drive off?
Thanks a lot.
Shouldn't have to. I got this from a saabnet thread, and it worked for my 04 Arc:
"I went through the same pain with my '04 Aero when I bought it last December.
Take it back to the dealer and have them re-add the TPMM (tire pressure monitoring module) to the bus communication system, when selecting market they need to select "European", this will prevent you from having to clear the warning message at every startup with snow tires."

and a followup:

"We now have new software for the Tech II that just requires to readd the TPMM only. No need to change the settings."

and finally:

"also when you reinstall the summer tires you won't have to do anything. It will detect the sensors and all should be OK. Tire pressure on these needs to be around 38-40 psi or you'll get the message too.FYI"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts