SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 84 900T 8V that I'd like to begin "pepping up" in the near future. It's stock injectors need to be at least cleaned or replaced, so I thought I would look into upgrading them. Any suggestions as to what to use? I'm getting to know my way around the 84, but am pretty green in the modification dept. :)

I've read through the sticky on what a new owner should know in terms of mods and am thinking about other modifications.

-upgrading to larger turbocharger/ upgrading or rebuilding original turbocharger
-modifying APC (how difficult is this anyhow? thinking of getting another one to modify just in case of accidents:))
-upgrading exhaust system
-upgraded injectors.
-upgraded inter-cooler

I'd like to know what you think is the best order to do this in. My friend subscribes to the rebuild it from the outside in philosophy- starting with exhaust and air intake and working inward.

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

I appreciate it:)

·
Registered
245 Posts
hello, cooper-davis, I know it's a bummer with no search function, but if you scan through the previous threads listed in the index of the different forums, you'll likely find what you're looking for, with detailed discussions on intake mods, inter-coolers and FMICs, exhaust systems, turbos, coil on plug mods, head swapping and cams to use.

I agree with your friend; start with intake/intercooler/possibly turbo, then do headers/possibly turbo/exhaust, then maybe a head swap, port the intake etc etc. If you're thinking of moding the APC, read the 900aero.com website tech tips - moding the APC. You'll find a lot of very relevant info on that site.

And as everyone will tell you, be prepared to strengthen and/or rebuild the tranny because of all the extra power you'll be putting through it.

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
Wack on a t16 head, ECU and wiring loom. Easiest way using standard Saab parts. Get rid of dissy timing and get something mappable for ignition curve.

Alternatively... obtain Porsche k-jet system and fool it into proving the correct fueling for 900 t8. Tricky. + you need control of ignition timing, so go for a MSD or something.

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
That only depends on if the engine is out of the car or not.

It would be easy enough to change the guides and timing chain with the engine in the car though. If the idea is to change the head then the head will be off the block anyway. Only additional work would be to undo the 5 or 6 bolts holding on the timing cover and a further 4 or so bolts holding on the chain guides... bolt back up with the new stuff and you're done. Oh, and the crank pulley would have to come off. Would be much easier with the engine out of the car, but could be done eaisly enough with the engine in the car. Taking the engine in and out would be work as well, so either way some additional work would be required to swap to a 16v head.

But essentially, it can be done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts