SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9-3 aero 2007 V6 6Speeds and I dont reall like it, but maybe someone can help me here since the dealership dont want...

I'll become crazy about the really loud sound between 1700 and 2600rpm, on the highway at 120km/hrs, I'm running in 6 gears and the loud engine sound in the car make me crasy;oops: , so now I'm not using to 6 gears to dont have this sound, I stay in 5 gears the engine rev at 3000rpm but the sound is not there.
In the city, this sound make me crasy too because I'm often between 1700 and 2600 rpm.

I explain my problems to the dealer (the loud sound and the transmission problem, the transmission is hard to shift when cold) and they just told me that they can't do nothing for the 2007 model but for the 2008 model this sound is not present and the transmission is not the same, so they solve both problem for the 2008 model.

If someone could help me to eliminate the sound I'll maybe start to like my new car. I already try to remove the air box to see if this is not a airbox problem but the sound was still there.

For the transmission I found in this forum that this is a commun problem and there is no solution yet.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
GWC said:
This sounds like the exhaust resonating to me ... search for "droning"
This would be a good guess.

Has it done this since new? Go drive another 07' and see if it sounds the same.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for reply, I was not able to test another 07 with manual transmision but I tried a automatic one without any deep sound.

·
Registered
86 Posts
hmm i have an 07 aero manual and I don't hear a loud engine sound between 1700 and 2600 (or maybe its not loud to me :confused: )

but here is my best guess:

you said it was deep...in that range of 1700-2600, when i am in 5th or 6th and i accelerate (moderately hard) say from 50 to 70 or so, i get a really deep sound that i have come to believe is the turbo (it picks up as the turbo gauge goes up and drops off when the turbo gauge drops)

do you keep your pedal down all the way...or rather, is your turbo running at almost the redline constantly in that rpm range?

i don't get the noise when i maintain a constant speed - the turbo usually isn't really working at constant speed...only when i accelerate. it's the loudest/deepest in 5th and 6th

hope that helps...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I'm driving at 120 at 2300 rpm the turbo is not really in fonction, and the droning or deep sound is always there except when the temperature drop below 3Celcius or 37F. There is more air at this temperature and the sound is not present. My guess is the exhaust resonator don't do is job, maybe I'll try to change the resonator... Like I said the dealer say that saab changed the exhaust 48 times on the aero 2007 model to get the perfect sound, but this perfect sound is not the perfect sound for me and my passengers.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
pasprobe said:
... Like I said the dealer say that saab changed the exhaust 48 times on the aero 2007 model to get the perfect sound, but this perfect sound is not the perfect sound for me and my passengers.
Huh:suprised;

Every car maker "tunes" their exhaust..Ask them to show that to you in writing the relevance of that statement.

·
Registered
170 Posts
just a theory

First of all, what type of sound is it? A high pitched turbo sound? or maybe a sound like the tranny is bogged down from being in too low a gear? either way, here is a theory based on how you seem to think the air temp is a factor.

maybe your problem is related to the mass air flow (not sure if the v6 has one, but I bet it does). you said this problem is related to the air temp. air temp and air density are related I believe. the cold air could affect the mass air flow readings and perhaps if the sensor is bad, send bad info to the fuel system, this could make the engine run rich or lean. that could be related to the sound.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The sound is a low deep sound like a big V8 at 2000rpm, this is not a turbo or tranny sound, and I think that this is not a engine sound too because when I go over 2600 rpm the low tone sound desapere and I don't heard the engine even at 6000rpm with high boost. So I really thinks it's a exhaust sound, or something related to air (in or out). Maybe that can be the MAF but the car is doing that since day 1 at 0km and now I'm reaching 13000km on the odometer, and if it was the MAF does the engine light come on?....

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I think your issue is totally within the exhaust. You are hearing a resonance at certain RPMs with no boost present. Unfortunately your option is to swap mufflers or add a resonator to try to eliminate it. You could also add more sound deadening like Raamat - consult with a stereo shop.

Do you have a Sportcombi? Wagons tend to have more drone than sedans. Also I believe that added more sound control in the 2008 models. Try adding a cargo mat in the rear.

Also, turn your music louder;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to let you know... I installed another resonator to the car (vibrant ultra-quiet). Now I have 2 resonator on the car and let me tell you that now I have a totally different car, the deep sound almost dissapear. So now I can enjoy my 6th gears on the highway. It cost me 100$ for the resonator and 1 hrs at the shop for a total of 175$.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Usually people remove the resonators to generate a throatier (if that is a word) sound from exhaust/catback systems. I have a V6 AERO, completely new and don't seem to have the problem to which you are referring too. From my perspective, the larger the engine, the louder the noises, but that is all based on perspective and the sound dampeners installed throughout the car.

I will try to pay more attention to the sound notes when I get into my car a little later today. :)

paul

·
Registered
448 Posts
brunp said:
Usually people remove the resonators to generate a throatier (if that is a word) sound from exhaust/catback systems. I have a V6 AERO, completely new and don't seem to have the problem to which you are referring too. From my perspective, the larger the engine, the louder the noises, but that is all based on perspective and the sound dampeners installed throughout the car.

I will try to pay more attention to the sound notes when I get into my car a little later today. :)

paul

lol little he says...

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
SidewaysD said:
lol little he says...
Say what? :cheesy:

Drove the car today....btw, had a blast....and can neither confirm or deny your claim. Could be personal preference too!!

Paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts