SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I've been a part of the Saab world for awhile, bought my first Saab in college, a 9-5 aero wagon. Owned a couple more Saabs since then, but this is my first introduction to the 9-3SS. I picked this '09 AeroX Combi, 6 speed, up in the dead of this past winter. Damn does it feel good to be back in a manual Saab wagon. It came tuned, VTuner stage 0, but felt much too slow for a tuned car. It drove like an unhealthy car. I've detuned it and have been going through maintenance items to get this baby back on track. The basic ticket items have been completed.. coils, plugs, intake, oil, suspension overhaul, brakes, etc. I'm onto the fuel system now as my tank reads empty all the time, this project should get tackled later this week/weekend. I'll keep this thread updated with words and photos as I continue to work on it. For now, hello!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey man,
I have a turbo x and my fuel pump went bad and it pulled like dogshit. Good luck sourcing one, but once it was replaced it is preforming much better now.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey man,
I have a turbo x and my fuel pump went bad and it pulled like dogshit. Good luck sourcing one, but once it was replaced it is preforming much better now.
I was hoping this would be the case. I swapped in a new pump this past weekend, Aeromotive 340. Fairly easy install once the tank was out, just had to modify the pump basket a touch. I'm thinking it must be injectors or an air leak I'm not catching. I installed a new purge valve this past weekend along with pump, thinking it would clean up my idle and hot starts, no dice there either.

Next on the list is to run a smoke test. I fixed the fuel sender but must have snagged a fuel feed or return line in the tank on the float. It reads appropriately half way and down. Sigh. More pictures to follow, getting the fuel tank was a bear, hopefully the second go around will be more methodic and quicker

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm basically in the same process of redoing mine as well (08 Aero SS). Could be running better so I'm tackling everything I think the car could use and trying to get it perfect. I'm throwing in the same pump shortly (except different brand, AEM) and if you have any tips you could share that would be sweet. Good luck with the new ride, hoping to grab one of the V6 wagons myself one day before all of em are owned by the real enthusiasts. My German shepherd would sure as hell love the extra legroom haha

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm basically in the same process of redoing mine as well (08 Aero SS). Could be running better so I'm tackling everything I think the car could use and trying to get it perfect. I'm throwing in the same pump shortly (except different brand, AEM) and if you have any tips you could share that would be sweet. Good luck with the new ride, hoping to grab one of the V6 wagons myself one day before all of em are owned by the real enthusiasts. My German shepherd would sure as hell love the extra legroom haha

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
The tank drop was fairly straight forward. If you're FWD it'll be even easier. Just drop exhaust and the tank is right there. I'd buy new a o-ring for the pump assembly. I guess they swell when fuel touches them. I need to get one for my next tank drop. My pump came hardwired with a positive and negative wires and a pigtail. I cut the connector off on the new pump and the oem assembly. I had a friend solder these wires together and heat shrink it with fuel safe heat shrink. I also had to trim the basket where the pump slides in, very easy with a metal file. The friend that did the soldering advised me to drill out the hole out on the bottom of the basket where the brown/orange rubber plug. 1/2" hole to allow for better flow into the basket. I took a lot of pictures to remember where things went.. hard lines outside of the tank, locations, etc. I clearly should have taken more when I removed the pump assembly. PM me if you get stuck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts