SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

this is for a MY01 Aero Wagon with 165K
bought a Turbo from a popular shop on ebay because I was burning a lot of oil, about a quart every 500 miles. It runs relatively well but a whistle under WOT. Smokes entering the red on the guage. Not to bad at start up.

I initially though it was the seals. I knew the turbo was a new one, fitted by the PO. I bought it from auction knowing I'd be putting a few hours and a few new parts. However, when I bought the car the oil was low. The first thing I did was check for sludge, all clean.
So, still the oil issue. Initially checked the Turbo-Intercooler pipe at the turbo end. I was expecting it to be oily, thinking seals as a result of low oil since the replacement of the turbo...or low oil as a result of the turbo. it wasn't particularly oily, but it was sooty at the part I could get to.
Continued to drive, ordered said part thinking I'd rebuild the one I was taking off and stick it on the NG900.
Anyway, part arrived, shaft was wobbly as heck and seller won't take it back. I also took off the turbo on the car. I wish I'd taken photos but forgot as a result of so many other things going on at the same time. Basically, shaft on car turbo has no movement, very solid and spins nicely without any contact with the walls. There was no scoring on inlet side. The outlet was however covered in white kind of powdery stuff. I was thinking it was just oxidation but am not familiar with the exhaust side of turbos.

I've not checked the throttle properly and I am pretty sure i've got PCV6 installed but will check again tomorrow.
I can't think of another way I could be loosing so much oil. It may well be the seals on the turbo - thoughts.
I could always fit the new one with the loose shaft.

thoughts?

cheers

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Were you getting puddles of oil under the car? Or you think the oil was burnt off by the engine? If not did you check to see if oil is in the cooling system? If so could be a head gasket issue. How did you check for sludge; did you drop the sump? Did you get the car from Interstate in salem NH? That's where I got mine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The oil is coming through the exhaust, not leaking.
There was a little residual oil in the cooling system but I have a feeling it was from an issue prior to my ownership. I'm keeping an eye on it. However, it's still oil getting into the exhaust system.

Nope, not from interstate, a place out by Waltham.
Yep, sump dropped and looking fine.

Were you getting puddles of oil under the car? Or you think the oil was burnt off by the engine? If not did you check to see if oil is in the cooling system? If so could be a head gasket issue. How did you check for sludge; did you drop the sump? Did you get the car from Interstate in salem NH? That's where I got mine.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
You should pull the Spark Plugs to see what they look like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts