SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm hoping to rebuild the stock suspension on my 220k '93 Aero in the next month. Figure it could probably use a little refreshing.:D Suprisingly though, it doesn't ride half bad, and the only obviously torn boots are the outer tie rods.

Regardless, I'm looking for better handling, but not at the sacrifice of comfort. This car is my daily driver, I don't want a track set up. On the other hand, I also want to join my BMW club friends when they take a twisty morning drive on the backroads. Yes, we do have twisty roads in KS. Anything that will reduce understeer and torque-steer would be great.

I'm looking for advice as far as what to replace, and what to replace it with. I really don't care about lowering the car, and I don't want aftermarket bushings that wear out quickly or squeak. Of course, the cheaper I can do this, the better. After all, it's a $2000 car. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
To add to the above list, don't forget about all the bushes, everything you can change to poly. More durable and tighter then stock rubber ones.

The thing which can cure torque steer is the geometry of the box and CV joints(theoretically the more horizontal the CV joints are the less troque steer you will get) So lowering springs will fix it SOMEWHAT but what really did for me is the poly tranny mount. Very considerable reduction in torque steer.
Of course LSD will totally fix it, but that's expensive and is not a suspension mod.

Just go to partsforsaabs.com. Go to performance section and see bushes. I would just order all new poly bushes, new tierods, and new ball joints. After that go for a spring/shocks kit(lot of info on this forums which combination will give most performace/comfort, do a search). Then I would go for SAS antiroll bar kits. Then stick some bigger wheels and sticky tires and you should be set.

Klim

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just freshened up the suspension on my 9000 at 140,000 miles with great results. It's a 96 CSE with Aero springs and struts on it. Last week I replaced most of my bushings and can't recommend it enough. It was a 100% positive change. Not only is the handling better and more balanced, but the ride is smoother as well.

I changed out the rear sway bar bushings, control arm bushings and front drop link bushing with new polyurethane bushings. The front sway bars got new OE rubber. Changing out the bushings has improved the ride more than changing from the CSE to Aero springs. My motor and trans mounts (upper front motor mount poly, the rest OE) are being replaced tomorrow and I'll be installing my strut brace as well which should help tighten things up some more.

From all the research I did, it seems that the combination of poly and OE rubber that I used is the best compromise between handling and comfort. I've never been in a more modified 9000, so I can't say for certain, but it sure does ride great. Excellent bang for the buck with the poly bushings.

Andrew

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mulik, I don't think all poly, H&R springs, and Bilstein HDs would be much for comfort.

Andrew, thanks for the reply. Combining poly and rubber is what I was considering. So you used poly for the rear sway, front control arm, and front drop link?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
with respect to ride comfort I,ve experienced one of the worst and one of the best set ups using the bilstiens

Lowered springs = real pot hole bashing harshness
fit your std Aero springs to the bilstiens & it is really nice, with a fair improvment in handling to boot, but check your front strut upper mounts and lower ball joints are tight
note: comments with respect to replacing the bushings and limit poly to the front wishbone rear bush / gearbox and front upper engine mount is spot on
adding the SAS bars is jolly nice iceing on top of the cake

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Andrew and Norman, did you use the OEM replacement Aero Bilsteins, or Bilstein HDs? Regardless of which I choose, I'll be keeping the Aero springs. I have no real desire to go lower.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also used a poly bushing for the upper front motor mount. I've heard conflicting reports regarding vibration when using a poly trans mount and decided against using one. It might be OK though, couldn't tell you. I'm using OEM struts and shocks with the Aero springs. I got a good deal on the package so I didn't bother looking at other options.

Andrew

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a poly tranny mount on the way from a TSL member. From what I've read, replacing the tranny mount on a '93 or older 9000 is a real nightmare if you go back with the OE rubber one. If I recall correctly, it involves just about dropping the transmission. The poly one slides right in. When I do the motor mounts I'll probably go rubber, except for one of the uppers. That seems to be a popular configuration.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
The things which would really give you harshness of ride would be the lowering springs and also some of the aftermarket shocks. All poly bushes on the car will not give you harsh ride, but will give much tighter control and more lifetime. So, i say it is a must. Again, if you do a search, there is a lot of info on the spring/shocks combos, which ones are the harshest, which ones are the softest.

If you want to retain comfort, I would probably just change the shocks to bilsteins, all the bushings possible to poly(suspension wise), ball joints and tie rods.
Concerning the motor mounts, I have both top poly, both bottom rubber, and tranny poly. I have to admit - the car vibrates on the traffic lights. However, the response to the throttle is much better. With poly tran mount it seems the car is much more picky on the wheel balancing. I started getting slight vibration on speeds in excess of 100. I will balance the wheels as soon as I get to it, and see if it fixes it though. Trans poly bushing really cured the torque steer for me(didn't eliminate it obviously but reduced it quite a lot).

Klim

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the next question, is there anything that I DON'T need to replace? I want to order the stuff I need ahead of time, but I don't want to buy/replace stuff that doesn't tend to wear out. Of course, after 220k, I'd be suspect of pretty much anything made of rubber.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Not talking about the motor mounts, but I have heard that replacing just the wishbone's in the front with poly bushings are a big improvement in handling and not too bad on the comfort issue.

I just did all this and I went with all new rubber everywhere I could get it and did the front wishbones with poly, the sway bars with poly bushings and put new koni adjustable shocks on the car, it rides awesome! I can go full soft for comfort and full firm for track of twisty driving.

I went with Koni adjustable shocks, stock aero springs with one coil cut off them for a slight lowering of the cg, rubber and some poly bushings, the sas sway bars are a huge help in the body roll of the car in the corners and I also put the upper strut brace from GS.

I replaced all my tie-rods and ball joints up front and new control arm oe bushings as well.

The car has been transformed and corners like its on rails. There is a slight difference in stiffness with the lowered springs, but its all well worth it in my opinion. I have upper and lower poly motor mount bushings, they do add some vibration at idle, but that is it, once you are moving the vibration is gone and the engine puts more power to the ground because its not flexing as much. I prefer that better throttle response with the poly motor mounts,

Good luck,

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts