SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm almost there with a decision. Question. Did I see in a post somewhere on this site that the V-6 is built by Holden? I also heard that the Pontiac GTO, built by Holden was plaqued with reliability issues. If both of these are so, how has the reliability been on the Aero V-6? Thanks again for your help.

Kelvin

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I can't help much, but it seems there was a coolant tank issue with the 2.8l, but it may now be resolved. The motor hasn't been around long enough to have owners with tons of miles on it.
It is a fairly low stress design. 260hp from a 2.8 turbo is not a big deal. Lots of 2.0l are making that kind of power.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The V6 is one of GM's "High Feature" V6s and is built here in Melbourne for the Holden Commodore in huge numbers in 3.6l non turbo form. There are loads on the road with no major reliability probs, they're the standard fleet / government / big family car. The same factory also builds the 2.8 turbo destined for Saab

See here

Ironically the Pontiac GTO or Holden Monaro as it's called here uses an imported Chevrolet V8.

Here's the goods.

Thats the global economy in action I guess.

The GTO is a big cheap powerful car based on a high volume fleet sedan, and as such has become very popular as easily affordable muscle, but is cheap and cheerful from a build quality point of view because of it's roots. That may be where reliability issues lie.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Having been out for about 2 years now, not much data available except that it is very reliable (as are most powertrains these days).
About the only issue is the coolant tank which isn't really the powertrain.

As already stated there aren't any real high mileage ones out there unlike the proven, bulletproof 2.0 turbo.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
The Monaro has a pretty good reliability record in Australia (and apparently so does the GTO in the US http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=2006&make=Pontiac&model=GTO&trimid=-1)

Holden have been building cheap, reliable cars for decades, the build quality may be suspect at times, but hey, they are cheap. Every man and his dog has one here. The 3.6l version is one of the bread and butter engines of the fleet and taxi industry. There are many out there with over 100,000 miles on the clock.

The HF engine is a gobal GM design. It wasn't designed in Australia, only built here (and in Canada too I believe).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all. It looks like the 2007 Aero in either Silver or Smoke Beige will be the winner. You can't beat the $5,500 rebates!!

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Cosmicflash said:
Having been out for about 2 years now, not much data available except that it is very reliable (as are most powertrains these days).
Agree with Cos. Main powertrain components are very reliable in almost all cars. Maybe some bolt-ons have problems, like pumps for example.

Manufacturers overdesign the main components and then underconfigure the vehicles. They limit engine output as needed to preserve the weakest link. Or they limit other choices such as forcing you to buy an automatic tranny if you opt for the biggest engine.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
kcaudell said:
Thanks to all. It looks like the 2007 Aero in either Silver or Smoke Beige will be the winner. You can't beat the $5,500 rebates!!
Well thats easy, you can follow the heard and go with safe silver or you can have a distinctive car in a distinctive colour and go smoke beige.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only problem with Smoke Beige is a Parchment interior. While I'm not a really dirty sort, I do find that over time, the lighter interiors look bad. The Silver can be had with Black/Charcoal interior. I would MUCH prefer this. Anyone know of a Laser Red over Black 2007 Aero out there in the US????

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
kcaudell said:
The only problem with Smoke Beige is a Parchment interior. While I'm not a really dirty sort, I do find that over time, the lighter interiors look bad. The Silver can be had with Black/Charcoal interior. I would MUCH prefer this. Anyone know of a Laser Red over Black 2007 Aero out there in the US????
The parchment interior is very nice. I'm on my second one here and have driven over 130,000 mies between the two cars and they stayed quite clean especially now with the GM cost cutting and all carpets black:roll:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts