SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently drive a 2.2 tid SS, and have to decide by end of next week as to whether to change to a new Aero convertible.

I shall be test driving one next week, but in the meantime what are they like to drive? Is there much difference between the 2.0t and 2.0T?

Obviously I will be sacrificing good MPG from the diesel, but want some fun!

Any feedback appreciated

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
The 2.0T has got the advantage of an extra 35 horses and the added torque to boot, you get more turbo kick than the 2.0t. I assume they only have the 'vert in the 2.0t for a demo so see if its got the sports chassis. Some people find the added stiffness in the 'vert is a bit too much for everday use (esp. on bad roads) but apart from the power and sports suspension everything else is the smae - oh apart from the body kit and brakes.
Both are a hoot;)!

·
Registered
771 Posts
The only thing I did not like about the 210bhp Aero was the almost total silence where there engine noise should have been :eek: It was way too easy to go over the speed limit with it :cheesy: and indeed I almost earned 3 points on the test drive. That said they are very smooth and give a good ride quality. try both the auto and a manual I found the auto to be a much nicer drive than the manual as the power was much smoother. Either way they are great cars. If you are buying new then go through www.broadspeed.co.uk I got my fully loaded 2.8 v6 for £30992 on the road (thats with the 6 speed auto box and 13 speaker audio/sat nav, comfort pack and heated seats)

Good luck

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll take the test drive but likely to go for the 2.0T. The 2.8 is tempting but unfortunately mpg will just be too hard to swallow.

The quieter engine noise will be quite a nice change from my current 'tractor' engine! But I guess the 2.8 must sound great

Cheers

·
Registered
867 Posts
Aye...do a test drive of the aero with the window open...hard on the throttle and quickly off...the whoosh - hiss - oops headrest from the turbo is very satisfying :)

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Just as a rank outsider......see what deal you can get on a 1.8t Vector convertible with a Hirsch 195BHP upgrade (+body kit). I'm sure the quicker spooling turbo of the 1.8t with the Hirsch treatment would give a Aero a very good run for its money and possibly save you some aswell!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I haven't driven the 2.0t so I can't compare. But our new Aero Conv. is a very comfortable car to drive. One thing I can tell you, we put in some long driving hours through Northern Europe after our European Delivery (one trip was 8 plus) and I have no complaints. The drive is smooth, good power, and very stable (even at very high speeds, see my write up about our trip a few weeks back). I'm extreamely happy with the comfort level. I get a back ache after about 45 minutes driving our other car (Honda Civic - terrible seats), and with the Aero I didn't have any issues. I was kind of concerned about that too, because you never know until you make that long drive in a car how it's going to feel after a couple of hours - a test drive will never give that kind of experience.
Good luck on the test drive, but if it's fun you're after, then the Aero Conv. is it... :cheesy:

·
Registered
771 Posts
wills said:
Thanks for the info, I'll take the test drive but likely to go for the 2.0T. The 2.8 is tempting but unfortunately mpg will just be too hard to swallow.

The quieter engine noise will be quite a nice change from my current 'tractor' engine! But I guess the 2.8 must sound great

Cheers
Wish I knew :( I wont get it till october :( Im just told that the twin exhausts are something else :) as for mpg I doubt it will be under 32mpg ...

·
Registered
771 Posts
JWLANKY said:
Just as a rank outsider......see what deal you can get on a 1.8t Vector convertible with a Hirsch 195BHP upgrade (+body kit). I'm sure the quicker spooling turbo of the 1.8t with the Hirsch treatment would give a Aero a very good run for its money and possibly save you some aswell!
I looked into this as an alternative. It makes insurance too much of a pain though.

Elephant wanted to charge £140 extra for the ecu remap, and a few other companies said they would not quote. while a chap at Saab said that a guy that bought one off him was only charged £35 :( I have to say that I drove a 93 saloon with the 235bhp and the engine made some rather nasty noises as the turbo spooled :( (but it had been ragged silly by just about every one :cheesy:

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have a 2003 9-3ss Vector 2.0t 175bhp. i tested the convertible with the same engine. A 2004 version vector 175bhp, the fisrt thing that surprised me was the steering wheel feeling, more hard and sportier feeling, I don't know if they changed to all versions but I like it a lot.

The cabrio performs very well, you don't feel the less stiffness of the chassis in everyday use, only in hard cornering you can detect the difference and also the less capability in some situations to filtrate the vibrations of the road, but in general it performs incredible well, I love this car.

I recomend you the 210bhp with sport chasis, as the last Aero models that have this combination, now the 210bhp only comes with the normal suspension as a vector.
In my car I make some mods, as the Saab Sport chassis and the difference is quite good, it performes incredibly well and you don't loose much comfort, Saab has a secret to find the best balance, is incredible. Also I installed the Abbott ECU kit and now it has 215bhp, like the stock Aero, and it is fantastic!!!! remember that the Aero has a 304mm brake discs but the 2.0t are 285mm, the difference is quite noticeable.

About the difference you can find coming from a 2.2TID.... I know many people from the Club Saab of Spain(here about the 75% of the sales are diesels) that changed the 2.2TID for a petrol engine and they are very happy with it. The 2.2TID performes very well, but the gasoline engines are from the other world...

greetings

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
edusaab said:
I recomend you the 210bhp with sport chasis, as the last Aero models that have this combination, now the 210bhp only comes with the normal suspension as a vector.
That isnt true at all - the all Aeros have the Sport Chassis as standard - if they didnt they sure dont deserve to wear the Aero badge.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
There has always been some confusion between Aero and Vector.

I hav a Vector 2.0t 175 bhp but in the US they had to give up the Vector name and use Aero.. Are all US Aeros 210 bhp ? And in Spain ?
I know that the Aeros normally have differnt pistons, cylinder linings, bigger disks, and whatever else to take the extra bhp. They even mention selecting the better blocks !!

I agree entirely with you Lanky that one should go for the 1.8 and add a BSR upgrade as the 1.8 is in fact a 2.0 liter with a dowgrade ECU... and that is the only difference.

Now when we are talking convertibles it is obvious that the chassis/body parts have bee made "firmer".

·
Registered
771 Posts
DavidMorgan said:
I agree entirely with you Lanky that one should go for the 1.8 and add a BSR upgrade as the 1.8 is in fact a 2.0 liter with a dowgrade ECU... and that is the only difference.
In the UK, I think they take stuff off the 1.8 that is standard on the 210 and price it so that a 1.8 with the kit = an aero as standard so you get the faster engine for free. Im pretty sure thats how it works but I would have to spend some time pricing a linea to the same cosmetic state as the aero

stuff like bi-xenons, skirting, leather

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Check the differen between 1.8 and 2.0.... in fact they have the same motors 2 liters !!!! But road tax and insurance will be cheaper on the "1.8" and al yo have to do is add a lttle BSR magic.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Since now in the US the Linear was the 175bhp. The ARC it was the same in equipment or very similar and with 210bhp, and the Vector it was the equivalent to the Aero in Europe.

In US you can buy the 210bhp as an ARC, but you don't have the sport chassis as standard and also with 16" wheels in some cases.

In Europe the Aero only has the 210bhp and with sport chassis, and aerodinamic kit.

Now, with the 2006 version and the new 2.8T. The 210bhp only will be available as a Vector version, with 17" wheels, without sport chassis and aerodinamic kit as any other Vector version, it becomes a common "vector".

In Spain we have the same versions as other European Countries, Linear, ARC, Vector and Aero.
but since 2004, the Arc version wasn't offered anymore and only we have Linear, Vector and Aero.

with the 2006 version, they make more changes...... now we have Linear, Linear Sport(as some markets as Sweden), Vector and Aero.

Linear can be ordered with; 1.8i(122bhp), 1.9TID 120bhp
Linear Sport(it is the same as the linear but with 15" wheels and other extra equipment); 1.8t 150bhp, 1.9TID 150bhp
Vector; 1.8t 150bhp, 1.9TID 150bhp, 2.0t 175bhp, 2.0T 210bhp.
Aero; 2.8T V6 250bhp.

This is for Spanish market, and the vector for example now has as standard equipment the ESP, Xenon, Es2-7 audio.

The Aero has as extra standard equipment, the foldable mirrors, colored door handles, sport chassis, aerodinamic kit, sport exhaust and so.....

As I said......I think it is better with the 210bhp version to have the sport chassis. My 2.0t with the Abbott kit and the increase of power I think that I will have some problems to domesticate the extra power:cheesy: . I think the 210bhp version and the sport chassis are a very good combination.

about the 1.8t and 2.0t, there is only ECU differences. I think that since 2004 they reduced the differences but before the 2004, for example since a chassis number both versions had a different front bearing.

greetings

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Edusaab - i see where some confusion between the Aero / Vector models may have arisen. I assumed you were talking 'European Saab' , where as the US - Saab do their own thing (to confuse issues :confused:) with model variations/ names and engines etc.
But going back to the original question... all the convertibles are damn good fun in all the engine forms. If its within your financial reach - then go for the Aero. If its not then the 1.8t/2.0t will still put a grin on your face from ear to ear! :cheesy:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts