SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I've been driving around in a 1998 9-5SE 2.0 (BSR stage 1 ppc) for the past few years, have managed to come across a nice silver 9-5 Aero Wagon (manual) (1999) for the right money and I am picking it up tomorrow.

First impressions on test drive, my god the power comes so much quicker than my current SE. The Aero seems to be able to breath better and throw the power down quicker, not to mention stop that bit quicker too.

I'm buying it trade hence the cheaper price so I have a few little bits and pieces to sort out but looking forward to getting hold of it (tomorrow hopefully).

Can't wait!

Michael

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Well done thats great news, we will wait patiently for a full picture gallery ;)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed will have to whip out the camera, its going to be fun, and its been a long long while coming :)

Thanks Chris, looking forward to it!

Cheers
Michael

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Was the old car manual as well?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Chris,

Yeah its a manual gearbox, I've never had anything else :)

I was looking for an automatic aero but was kind of unsure about changing from a manual box to an auto when I've never really drove an automatic car. Just have visions of slamming down my left foot looking for a clutch pedal and instead finding the brake pedal and doing a suprise stopping test.

The car I'm getting seems to have everything bar sat nav, its got the heated and ventilated seats, front ones electronically adjusted (black leather), cd changer, sunroof, rear heated seats the current owner is under the impression the turbo has failed, as the turbo is smoking at start up and under acceleration it hasnt had the Crank case ventilation fix fitted and it seems to be boosting normally. For the money I'm getting it for its still worth doing and I'm 90 percent sure the fix will sort it.

Going to drop the sump on it and check the pickup on the oil pump and give all a good clean then fit the breather mod will see what happens then.

Michael

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Sounds sweet ;)

No more autos for me :nono;

Not only is the fuel consumption rediculous but I wanna decide when to change gear, and its not as I power out of a fast bend :eek:
There is a very cheap TD-04 on flebay at the moment too ;)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah its that and not to mention driving on ice/snow its nice to be able to gear down in advance and not having to go near the brakes, I have a friend who says automatics are sweet and yes they probably are for driving in urban areas alright I think open roads manual is the way to go.

Plus, you can get more torque when you tune up cars with manual transmissions :) Nothing wrong with a few metal gears converting engine power to the wheels!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I work in East London, my average speed is..................well parked really, but still I wont have another auto :nono;

As we speak my LSD is being fitted into a completely rebuilt gear box with lightened flywheel.................now you cant put that into an auto :cheesy:

Lookin forward to your pics pal ;)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds very tasty all those fancy bits thats what you call some fun modifications have yet to pull a gearbox off a 9-5 so I've no idea how much fun that is. Can the LSD be fitted on with the box in situ Im guessing its a take out job? The lightened flywheel sounds exotic will that make her trickier to take off with, without stalling :)

I will get the pics on here with better camera and give everyone a look.

Cheers
Michael

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
dicreamio said:
Hi Chris,

Yeah its a manual gearbox, I've never had anything else :)

I was looking for an automatic aero but was kind of unsure about changing from a manual box to an auto when I've never really drove an automatic car. Just have visions of slamming down my left foot looking for a clutch pedal and instead finding the brake pedal and doing a suprise stopping test.
Oh let me tell you stories... :eek:

It's scary when you don't have a clutch! You don't realize how rapidly you depress the clutch until you find the brake of an automatic! :eek:

Funny afterwards though, if you don't get rear-ended...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh it happened to me while I was moving my uncles car (an automatic nissan almera) which happened to be the exact same colour and interior as the company car I had at the time.... my company car at the time was a manual so it was as if I was in my own car, until I went to look for 2nd gear....

I didnt realise til I stopped (very suddenly) one would nearly be better tying the left foot to the drivers seat or something...

Im sure folk who are used to autos have fun trying to get used to manual cars :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts