SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Along the bottom of the doors there are "screws" that appear to need drilled out, to remove the panels. They also hold on the rubber strip on the bottom of the door. If I do this what will I replace the screws with, small bolts seems untidy.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ooops, how dumb of me

I should have looked closer, now I will just have to hunt for black rivets.

Sorry for the trouble.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
rawill said:
I should have looked closer, now I will just have to hunt for black rivets.

Sorry for the trouble.
Rawill,

Just today I was contemplating the removal of my SPG's side panels so I can paint them. They're held on by that same row of rivets along the bottom of the door. It looks to me like it's a 3/16" (almost 5 mm) rivet in my door / panels. I plan to use the 3/16" aluminum pop rivets (we call them) that are available at any hardware store. I'll probably use a washer on the bottom side of the rivet. Of course I've already got a pop rivet gun.

Do you have pop rivets there? I think they're available with black tops, but not common. But, I doubt that anyone would notice if you just left them the aluminum color.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes we have those rivets

and I have the gun. I guess I can paint them black. As I said I should have looked closer, and yes I think a small washer underneath to hold up the panel.

I am putting the panels on my 92 900 LPT vert,

but I also have an 89 900 FPT vert. I am taking panels off it to see how bad the rust is and if it is repairable. LF guard and doors have rust. LF guard in arch and at front corner under aero panel as well as rear of guard under aero panel. At least the aero panels will cover most of it if I do repair it.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Steve Corgan said:
Do you have pop rivets there? I think they're available with black tops, but not common. But, I doubt that anyone would notice if you just left them the aluminum color.
I can't imagine that painting the heads with some of the left-over paint from getting the panels themselves sprayed would be THAT big a job...

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
I can't imagine that painting the heads with some of the left-over paint from getting the panels themselves sprayed would be THAT big a job...
That's the trick right there.:lol: I'm using Duplicolor Trim Paint with Adhesion Promoter.

·
Registered
444 Posts
What you might find a challenge is finding blind rivets with a nice wide head like the originals, (the idea being, presumably, to spread the load a bit and not cut into the rubber seal.)

I prefer the black too. Did some homework recently and found you can get plastic rivets (yep, black) - check these out

http://www.bylerrivet.com/products/blind-rivets.aspx?cat=30

They look like they might supply them with a wide head going by the pic.

P.S. While the above is a plastic replacement for the typical "pop" rivet used on the bottom of the 900 doors, I don't see why one would need to use them anyhow. Surely those common fasteners you see in cars with the pin thru the centre that expands the "blind side" would do the job, provided the blind side doesn't protude too far. These are the sort I mean http://www.fastex.com.au/plasti_rivets.htm, and I reckon "scrivets" would do equally well as on this page http://www.fastex.com.au/plastic_fasteners.htm

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked out your first link BUT

while the pictures look like the right thing they have no information on them!!

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
Good point. "Inox" is known as "stainless steel" in English.
mmm acier inoxydable , it's my favorite breakfast cereal

·
Registered
444 Posts
I had a look at my doors the other day - one side has those typical ridged plastic plugs you see in lots of automotive applications (I guess someone changed the bottom rubber seal), and the other still has the original
rivets.

Both seem to be doing any equally good job.

·
Registered
444 Posts
rawill said:
while the pictures look like the right thing they have no information on them!!
Rawill,

I just posted the link for the pic - I agree there isn't a lot of info there. The more I think this over, the more I'm taken by the various plastic fasteners on the second link - who'd have thought there were so many shapes and sizes to suit a million applications? I'd imagine a phone call to a few similar companies around your town should yield results, whether you go for a steel or plastic solution. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts