SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove the 2.0t (175) convertible, and have decided to buy myself a new 2.0T Aero Convertible (aero wasnt available to test drive). It may sound crazy but I havent test driven one yet, but I am sure it is a great car.

Could any of you that own, or have driven an Aero saloon/convertible give me your opinions on the performance/handling. The 0-60 times etc that you see in the press are never a great reflection on the real performance of the car, so any opinions/experiences you have had would be appreciated.

I now have to wait 6-8wks for delivery - that's the hard bit!

Cheers

·
Registered
286 Posts
I ve test driven the Aero SS twice before I went ahead and ordered one. The first one to get familiar with it, the second drive for hard driving (both 6-speed manual) . The reasons I love the car are that it is very refined with low noise levels, it handles great, has tremendous power at low revs and overtaking is a breeze.
I had my father in the car for the second drive and I drove it as hard as I could on twisty back roads. As feedback, he told me he hadnt seen anything like it, and while I was taking the bends with no liftoff, he didnt feel any roll but only the centrifugal force. To me it feels kinda like someone is drilling your stomach.
Anyway, since break-in, I usually drive it hard, never slowing down for the bends. Actually, I m having trouble keeping it around legal speed limits. Our roads are lightly patrolled so no problem with that (in Germany, no limits unless indicated). I dont know if you are familiar with bimmers' cornering, but if you are, you have to turn in a little earlier with the Saab.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
About the only advantage the 2.0t has over the 2.0T is a smaller turbo and less lag when you jump on it. The Aero tends to take a split second to spin up and then slings you forward. The 2.0t tends to feel like it has more instantaneous power, but from the mid-level up the 2.0T will dust it. As mentioned above the ReAxs (rear wheel steering through bushing deflection) makes the car really feel like it's on rails when taking a tight curve at speed - nothing like it! :D

There's one cloverleaf shaped ramp in Atlanta that takes you from one interstate to another (400N to I-285W) and I did get a good 4-wheel drift going hitting that at high speed, but very predictably the car snapped back into a straight line as soon as I let off the throttle just slightly - NO UNDERSTEER! :cheesy:

·
Registered
193 Posts
You are right...the 0-60 times are truly not reflective of the power found in the 2.0T. Saab limits boost in first gear, which will falsely underestimate the power by giving a mediocre 0-60 time. I've owned a 6 speed aero for around ten months, and I find that this car's forte is highway driving. This car eats up tarmac at highway speeds. Passing in third gear takes seconds...acceleration from 60-90 mph is truly amazing.

The steering is quite accurate, although I wish on center feel were a little better. Handling is fantastic. It is a little harsh over rough pavement, but well worth the trade-off in the twisties. -Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
93 SS handling - a comparitive retrospective

Hey all - first post but not new to the board - thanks for making my transition to a new 93 so comfortable.

Just had to comment (and spare the hey it's my first post blah blah), and say that i do get a kick out of the posts re: handling on rails, suspension, etc. THe car DOES handle great and rips the twisties with east.

I just come from the unique perspective of trading in my 2000 celica gts 6sp to acquire my '05 arc 5sp.

The celica was really like a go-cart. Probably won't drive anything quite like that until i can afford an M3!!

That said, the 93 SS is truly a great car with as much "sports car" DNA as one can have in a 4 door (now that my boy is quickly approaching 2 years old).

Anyhoo...looking forward to speaking up a bit more.

cheers

·
Registered
430 Posts
wills said:
Could any of you that own, or have driven an Aero saloon/convertible give me your opinions on the performance/handling. The 0-60 times etc that you see in the press are never a great reflection on the real performance of the car, so any opinions/experiences you have had would be appreciated.
I was invited on a driver training day a couple of weeks ago by my local Saab Car Club. I got to drive my own car on an autocross circuit that was covered with water at various parts. It was heaps of fun and I was able to test the car out in relative safety.

As a comparison, one of the cars that participated was a BMW Z4 (auto). To start with, the Z4 was quicker than my Aero (auto) by about 2 seconds on a 2 lap circuit. As we learnt the track, the time reduced to a 1 second gap. On my final turn I managed to complete 2 laps in front of the Z4 by 1 second!

Needless to say I was very impressed with the results and was amazed at how well the car handled in the wet. I felt totally safe and now have a better appreciation of how well the ESP works.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Saab gave me an Aero try out this weekend in advance of collecting my new convertible in a few weeks.

It's the first time I've driven one and I agree with your comments above. It doesnt feel like earth shattering performance until you see the speedo, and realise you're breaking the law...

I cant believe the stereo though. I have es2-7 on my car and have order es2-13 on the new one, but on this Aero loan car it's only the 4 speaker version which is, well, crap...

How many miles are you getting on a talk of fuel? I've only taken the Aero round the block, and it's reading 330 miles on a full tank, but then again I am getting addicted to the sound of the turbo which doesnt help..!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I manage 25mpg on average. After 5000 miles its getting better though, around 27mpg. Highway driving will turn a better number, that is plus 30mpg. Covertible is heavier than the SS. Subtract a few mpg.

·
Registered
563 Posts
For what its worth here is my input :)

First performance. Engine. I have to say that its 'nice' I really can't say myself that its THAT fast. Alot of people here seem to be really taken with the power. but to me honestly. Its just nice. Nippy rather than fast. 0-60 times are not that hot. mainly cause of crappy boost in 1st gear. Its terrible. 2nd gets alot better and 3rd you start to smile. so while 0-60 time is not so good, I'd have to say that 50-80mph is very nice.. so kinda makes up for it. I can't wait to upgrade it though. Then i'm hoping to be happy!

Handling. Great. you can really feel the rear axis thingy working. Doesn't feel like a front whell drive car. much more controlled. But I would say that I think it could have some better feed back. Even the hirsch car I drove (which was even better) still could use some more feel. Hoping my next set of tyres can help with this. But it does feel good. and safe.

Top speed is correct. I had mine on a 2 mile track flat out 145 (gps used to confirm indicated 148)

Build quality I'd have to say poor. I've driven 4 93's and only 1 out of 4 felt like it was bolted together correctly, (NOT MINE DAMIT)!

Design kinda makes up for it though.. its great looking, and well designed.

Overall very good car. Just needs a bit more 'umph' and generally quality control needs sorting out. having said that .. I know that newer 93's are put to gether better, so might not be such an issue now. Stereo system is dire though! Turn your fade to your rear speakers and you could just cry with shame!

Oh yeh, mpg is very good. i get a good 33 + even seen 40 when i reset it on the motor way and put the cruise on at 68mph!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts