SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals I’m new to this forum and new to the Saab culture. I’m highly interested in getting. 9-3 Aero but not sure whether to go with the 03-07 aeros or 08-12 aero awd could I get some pointers on both on which is better in terms of engine and is the AWD good on the newer 9-3’s?

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
You'll have to explain why you are interested in a Saab and Aero in particular. The V6 Aeros (2006-2009?) have more power. There are positives and negatives to any particular year Aero. What is your budget and goals?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'll have to explain why you are interested in a Saab and Aero in particular. The V6 Aeros (2006-2009?) have more power. There are positives and negatives to any particular year Aero. What is your budget and goals?
Well I’m definitely attracted to the cars looks but I want to try something new other than Honda or Toyota. My buddy has a 04 9-5 aero and I fell in love once he introduced me to the car, so I don’t really know much about Saab except that they made jet engines. I’m sure I will learn a lot in this forum about them from others and their experiences with Saabs. And my budget $7000

·
Registered
641 Posts
Either or really.
Generally speaking, for 4-cyl Aero 05/06 is better as electrical and early model issues were worked out of the cars and this was before the intake valve issue surfaced on 07+ models (GM inferior part change around model year 07). If looking at 07+ models, you want to make sure the seller has documented that the intake valve was completed or negotiate price accordingly.

On 6-cyl Aero models, it was only offered in 06-08. It is quite a bit more thirsty than the 4-cyl but arguably more fun. I've had both and prefer the 6-cyl. Early 06 models had smaller brakes and also a relatively weaker timing chain. 07+ models got updated interior which looks more GM-ish. 08 models got the exterior facelift and if you prefer the newer style.

AWD was introduced in 08 I believe but the systems are early Haldex systems and require maintenance and parts are hard to get to service the AWD unit.

Generally speaking the 6-cylinder is quite reliable but somewhat difficult to work on when an issue does arise due to tight engine bay and not a lot of room to work. Though the 4-cylinder has it's share of difficult things too, i.e. internal water pump.

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
I just picked up a 2006 9-3 Aero Vert with 150K miles. Car was horribly maintained but I got it for 1500, +tires,+ Brakes,+ odds and ends (brake flush, filters, plugs, roof sealing) Other than that I love the car. It is smooooth and quick. I get 27MPG at 80 on the highway, 20 around town, depends on what your idea of thirsty is.

Haven't had to work on much but will be doing plugs this weekend, looks like only the rear plugs could be a hassle. Car has really comfortable seats, I travel 250 mile at at time drives 2X a week.

Issues are the weird Saab radio (03-06) (if you want to add a new headunit rear view etc.

You don't really need AWD, Saabs are like a snow plow in snow with good all seasons (better with Snows)

ANyway check thme out, all good cars (so far to me) BTW I have had 9 Saabs this is my first NG car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Generally speaking, for 4-cyl Aero 05/06 is better as electrical and early model issues were worked out of the cars and this was before the intake valve issue surfaced on 07+ models (GM inferior part change around model year 07). If looking at 07+ models, you want to make sure the seller has documented that the intake valve was completed or negotiate price accordingly.

On 6-cyl Aero models, it was only offered in 06-08. It is quite a bit more thirsty than the 4-cyl but arguably more fun. I've had both and prefer the 6-cyl. Early 06 models had smaller brakes and also a relatively weaker timing chain. 07+ models got updated interior which looks more GM-ish. 08 models got the exterior facelift and if you prefer the newer style.

AWD was introduced in 08 I believe but the systems are early Haldex systems and require maintenance and parts are hard to get to service the AWD unit.

Generally speaking the 6-cylinder is quite reliable but somewhat difficult to work on when an issue does arise due to tight engine bay and not a lot of room to work. Though the 4-cylinder has it's share of difficult things too, i.e. internal water pump.
Thanks for this seriously

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just picked up a 2006 9-3 Aero Vert with 150K miles. Car was horribly maintained but I got it for 1500, +tires,+ Brakes,+ odds and ends (brake flush, filters, plugs, roof sealing) Other than that I love the car. It is smooooth and quick. I get 27MPG at 80 on the highway, 20 around town, depends on what your idea of thirsty is.

Haven't had to work on much but will be doing plugs this weekend, looks like only the rear plugs could be a hassle. Car has really comfortable seats, I travel 250 mile at at time drives 2X a week.

Issues are the weird Saab radio (03-06) (if you want to add a new headunit rear view etc.

You don't really need AWD, Saabs are like a snow plow in snow with good all seasons (better with Snows)

ANyway check thme out, all good cars (so far to me) BTW I have had 9 Saabs this is my first NG car
dope I’m currently looking at red 06 aero

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I had an 07 Aero from 2009-2012, bought it with 40,000 miles and sold it with 123,000 miles. Other than scheduled maintenance I had 2 fuel pump replacements which are a known issue on the 2.8 engine but also a toss up whether it ever happens or not. A few other things like buying a new front lip and replacing the cracked trim on the rear window. Never left me stranded and always got 30-31mpg on the highway and 19-20 city. I just recently bought an 2008 with XWD and so far love it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just went through a similar search and ended up with an 06 Aero SportCombi. I still go back and forth between the pre and post-facelift cars. I think you will be happy either way. On this forum, I think AWD is generally viewed as unnecessary (even though it is a cool feature).

If a bumpin' sound system is important to you, the 08+ is a must due to the GM radio (You can't really upgrade the pre-facelift stereo as it uses a fiber-optics)

The 08+ cars can suffer from the "weak intake valve" issue. I didn't dig too deep on this because I really could't find any 08+ cars near me. It might be good to go read up on that. Not sure if it's over-hyped or a serious issue.

Initially I was open to a 2.0T or an Aero. As time progressed, the Aero became a must for me. I think its just so much more car (V6, dual exhaust, special interior trim, full body kit, bigger brakes, lowered suspension) with basically no price premium on the used market.

My biggest word of advice is to get one with a documented service history (and one with 2 keys!). High mileage shouldn't deter you if it has a good service history (my car has 185k, but I bought it from the original owner with a massive folder of maintenance records). If you are like me and just want to drive a cool, fast Saab for a few years, high mileage w/ good service history is the way to go.

I think I might know of the red 06 Aero you are looking at...PM me if you want to discuss.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts