SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 92 900S convertible 90000km. A few minor issues, heater doesn't work well, needs a new thermostat, the fan does not turn off it stays running on 1, I can't turn it right off, the left mirror only goes in 3 directions, but most important the radio aerial will not go up. There is no power to it to make it go up. The radio works, and the CD is fine, but with no aerial up no reception. Any pointers on the aerial issue welcome. As yet I have no manual with it, it was imported from Singapore with no books etc. I will need to get a Haynes Manual.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Are you sure the arial isn't broken? Does it have an aftermarket radio unit in it? Not all units have a power arial connection. Have you checked the fuse?

Fan runs in 1, 2, and 3. To shut it off you need to turn the vent selector all the way to 0.

Heat, is the car warming up? Is the need for the thermostat because its overheating or because its not warming up? If the car is heating up, there is a valve in the piping going to the heater core that shuts off if the car is getting too hot. Might be the reason for poor heat in the car.

Bentley is the preferred manual for this car. Haynes is better than chiltons, but still not great. If you can find the Bentley, get it, if you can't find it get the Haynes, if you can't find either, watch ebay for the factory manuals or used haynes/bentleys.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your time

and reply.

It appears to be warm, but I have had thermostat issues before and figure I should try replacing it first anyway, the needle does not run as far up on the guage as I think it should or as far as it does in my other Saabs.

Yes it is an aftermarket radio, but the aerial is electric. I couldn't see which fuse it was for the aerial in the fuse box. They all appeared fine at first look but I will go back and look again now I know there is no power to the aerial.
Then I will try power on the aerial.

The car is definately not getting too hot, I had the roof down!. Put it backup and found the heater was not performing.

Thanks for that about the manual, will look for Bentleys

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Not all aftermarket radios are compatable with electric arials, ie, if it doesn't have the wire your radio will work but your ariel won't. When you turn the radio on the radio has to send a signal/power to the arial to go up.

I'd pull you radio and make sure that it first has the wire for a power arial, that it is hooked up properly, and check the fuses on the back of the radio.

If the radio itself doesn't have a power arial plug you'll never get power back to the arial and it won't ever go up. You can hard wire so it comes on when you turn the key on though.

Check the coolent level. If low, the first sign is often a lack of heat, the heater core is the highest part of the coolent system and thus the first to run out of coolent.

·
4,637 Posts
Check under the rear seat for fuses also.

To test if the antenna is working, move the spare wheel and carpet and look for the connector to the antenna. Jump the red to the green and the antenna should lift, remove the jumper and it should lower. If not, you need to look for bad fuses. Red should be constantly live, green is switched by the radio. The antenna is grounded to the body.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
cdaly said:
To test if the antenna is working, move the spare wheel and carpet and look for the connector to the antenna. Jump the red to the green and the antenna should lift, remove the jumper and it should lower. If not, you need to look for bad fuses. Red should be constantly live, green is switched by the radio. The antenna is grounded to the body.
It uses the same fuse as the radio in the underbonnet fuse box (or, at least, does on mine...)

The side trim on the boot's easy to move out the way - a couple of the plastic screws and untuck it from the trim - and everything's easily accessible. Two minutes with a multimeter should see whether the problem's power supply or aerial. In a way, it's academic, as the quick'n'dirty fix'd be the same for both... Bin it and put a normal aerial there...

From memory, it's the blue wire on standard DIN head unit wiring which provides +12v out to the aerial.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks again

I have been in behind the spare wheel and checked with my trusty multimeter, BUT! I need to check again as per the above instructions as I thought one wire was live and the other was earth. OOps, will check again tomorrow, too dark out there just now.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
rawill said:
I have been in behind the spare wheel and checked with my trusty multimeter, BUT! I need to check again as per the above instructions as I thought one wire was live and the other was earth. OOps, will check again tomorrow, too dark out there just now.
Definitely one perma-live (might just be live for a few seconds after ignition switched off, though) feed and one switched-with-stereo live.

The earth is through the mounting bracket.

·
4,637 Posts
TooMany2cvs said:
Definitely one perma-live (might just be live for a few seconds after ignition switched off, though) feed and one switched-with-stereo live.
It's permanently live. One of mine has the radio on whether or not the ignition is on and its antenna rises and lowers regardless.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
cdaly said:
It's permanently live. One of mine has the radio on whether or not the ignition is on and its antenna rises and lowers regardless.
Furry muff. I know I've got to sort the power feed to my stereo out - it goes off if you dim the dash lights too much...

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aha, yes and no!!! The red wire is permanently live, but I can't get anything out of the green one. So I figure somehow it is disconnected or something. Now before I take the Radio/CD player out, and I've go no tools to do it,(the ones the come with the radio) is there anywhere else I should look. I haven't looked under the rear seat for fuses yet.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
rawill said:
Aha, yes and no!!! The red wire is permanently live, but I can't get anything out of the green one.
What happens if you put live to both terminals on the aerial? You should find it extends, and retracts when you remove the live from the green.

If that is the case, then it's head unit out, and make sure the aerial wire's connected up behind there.

If not, then the aerial's dead as well as whatever's causing your lack of "I'm on" signal - so just get a fixed one...

·
4,637 Posts
If the red wire is live and the radio works, there are no fuses blown. Have you confirmed that you have a good ground for the antenna? If so, did you jump the red to the green wire (while still connected...)? That should raise the antenna. If so, the antenna is fine, if not, it's at fault.

With the radio on, you should have voltage at the green wire, if not, it's not connected to the radio. Behind the radio, there are two multiplugs. One has eight loudspeaker wires, the other has power, ground and so on. The green wire there is the antenna switch wire. The radio will often have the wiring code on a label. Connect the antenna wire to the green and you should be good to go.

No, there's nowhere else to look, radio (or dash) out is the next option.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
YES, aerial works, when you bridge the wires. Now how to get the head unit out! without the tool to unhook it. It is a Sanyo with removable face plate, model FXD 78GD

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
arnt extenable antenna great?Mine had issues too.I tried to fix it but no go,so in comes a fixed length antenna..

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
rawill said:
YES, aerial works, when you bridge the wires. Now how to get the head unit out! without the tool to unhook it. It is a Sanyo with removable face plate, model FXD 78GD
The tool costs next to nothing. There's a couple of different types, though, so make sure you get the right one for your stereo. Any decent local audio shop should be able to help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts