SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'll be in the class on Nov 15-16. Can't wait!! :)

Have fun ... I'll look forward to hearing how things go.

Cheers!!

Ken

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Well the program before was basically the same as the 2 day Panoz Driving school class--actually it was identical according to the program.
With Skip Barber now running the program I'm wondering if they'll change the format. There is certainly room for improvement as there was some stupid events such as driving around with a tennis ball in a salad bowl on the hood--rather pointless as I could do this in a parking lot on my own. You all will have to let us know.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I attended one of the July sessions. I found the activities very informative, including the tennis ball exercise. I am sure this course will not satisfy everyone's states or expectations. But, for the average driver, such as myself, you will leave satisfied. My only words of advise, is to let go and brake through your normal driving habits. This was particularly difficult for me in the braking exercise.

I have one more Aero Academy certificate (Aero 2006SS & 2007SC), and if my schedule permits, I will attend again.

I have posted pictures in another thread.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The weekend was great fun!
Fellow attendees were very friendly and fun to hang out with-

The instructors were also knowledgeble and had a good sense of humor.
I do think I learned a great deal about what the car could do and how it could perform in different conditions. I also improved my time fairly significantly after an instructor ride-along on the auto-x

Was a little dissapointed that if you stay at the Chatue for 189/night you still have to pay another $10 a day for internet in your room when the Hojo across the street for $70 has it included...
Maybe I'm picky, but that was kinda chincy.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
fishhyren11 said:
Was a little dissapointed that if you stay at the Chatue for 189/night you still have to pay another $10 a day for internet in your room when the Hojo across the street for $70 has it included...
That's quite typical of hotels these days however it's getting better. Among the same corporate parents, ie Hilton, Marriot, etc. the lower end hotel/motels usually offer free WiFi while their premium brands charge for it:evil: Just a way to increase incremental revenue for the businesses.

·
Registered
885 Posts
fishhyren11 said:
The weekend was great fun!
Fellow attendees were very friendly and fun to hang out with-

The instructors were also knowledgeble and had a good sense of humor.
I do think I learned a great deal about what the car could do and how it could perform in different conditions. I also improved my time fairly significantly after an instructor ride-along on the auto-x

And here's the proof!

G

·
Very cool pictures, best I have seen of the Aero Academy so far. My certificate expires next week and unfortunately never had a chance to make it to Atlanta.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Wulf said:
Very cool pictures, best I have seen of the Aero Academy so far. My certificate expires next week and unfortunately never had a chance to make it to Atlanta.
I got 'trigger happy' this weekend and took 500+ photos of our team's activities...

...and since I knew fishhyren was there, I took him in the auto-x.

All-in-all, it was a good weekend. I think all who attended had a good, fun, educational time.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Wulf said:
I'm sure they'd extend the date as they had problems with not enough slots for all the certificates and dates.
Hey, if you don't want it send it to me--I'll go again:p

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Aero Academy was a blast - Go Joey's Kids - 30 seconds faster in the Autocross !

I'lll try to post some photos here after I get them rescaled

·
Registered
81 Posts
I saw the press release about it being open to any Saab purchaser and got all excited, then realized it was for MY2008. :( What, no love for buying a NEW 2007, GM??? Plus, I was also excited to see it was at Road Atlanta, but then again disappointed that you didn't actually get to drive on the Road Atlanta track, but on "ancillary courses". Isn't that kind of like buying $1000 tickets to a Rolling Stones concert, only to have to see a cover band on one of the side stages?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
The type of exercises you do at the course are not what you'd want to do on the actual track. You will have braking, steering and car control exercises. You really don't get above about 60mph in any of the exercises and most are done at relatively low speed. I went to the July 7th meet and had a blast. Everyone there was fun and open to learning.

·
Registered
29 Posts
time it took for u to receive

fishhyren11 said:
Looking forward to next week's Academy!
Anyone else here going? Got my Itenerary a few days ago!
HI there , I purchased my AERO August 22nd and I still havent received my certificate, how long did it take for you to receive yours?:confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Rob in Atlanta said:
The type of exercises you do at the course are not what you'd want to do on the actual track. You will have braking, steering and car control exercises. You really don't get above about 60mph in any of the exercises and most are done at relatively low speed. I went to the July 7th meet and had a blast. Everyone there was fun and open to learning.
Yeah, but for $1500 I'd want to drive the "real" track too, since for 1/2 of that I can spend a day driving a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Viper, Z06 and other stuff.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
sm0kescreen said:
Yeah, but for $1500 I'd want to drive the "real" track too, since for 1/2 of that I can spend a day driving a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Viper, Z06 and other stuff.
First of all, the class is worth about $1,200. At least, that's what the two-day 'Audi Experience' class costs that does the same exercises on the same track with the same instructors.

Secondly, the class is included in the price of the car, so there's no out-of-pocket expense for attending the class. I didn't even know about the class when I bought the car, and so for me the class was an added bonus. Still, the Aero Academy is not an added expense when you buy the car. Sure, it's somewhere in the price of the car, but you might as well go and enjoy it. I've never heard of an 'unlimited track half-day' with the cars you mentioned for $750. If you've got some local program that does this, that's awesome. Where do I sign up?

The Aero Academy is not about racing. It's a 'Performance Driving School'. It's not a Panoz or Skip Barber racing school. Yes, there is an autocross course and you do discuss the proper racing lines and so forth, but the class is really focused on making you a beter driver in everyday situations. The class is about pushing the limits of what a stock car can do and teaching yourself how to react. It's really what Driver's Ed ought to be. You learn things about how to correct for oversteer, understeer, how to handle emergency braking, swerving, how much steering input, throttle, or braking you can effectively use in certain situations, etc.

Sure, these are all things that you could do in an empty parking lot or on an empty stretch of road. Heck, my Dad taught me many of the things we covered in class when I was 14 or 15 out in some back country roads. But the point is that it's a controlled, safe environment, with Saab's cars, with actual semi-professional race-car drivers instructing you on how to do it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts