SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting occassional missing at idle when the car is warm and has been shut off then restarted. It's only noticable when in park (or neutral). Last week upon a warm start-up it missed, stumbled, then died:(

At my next service, which will be soon, I'll mention it to the dealer and see what they say.

About a year and half ago I was at a dealer (not my usual one as I was out of town) for a CEL which turned out to be the gas cap on my 03'. The tech was telling me about the Aero in the next bay that was having an idle issue that they couldn't resolve but I don't recall the details. He was waiting for direction from Saab tech support. At that time the V6 had only been out 6-8 months or so. Maybe there is something going on a TSB has been issued.

I'm also wondering if it could be marginal gas I'm getting??

So, any words of wisdom from the peanut gallery:p

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Unfortunately it could be lots of things. Let the techs at the dealer figure it out. Could be spark plugs, wires, electrical fault, clogged vac line, idle air control malfunction, sensor failure, etc.
Did you get a CEL when the car stalled?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aspen said:
Unfortunately it could be lots of things. Let the techs at the dealer figure it out. Could be spark plugs, wires, electrical fault, clogged vac line, idle air control malfunction, sensor failure, etc.
Did you get a CEL when the car stalled?
I did not get a CEL and that's the problem. If it's not missing when I bring it in then it is the dreaded "intermittment problem, unable to duplicate" crap.
I do know the Tech II on the T8 when plugged in can actually monitor the misfires which is pretty amazing. I'm hoping the ME9 can do the same.
I was also wondering about the BSR tuning but I'm sure the fuel mapping is not changed for idle.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A follow up to this that I thought I had already posted but I guess not.

Saab Technical Services sent a "hotter" set of plugs to try out this past winter. Surprisingly they cured the problem. Better idle and no warm restart issues. We didn't have the new plug # but just had the dealer pull on this week.
It is #DILFR7B 10G/K79J. I'm pretty sure NGK. Any of you spark plug gurus chime in:p

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wow... I was made to feel like I was the only one having that problem! I hate my dealership - they suck. :x

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rdub06 said:
Wow... I was made to feel like I was the only one having that problem! I hate my dealership - they suck. :x
Tell your service advisor to contact Saab Tech Services and hopefully they'll send those plugs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Our new Aero vert did the same thing to my wife at under the same conditions, but not to me. I put 93 octane instead of 87 and it has not done it since. I assume mine was bad gas.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Bad gas can certainly cause a miss.

Sometimes too, the cold plugs as well. Theres a bajillion things it could be quite honestly, but if the plugs fixed your problem, good.

Dont skimp on the gas, especially now that the price for a barrel of oil has dropped so much.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've never put cheap gas into my car - it's not worth it in the long run... Save a few cents now, pay a few $$$'s later for extra maintenance.

My car actually stalled out (at idle - warm engine). I was out running errands, parked the car in/out of the store (time ~ 10 min's), started the engine and it felt like the engine was out of balance. I let it sit for a few seconds and it died. I restarted - same issue, however when I drove off everything was fine but every time I came to a stoplight I had the same rough idle.

Drove the car the next day and it was like nothing ever happened. I took it into the dealership (second visit for this) and of course couldn't reproduce it and stated there were no "codes" showing a stall. BS! They told me they advanced the timing (which they said they could do since mine was a manual tranny). It works for the most part but every now and then I have the same problem - just not as bad. Happens mostly in the summer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What is the "official" recommendend octane level for a 2.8L Aero? I could not find it anywhere in the owners manual, so I assumed 87. I was using 87 when the car started missing and acting sluggish with my wife.

·
Registered
621 Posts
90 or better, says right on the inside of the fuel door.

rdub06 said:
I took it into the dealership (second visit for this) and of course couldn't reproduce it and stated there were no "codes" showing a stall. BS! They told me they advanced the timing (which they said they could do since mine was a manual tranny). It works for the most part but every now and then I have the same problem - just not as bad. Happens mostly in the summer.
Sounds like you have had some misfire issues, the car will shake hard, etc. This could be several things, fouled plugs, bad fuel, bad fuel supply (clogged fuel filter?), bad coils. etc. There are tons of things that can cause a misfire.

Stall out will not always throw a code...
Misfire not always either strangely enough.

As for advancing your timing? LOL
That's one I haven't heard before.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rdub06 said:
I've never put cheap gas into my car - it's not worth it in the long run... Save a few cents now, pay a few $$$'s later for extra maintenance.

My car actually stalled out (at idle - warm engine). I was out running errands, parked the car in/out of the store (time ~ 10 min's), started the engine and it felt like the engine was out of balance. I let it sit for a few seconds and it died. I restarted - same issue, however when I drove off everything was fine but every time I came to a stoplight I had the same rough idle.

Drove the car the next day and it was like nothing ever happened. I took it into the dealership (second visit for this) and of course couldn't reproduce it and stated there were no "codes" showing a stall. BS! They told me they advanced the timing (which they said they could do since mine was a manual tranny). It works for the most part but every now and then I have the same problem - just not as bad. Happens mostly in the summer.
Rdub,

That is exactly the problems I was having. Write down the plug #'s above and explain to the dealer Saab Tech Services has provided these for the same symptoms. Hopefully the dealer will help you.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Our fuel system is very finicky with fuel, tho the car can adjust for knock and such its best to go with the best grade of fuel you can find specially when running around with the aero engine. I use 89 in my '03 Linear and I have never had any probs and my idle is smooth and shake free. I vaguely member reading about the lower class of cars the 1.8t and the 2.0t having a higher tolerance but I never really learned whether it was a truth or an assumption.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Cosmicflash said:
Rdub,

That is exactly the problems I was having. Write down the plug #'s above and explain to the dealer Saab Tech Services has provided these for the same symptoms. Hopefully the dealer will help you.
Thanks, I'm writing it down now! I really appreciate the support this forum offers - you never can really know if the dealer is yanking your chain or what.

Again, as far as fuel is concerned... I not only use a high grade of fuel but I also rotate between two manufacturer's to aid in keeping the engine free from as much varnish/buildup, etc. as possible.

·
Registered
197 Posts
lmpreza said:
90 or better, says right on the inside of the fuel door.
This is a misnomer however, because in certain states (like Colorado) octane levels are 85, 87 and 91. I prefer to use 91 but the dealership said 87 is fine.

It's safe to bet that "midgrade" fuel will suffice, albeit the higher octane the better performance. I used 85 once and regretted it. Ever since I've spent the extra 20 cents for premium fuel.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The car will drop into a low-octane fuel map, spend more fuel, and perform worse. Just spend the money and use high-grade.

89 here is $2.89 a gallon and 93 is $2.99.

You could get away with the lower grade fuels but its not worth the savings IMO, $1.50 or so for a full fill up, whatever.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lmpreza said:
The car will drop into a low-octane fuel map, spend more fuel, and perform worse. Just spend the money and use high-grade.

89 here is $2.89 a gallon and 93 is $2.99.

You could get away with the lower grade fuels but its not worth the savings IMO, $1.50 or so for a full fill up, whatever.
You're correct about using more fuel. When I had my new plugs installed Saab said to run 87 octane for 2 weeks for whatever reason I never figured out. Anyway, I only got 22 mpg on the highway where I would normally get 26-28 mpg.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I did a google search for that plug number and 2 links came up. One is this thread and one on another saab forum.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Add me to the list.

37k miles, out running errands on a 65 degree day. Hot engine. After the car sits for 15-20 minutes, on restart it's barely running. Hasn't stalled but it feels like it really wants too. No CEL and i am surprised. It seems that hard acceleration clears it and then it idles normally. It has been acting like this for about a month now. At first I thought it was a bad tank of gas. But I've refilled several times and it's still doing it.

For those that had this problem, do the plugs solve the problem? I'm still under warranty so I will be calling the dealer on Monday. But it would be nice to point them in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts