SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need to purchase new brake pads and rotors for my 2003 9-3 Vector. Is it a bad idea to purchase rotors online? And should I upgrade to drilled and slotted brakes? I'd like the better stopping performance, and also like the look. Thanks :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Hey guys, I need to purchase new brake pads and rotors for my 2003 9-3 Vector. Is it a bad idea to purchase rotors online?
No, it's not bad to order online. Just make sure you get a quality part and make sure you get the right size. Double check the actual measurements in millimeters. Don't trust the automatic size pickers that you just input your year and model into...both times that I have ordered they have been wrong. They keep trying to give me a 285mm rotor for the front when it really takes a 302mm.

And should I upgrade to drilled and slotted brakes? I'd like the better stopping performance, and also like the look. Thanks :cheesy:
I think it's been proven many times that drilled and slotted rotors don't help performance. If anything, slotted only may help a little. But, for what it's worth, I went with the drilled and slotted purely for looks. Stopping power is fine.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
u could go with R1concepts.com rotors, they have good reviews on other forums

and go with slotted only, do not bother with drilled, drilled and slotted is pointless...

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
The oem setup is quite good.

Drilled and slotted rotors will just gunk up with road debris, salt, crap, etc. I would only get them if I lived in a moderate climate (which PA is not).

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
drilled or slotted have absolutely no performance gains just looks, as for the r1 concepts i have heard that they can warp fairly easily depending on your driving. Honestly if you go to autozone new rotors for our cars are like 40 bucks. why exactly do you think you need new rotors?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
drilled or slotted have absolutely no performance gains just looks, as for the r1 concepts i have heard that they can warp fairly easily depending on your driving. Honestly if you go to autozone new rotors for our cars are like 40 bucks. why exactly do you think you need new rotors?
My Saab has 62k miles and to pass inspection I need new rotors and pads (The dealership would charge me $1k for new rotors and pads). The original rotors do look close to the end of their lives. I thought I'd upgrade to slotted (I like the looks) and put them on myself. Do you know any more on the warping? What brakes don't warp, and what would cause them to warp? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
My Saab has 62k miles and to pass inspection I need new rotors and pads (The dealership would charge me $1k for new rotors and pads). The original rotors do look close to the end of their lives. I thought I'd upgrade to slotted (I like the looks) and put them on myself. Do you know any more on the warping? What brakes don't warp, and what would cause them to warp? Thanks.
i find it hard to belive that you have gone though you rotor material i have 75k on my car and i have never replaced my rotors, although i bought the car with 33k but i doubt they replaced them within that time. post pictures, the dealer probably used the need to change rotors as a gimmick to entice you to spend more on a brake change hence the 1k price.... you probably only need pads. i think one or 2 members on here have had the r1s and had warping and i have talked to people in person who have had warping although i know they actually drive there cars and they are not all about show. What causes warping is heat cycling though the rotor and then holding on the brakes kind of like stop and go traffic you heat up the rotor and then you hold onto a part of the rotor causes malformation of the metal, uneven pad ware can cause warping, lots of things can cause warping just look up on google theres plenty of info. as for rotors there is a difference in quality getting cheaper rotors are more likely to warp easier because they can be remanufactured cheap iron mixed in with other metals and not refined, also alot of these drilled and slotted stuff are just some guy taking a drill press and drilling holes in a rotor the rotors are not cast with the holes or slots in them which causes weaking of the surface which causes cracks and such.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
The e-lines is their entry level rotor...the premium series r the good ones...another option u could try is the ebc usr series....

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I'm going with ATE PremiumOne rotors. I was going to the brakes this month but the rear pads still have over 1/8" left, so they're good for at least another 3,000 miles. When the rears need replacing I am doing brakes all the way around. Over 30K on a set of rear pads on a Saab isn't too shabby!

For pads, I will probably be going with EBC Ultimax.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/ultimax_disc_brake_pads/index.shtml

But am also looking for other options to reduce the brake dust curse which plagues the 9-3. My wheels have baked-on dust from the previous owner. :-(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going with ATE PremiumOne rotors. I was going to the brakes this month but the rear pads still have over 1/8" left, so they're good for at least another 3,000 miles. When the rears need replacing I am doing brakes all the way around. Over 30K on a set of rear pads on a Saab isn't too shabby!

Amazon.com: ATE CW12157 PremiumOne Disc Brake Rotor: Automotive

Amazon.com: ATE CW25141 PremiumOne Disc Brake Rotor: Automotive

For pads, I will probably be going with EBC Ultimax.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/ultimax_disc_brake_pads/index.shtml

But am also looking for other options to reduce the brake dust curse which plagues the 9-3. My wheels have baked-on dust from the previous owner. :-(

Why have you chosen the ATE's? And what to you know about the EBC Ultimax?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Why have you chosen the ATE's? And what to you know about the EBC Ultimax?
I chose the ATE's based on reviews, that they're slotted, it's a great wear indicator, and the coating.

For the EBC Ultimax, I don't know anything other than what buybrakes.com told me. I haven't checked reviews but yellowstuff seems to be overkill. My goal is decreased dust and good fade resistance, and decreased brake noise if at all possible. My car has ATE pads on it now on stock rotors and they are noisy when cold, and produce a metric F*ton of dust.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I purchased some Brembo rotors from CarQuest and they got it for me that same day! And they weren't at all expensive. Pretty cheap actually. They weren't drilled or slotted but they are nice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts