SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I'm a new saab owner. 2004 9-5 Arc (white-ish). I searched the threads and could not find the answers to my questions so hopefully somebody can help...

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to replace my front (heated and ventilated grey) seat(s) with the Aero (heated and ventilated) seats as they are far more comfortable.

Also, I've had absolutely no luck finding a replacement brushed aluminum dash (instrument panel). I'm wondering if there is anywhere I can find those or if people have had experience with any third party (stick on :( ) kits and how they have fared installing those... Do they look good or can you tell that it's a fake?

Lastly, I'm wondering how difficult it would be to replace these on my own (including aero steering wheel which I have been able to find on some online saab part stores).

And for those who wonder why I didn't just go ahead and get an Aero in the first place... many reasons....loved the color.. blah blah ...none very interesting.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Welcome!

-Yes, there should be no problem putting Aero seats in your car. I believe the dealer would have to order them for you, who installs them is up to you (it is very simple.)

-As for a dash, check this out: http://www.stateofnine.com/page/stateofnine/PROD/1999_05_9-5DK
or just contact your Saab dealer's parts department and order one from Saab.

The seats and instrument panel should be fairly simple, but I would still have it done somewhere else (like a dealer or a mechanic you trust.) This would really have to be done anyway for the steering wheel because of the airbag.

So, good luck, I hope this helped and now the only thing you gotta worry about is that Aero engine!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx

Thanks guys!

I'm going to try to stay away from the stick on kit and try to find an original dash... I guess ebay is the way to go...

If anybody knows of one that's available....

Cheers!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
removal

Just out of curiosity... Is there a step by step guide anywhere for removing/replacing the dash? Haven't been able to find one anywhere...

Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
natijoe said:
Thanks guys!

I'm going to try to stay away from the stick on kit and try to find an original dash... I guess ebay is the way to go...

If anybody knows of one that's available....

Cheers!
You can simply order one from your Saab dealer parts department, and that will be the best quality. But, you probably will get a better deal on ebay...all depends on your patience. Good luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Gemini,

I checked with a Saab dealer and I was quoted between $500-900. That's out of my budget unfortunately....

I waited a year and a half to find the 9-5 I wanted (albeit I couldn't find the Aero in time) I figure I can wait to find a good deal on the panel. Any ideas about how to remove the dash once I do have the panel?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah, $500 sounds right...but 900 is too high. Either way, if you can find a good deal and are willing to wait, go for it! By the way, how much did they say new seats would be?

No, but I believe it is some sort of adhesive...You can probably have someone do it for you or pickup a repair manual and that should tell you how to do it. Of course, it would cost you to have someone else do it :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, funny thing about the seats... I called a dealer and the parts dept. fellow could not figure out how to order individual seats... he said he could only order the parts for the seat (i.e. headrest, foam insert, covers, memory mechanism...). Personally, I think that's a load of... but I'll call another dealer tomorrow to see what happens...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure they can get them...You could also try a collision center, they must have to order new seats sometimes. Just a note, but I do not believe Aero's had that interior color (kinda a grey/blue color) so your seats won't match perfectly...

·
Registered
525 Posts
The dash and the steering wheel are in fact very easy. Just don't drop the airbag, and you'll be fine ;].

I recently picked up an Aero steering wheel for my car on eBay for $80 or so. Turned out to be a 20 minute job. Here's a step-by-step.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! That airbag stuff looks like it is beyond the realm of my expertise.. hopefully the dash isn't that difficult to replace.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The steering wheel air bag removal and refitting is really easy, I bought a leather trimmed steering wheel for my 93 covertible and fitted it myself. I also bought a stick on walnut dash kit for it from ebay, and it totally transformed the car, it looked very classy and was a really well made piece of kit.....I'd suggest going for a stick on kit, they're cheaper easier to fit and look the bussiness,

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Well I just got my stock brushed aluminum dash. I'm a little bit disappointed, as it appears to be brushed aluminum "look" paint. I was hoping for some real brushed metal. Oh well, if it bugs me enough I will either paint it to match my car or get a stateofnine brushed aluminum kit.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I actually noticed when I sat in an aero with brushed aluminum that it wasn't really metal but just painted over the black plastic. My only concern is that a kit will leave some of the wood visible and that if I even need to remove it it will leave a horrible residue (not that I'd ever remove it...)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Not all Aero owners like the OEM aluminium dash. Find someone willing to swap their dash for your woodgrain version, and you're set ;]

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
GeminiMoods said:
Just a note, but I do not believe Aero's had that interior color (kinda a grey/blue color) so your seats won't match perfectly...
That looks like the somewhat rare Granite Grey interior, which was a MY04 only interior colour IIRC, and I think you could get this with the vented/heated seats in an Aero. However the chances of finding such in a breakers yard is extreamly remote to say the least.....and I believe the Saab parts guy is correct in that you can't order a complete seat. If you could you'd need a 2nd mortgage for them, when you consider the base alone for a non-vented Aero seat is about $2000......:eek:

Why do you want to replace a proper and expensive walnut dash with a naff piece of painted plastic......:eek: However, the best option as said, is offer it as a swop with an Aero owner who wants a walnut dash.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
aeropilot said:
However the chances of finding such in a breakers yard is extreamly remote to say the least.....and I believe the Saab parts guy is correct in that you can't order a complete seat. If you could you'd need a 2nd mortgage for them, when you consider the base alone for a non-vented Aero seat is about $2000......:eek:
aeropilot is right about the seats. I have a 2003 Aero with the tan sport (non-ventilated) seats and I've been looking for some ventilated versions for about 1 1/2 years now. I check with all the breakers(salvage yards) that I know of on a weekly basis, and they have yet to even see a set of sport-ventilated seats, regardless of colour. The option was extremely rare; it only became more common in the 2005 models, and still had to be ordered specifically. Getting them new from the dealer is not and option for me; last time I checked the tan Aero sport heated/ventilated seat brand new was close to $5K per seat, and that's not even including the wiring and switches. Best of luck to you though. At least were not stepping on each others toes in the search since you are needing grey(charcoal) and I need tan. Cheers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts