SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally decided to change my burnt out fog light bulb on my 2004 9-5 Aero. Sounds simple enough, right?….well, not really.
So I go to my local Checker Auto Parts for the bulb. I thought: “why would I go to a dealership for something simple as a fog light and why would I bother to buy it online if I can just go and get it right away”. The shop assistant looks my car up on the computer and hands me a 55 watt H1 bulb. I go home and crawl under the car to only find out that it’s an absolutely different looking bulb :confused:. Take a look at the pictures of what they gave me:

http://www.sasab.com/images/items/H1.jpg

Irritated and a bit mad I go back to Checker Auto Parts and tell them that it’s a wrong light bulb. They look and the bulb that I took out of my car and give me a new one that looks exactly the same (Unfortunately I can’t find a pic). I go home, plug it in and it works and I try to screw it back in to the fog light assembly….and it just wont screw in. After carefully examining both the new and the old bulb, I find out that the edges where it screws in are different. By this time I am pretty pissed. So I try to take the bulb out (just as I though my day could not get any better) and it is stuck. I pull and pull….no use, so I screw the bulb in the best I can and hop into my Aero to fly back to Checker Auto Parts and let all hell loose :evil:. I get those idiots to reimburse me because they, once again, gave me the wrong bulb. As I walk out I tell them that they should fcuking know what they are doing and I tell them to fcuk themselves :evil::evil::evil:.

The next day in the morning I take my car to my mechanic Carl, he specializes in Saabs, to take care of this problem. He calls me back and tells me it was a wrong bulb and that, because it was not screwed in properly, it burnt through the plastic around the fog light assembly. He also informed me that this type of bulb needs to be ordered from the dealer directly (stupid me!). Now instead of costing me $30 for the bulb, I have to get a new fog light assembly for $150 + labor!!!!! I was furious!!!!! So finally Carl took out the bulb and put the right one in and applied some silicone to hold it in place. It works fine, but if I want to make the repair properly, I would have to get a new assembly.

Sorry for this long post, I just did not want this to happen to other people.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Err.. my 9-5 uses H1 bulbs.

And the fog light if you do have to change them are about $70 and 5 minutes to fit.

Don't know what the problem is.....

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
this sucks....but it should also be a lesson to NEVER trust ANYTHING the guys at the autoparts stores have to say. they have NO professional qualification whatsoever and i wouldn't trust them with my car.

i had one guy try to convince me that gear-lubricant was the same thing as manual transmission fluid, another didnt know what tried to tell me silicone vacuum hoses didn't exist.

they are not gifted people, by any means.

·
Registered
718 Posts
this sucks....but it should also be a lesson to NEVER trust ANYTHING the guys at the autoparts stores have to say. they have NO professional qualification whatsoever and i wouldn't trust them with my car.

i had one guy try to convince me that gear-lubricant was the same thing as manual transmission fluid, another didnt know what tried to tell me silicone vacuum hoses didn't exist.

True in some parts but this case doesn't sound like the autoparts store's problem.

Some/most of the time they look and rely on books for what part fits what car. That is what you get unless you find one who know a particular car/make. In my time as a Motor Factor I owned Fiats & Lancias so I became a roladex on what fitted my cars. Other makes? - I knew what was fast moving but on the few and far between cars (like for example a Saab) - I used the books or got the customer to bring me the part and would match it up.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
1) Never go to a generic parts store like Checker or O'Reilly or Autozone, ect.,for Saab Parts, have some patience, do your homework, ask a lot of questions here and order from somewhere like eEuroparts...eEuroparts has spent years filtering out all of the crap parts that will not work on your car.
2) You should be able to find a used part to replace the part that was melted, it will take some time and some patience, but you will find one. Start by looking here in the classified parts section.
3) Don't take your frustrations out on a person who's making $8 an hour working at a Generic Parts store, (It's just bad Karma), they're stuck in a dead end job and could care less about your car, ...

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
1) Never go to a generic parts store like Checker or O'Reilly or Autozone, ect.,for Saab Parts, have some patience, do your homework, ask a lot of questions here and order from somewhere like eEuroparts...eEuroparts has spent years filtering out all of the crap parts that will not work on your car.
2) You should be able to find a used part to replace the part that was melted, it will take some time and some patience, but you will find one. Start by looking here in the classified parts section.
3) Don't take your frustrations out on a person who's making $8 an hour working at a Generic Parts store, (It's just bad Karma), they're stuck in a dead end job and could care less about your car, ...
4)................and breathe ................and relax :cheesy:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I get those idiots to reimburse me because they, once again, gave me the wrong bulb. As I walk out I tell them that they should fcuking know what they are doing and I tell them to fcuk themselves :evil::evil::evil:.
If it were me, I would have pulled the bulb in the first place, brought it in and then compared the two carefully BEFORE buying it. These guys are at as much fault as you.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If it were me, I would have pulled the bulb in the first place, brought it in and then compared the two carefully BEFORE buying it. These guys are at as much fault as you.

You hit the nail on the head!! This is exactly what I do for all of my parts I purchase from my Opel to the Saab to the Honda to my motorcycles. Having the part in your hand will save you a lot of trouble. If you can't get the part off, look at it so you know what the correct part looks like.

I had this happen when I ordered rear brake pads for the first time. They gave me the pads, I looked at the ones on the car in the lot, saw they were incorrect and returned them immediately. I ordered the correct parts from e-euro and never looked back.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My most favorite answer to the parts lookup question:

Q: "What is the model of your car?"

A: "I don't know, it's out there in the parking lot."

Q: "What size motor is in it?"

A: "I don't know, would it say on the trunk?"

I don't know, this bulb might fit..;)

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
If that's really how you handled that situation I am embarrassed for you and the rest of the Saab community. Have some decency. Please.

The foglight bulb for the '04-05 Aero and all '06+ 9-5's is an H8 bulb. The owner's manual itself for the 2004-2005's and most, if not all, parts books, don't list the H8. Just H1. It's not the employee's fault. How many Saab 9-5 Aero's do you think they see anyway? The only reason I know it's an H8 is because I've read a few of these kinds of threads before.

There is a 9xxx type bulb that looks very similar to an H8 and I'm thinking the guy gave you one of those. If you learn nothing else from this incident, always remember that if a bulb doesn't fit into the socket/housing/screw/whatever, DON'T use it! The 9xxx bulb is a 55w bulb, and I think the H8 is a 35w. That's why stuff melted. They make them "idiot-proof" (not implying you're an idiot) by making the bases different.

Saab dealers want $29 PER BULB for an H8. eEuroparts has Hella's for $9.99 each. The only place I have ever seen an H8 for sale is at my local Advance Auto Parts and they've had the same one open-packaged H8 on the rack for a good six months now.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, you are absolutely right. I was just so pissed about it. Next time I will do my homework LOL

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If that's really how you handled that situation I am embarrassed for you and the rest of the Saab community. Have some decency. Please.

The foglight bulb for the '04-05 Aero and all '06+ 9-5's is an H8 bulb. The owner's manual itself for the 2004-2005's and most, if not all, parts books, don't list the H8. Just H1. It's not the employee's fault. How many Saab 9-5 Aero's do you think they see anyway? The only reason I know it's an H8 is because I've read a few of these kinds of threads before.

There is a 9xxx type bulb that looks very similar to an H8 and I'm thinking the guy gave you one of those. If you learn nothing else from this incident, always remember that if a bulb doesn't fit into the socket/housing/screw/whatever, DON'T use it! The 9xxx bulb is a 55w bulb, and I think the H8 is a 35w. That's why stuff melted. They make them "idiot-proof" (not implying you're an idiot) by making the bases different.

Saab dealers want $29 PER BULB for an H8. eEuroparts has Hella's for $9.99 each. The only place I have ever seen an H8 for sale is at my local Advance Auto Parts and they've had the same one open-packaged H8 on the rack for a good six months now.
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it :) I was just so frustrated that this happened to me. Next time I will ask you guys first LOL

·
Registered
326 Posts
I had the same problem... having to replace the whole foglight as it was smashed, i found it didnt come with a bulb.

the store (Euro Car Parts) stated i needed a special holder ! ! !

My manual states i need an H1

I took the bulb from the 'good' side and trolled the net and found bugger all!

But then this thread!

WHy was my manual wrong? its the first place we should go to when looking for reference!

W

·
0 Posts
1)3) Don't take your frustrations out on a person who's making $8 an hour working at a Generic Parts store, (It's just bad Karma), they're stuck in a dead end job and could care less about your car, ...

That's a rather bold generalization, isn't it? What are the actual qualifications? I wouldn't call it a dead-end job either.

My local parts store (Carquest) has very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly people working there. I had good service at Advanced Auto and AutoZone as well.

You can't expect them to know everything about every car, especially a Saab 9-5. They rely on the database so blame that instead of the person behind the counter.

If you want to be our own mechanic, do your own research first. Be angry at yourself first before getting angry at others.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 05 9-5 Aero.

It "had" an h1 foglight bulb from the factory.

I just purchased new foglights from Saab, and they are now h8.
Sometime in between then and now, Saab changed them from h1 to h8 and changed the wiring.

So the confusion at the parts store is almost expected.. lol.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,285 Posts

Are the Hella's a whiter bulb than stocks? The stocks seem more dim than they should be......... Against the bi-xenon headlamps anyway. I'd like to find a fog bulb that would match up better to the brightness of the headlamps somewhat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts