SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi -

for quite a while now i've had the common oil leak on the flywheel side of the engine - but lately it's seemed to get much worse..

today i changed the cam cover rubber gasket and added some extra sealant as recommended on some posts here..

seemed like a simple job until i tried to put the cover back on - pretty much all the torx headed bolts stretched when I tried to torque it down - and i was careful and did them in stages from the outers first as Haynes says... two bolts sheared, although it was easy to remove them.. the bolts seem very weak...

torque setting is only 11 lft-lb in Haynes - why are these bolts so weak! This is a high mileage Aero (200K +) could the heat have weakened them? I've had to order some replacements from a local machine shop - now Aero less until tuesday!

FYI the local Saab dealership (Gloucester SAAB) wanted over £6 + VAT per bolt! - Maybe these bolts should always be replaced at high mileages??

adrian

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
These are a std M8 x 1.25 pitch thread, they are made of butter & can easily be replaced ( along with most SAAB non structural bolts) with std metric ones. You would be about £2 for a complete set in stainless from a nut n bolt stockist

1 - 2 of 2 Posts