SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 99 9-5 LPT cosmic blue with a sludged engine in Vermont and replaced the engine last week with a long block out of a 2001 Aero test vehicle, and promptly drove back to Utah with no real issues! Needless to say, I feel pretty close to my car now.

When replacing the engine, I left the LPT intake manifold and fuel injectors on the car even though I had the intake and manifold off of the aero because one sensor did not match up (top side of the intake manifold on the passenger side) The LPT screwed in like a spark plug, or O2 sensor, while the Aero it was attached like a crank position sensor with two bolts retaining it. Both sensors had 3 wires coming off of them, but just to be safe for the trip back to Utah, I left the LPT intake and sensor on.

NOW, I want to put a TD04 turbo in, and think the AERO intake and injectors would help out alot(plus, the aero intake is like new and clean while the LPT has a lot of GUNK in it). Does anyone know if I can just splice the wires on that one mystery sensor? I dont even know what the sensor is, Im guessing intake temp, but just a guess. Are there any other issues with swapping intakes besides this?

I plan on replacing the ECU as well, in order to take advantage of the extra boost the Mitsu turbo can pump out.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hirsch replace the LPT intake with the aero one with every ECU update

Hirsch replace the LPT intake with the aero one with every ECU update (this is standart by Hirsch, you do not get this with Maptun, BSR, et all). So, its no problem with the upgraded ECU (but maybe it will not work right with a stock ECU).

I don't know what they do with the sensor though...

·
Registered
No current Saab, only BMW at the moment
186 Posts
The manifold, sensors and injectors are interchangeable between models of a similar year. In fact I believe the same injectors were used from 1998 to 2002 regardless of which engine was installed.

Saab changed the manifold design a couple of times, but from MY2001 all manifolds and sensors were the same regardless of which state of tune was employed (they changed them again in 2004 but it was the same design for all engines).

The reason you have a difference is that you have a 1999 car and the 2001 manifold has a different design and sensor.

You would need to find out whether the operation of the sensors are the same (same resistance/performance etc) for 1999 and 2001 before you put the 2001 manifold on the car and hooked it up to the 1999 ECU. If upgrading the CPU, speak to the tuner and take their advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts