SaabCentral Forums banner

Should I change the bumper to an Aero cover?

• Yes, it is that much better

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • No, put the $ towards more tuning

Votes: 4 25.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
If I had an '02-'05, I would have done it the month I bought my car, lol.

But that's just me. I prefer the '04-'05 Aero bumper over any of the other 9-5 bumpers.

·
Registered
727 Posts
If I had an '02-'05, I would have done it the month I bought my car, lol.

But that's just me. I prefer the '04-'05 Aero bumper over any of the other 9-5 bumpers.
Agreed, 04 and 05 Aero front end is the best looking. Think it would look great on your car, Rare.

·
Registered
927 Posts
also agree, the bumper grill insert looks better bigger.

How successful have people been, if any, with doing that bumper on a 99?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I agree it looks more aggressive but it's MUCH better looking and really changes how the aero looks. A little less sleeper though, but you've got the "go" to back it up.;ol;

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
It looks good on lighter colored cars, not so muxh so on darker colors.

Try a $60 Mustang lip on there first and see what think.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
also agree, the bumper grill insert looks better bigger.

How successful have people been, if any, with doing that bumper on a 99?
Quite successful, but it's a lot of work. I'll try to dig up the thread where someone did it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quite successful, but it's a lot of work. I'll try to dig up the thread where someone did it.
Yeah, fatship (or daveship on TSL) converted his 1st Gen over to the newer Aero Bumper. I love it, wish I had the time and money to do the same on mine right now...I'm still going to do it sometime in the future. I love my car too much to just swap it for a newer one.

It looks good on lighter colored cars, not so muxh so on darker colors.
I don't know if I totally agree on that, because fatship/daveship (who I just mentioned above) has an all-black Aero that looks amazing after the swap.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I don't know if I totally agree on that, because fatship/daveship (who I just mentioned above) has an all-black Aero that looks amazing after the swap.
Yeah, I think this bumper looks good on any color, but it looks especially good on white....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeah, I think this bumper looks good on any color, but it looks especially good on white....

Hah, that is the same image I have saved on my computer from like last year. I even did a quick "photoshop" and color matched all the black trim and door handles. That Aero looks so good in white...J-Rod, you need to do this to yours ASAP;ol; lol

I do agree that the lighter colors tend to look better, because the bumper stands out a little bit more, but the darker colors look amazing as well. So I kinda get what you mean Norm95, I just wouldn't say that it doesn't look too good on the darker cars...It just doesn't look AS Amazing;)

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Hah, that is the same image I have saved on my computer from like last year. I even did a quick "photoshop" and color matched all the black trim and door handles. That Aero looks so good in white...J-Rod, you need to do this to yours ASAP;ol; lol
It's the plan. :cheesy: I'm just waiting for one to turn up in a salvage yard. :lol: They're about $400 new.

·
Registered
453 Posts
As much as I think it is that much better looking, I can't stand the discontinuity with the bumper trim up front. Especially when you have a license plate bracket there anyway.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
pfff... if it doesn't make it stop faster, handle better, or give it more go... who the hell cares! haha

If you NEEDED a new front bumper, then it's a no brainer, but yours is in good shape, so I say stick with it

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,297 Posts
What do you guys think?

Is it purely cosmetic, or is it that much better?

Well the Aero version meets the ground closer, and I prefer the gap in the middle of the bumper moulding strips over it being run across the entire front. Stance/aggressive looks are those subtle things alot of people overlook until later on, and then look for changes. Or they just say "damn it." I removed my Aero vanity plate as well........no bracket either. Looks better w/out anything IMO.

·
Registered
183 Posts
As much as I think it is that much better looking, I can't stand the discontinuity with the bumper trim up front. Especially when you have a license plate bracket there anyway.
You know, I never even noticed the bumper trim until now, but I actually prefer it. My friend has a Volvo S60 R, and his bumper trim looks the same as the '04-'05 Aero does. His car looks exactly like this one:

I think the trim looks better that way. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,297 Posts
Looks a lot better when you don't have a front plate (thanks to the state of NM they only issue one).

Ditto........... I added one more for my own entertainment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts