SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket turbo for the 92X Linear? Is it even possible? If not, what performance upgrades have the best output?

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
It would be cheaper to sell the Linear and buy an Aero.

Turbo kits are available, but have marginal performance and reliability. Better to buy a used Turbo motor if you a married to your specific car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree, I check Cobb tuning... it's cheaper and less complicated to trade in the Linear for Aero, plus the discount and everything... And that's what I did...

There a so much more options for tuning for the Aero , and surprisingly affordable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Especially since the '06 WRX uses the Ej25 instead of the long-running EJ20, so therefore the 9-2X does as well, it definitely negates the desire to do a turbo swap in a Linear.
Formerly, owning a Linear or 2.5RS meant that you longed for turbo or you didn't..... but prior to the advent of the '04 STi and Forester XT, followed by the '05 Legacy GT/GT Ltd. and now the '06 WRX (the only USDM model carrying over the JDM/EDM EJ20), you had to swap to get a reliable turbo.

Now? I don't think it's worth it at all, unless you've got money and creativity to burn. A factory-supplied and warrantied EJ25 turbo engine, which can get STi power with a new ECU, turbo and intercooler, essentially, is hard to pass up. Add a 2.5 or 3.0" exhaust and something like a Prodrive upgrade kit, and I just don't see the need to go aftermarket very far.

=S2=

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your input, it only confirmed my fears. HOWEVER, I was able to find ONE aero in UTand snapped it up today...so MOD land, here I come. :cheesy:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! probably will start by chipping it and getting some 17s" and tread! And I'm quite sure i'll like it :lol: ! got a good site for perf parts to recommend???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess while I'm at it, I'll ask the 92X newbie question...Does the Aero have the same Engine and Mechanics as the WRX- Period. Or are there some differences I should be aware of???

·
Registered
86 Posts
stefaab said:
I guess while I'm at it, I'll ask the 92X newbie question...Does the Aero have the same Engine and Mechanics as the WRX- Period. Or are there some differences I should be aware of???
Do a search. There's plenty of information already available on this forum without having to type it out again :)

The short answer is "yes".

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 9-2x Aero is a WRX with the following changes...

Front End Cosmetics
Extra Sound deadening
STI Steering Rack (Bonus in 05, Standard on all 06's)
STI Style Air Deflector in the Hood Scoop(How they got the Performance of the WRX scoop while keeping the Saabs a bit lower profile)
Springs are kinda in between the WRX's and STI's from what I understand.... (Would love some confirmation on this before I go out and get new spings for mine...)

Those are the things I've personally noticed so far.... I'd love to hear any additional

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds right to me. :)

Turbo-ing the n/a EJ25 is never a pretty proposition. The open-deck EJ25 does not take to boost very well, and becomes unreliable unless at VERY low boost levels. (Say, half the psi that the WRX uses.) The WRX's former EJ20 (pre-2006) was open deck as well, but many people think that the added heft of the cylinder block (from not being bored out another 0.5 liters) is part of what makes it reliable.

Step over to the EJ20 and EJ25 STi blocks, and they're semi-closed decks. Those are very receptive to turbo. But....

...The EJ22 block, present in the USA *only* on the '90s Legacy Turbo, as well as exclusively on the JDM 1998 Impreza 22B (with several internal upgrades vs. the Legacy turbo and other EJ20 STi engines), is FULLY closed. That sucker you can drop huge boost into. They sell the Legacy Turbo block at www.subaruwrxparts.com .
If you want huge boost, you'll sacrifice 0.3 liters of low-end, but that's the block to buy.
Though, honestly, the 2.2 has enough low-end to get you out of your own way in town, contrary to the EJ20. The 2.0 is missing just that little bit, which makes it feel like a low-torque Honda engine when you're not at screaming rpm.

The wiring is another story. Have fun with that. ;) If you swap the whole engine, go for the dashboard from the donor car, too. That eliminates the wiring headache. But I still say that with a car either brand new or only a year old, it's foolish not to buy the turbo, if power is what you want.

=S2=

·
Registered
5 Posts
2.5 Boxer Turbo

The 2006 9-2X Aero is supposed to have a 2.5 boxer turbocharged engine. Is this new one for 2006 a totally different engine, or is it the same as the Linear with a turbo?

·
Registered
86 Posts
ping7i said:
The 2006 9-2X Aero is supposed to have a 2.5 boxer turbocharged engine. Is this new one for 2006 a totally different engine, or is it the same as the Linear with a turbo?
It's an EJ25T. Basically, the WRX STi motor, with a smaller turbo, intercooler, injectors, cast internals (instead of forged) and different engine management.

It's the same motor that's in all of the 2.5 Turbo subarus (FXT, LGT, Baja Turbo, 2006 WRX)

·
Registered
5 Posts
stefaab

stefaab said:
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket turbo for the 92X Linear? Is it even possible? If not, what performance upgrades have the best output?

Thanks!
Hey, I am looking for the same....let me know if you come up with any answers....I have an 06 92x and would like to add turbo to it, or anything for that matter......but anyway, let me know. good luck. enzovinzo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts