SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction for a good (and simple) guide on how best to restore bodywork and trim on my 900 Convertible!

I've never done anything cosmetic beyond washing and smearing with a bit of wax, and the guides I've found are all pretty light on the 'how to' and pretty heavy on the product placement.

Ideally I'm looking for some suggestions on what products are best to use to;

- remove scrapes/marks from bumpers and plastic trim.
- restores bumpers and plastic trim back to the original black (they're pretty badly bleached in places)
- remove some light scratches from the paint

.... and then the techniques to use them to get the best results!

If I get some good info, I'll take before and after pics when I do the work and post up here as a 'How to' guide.

Over to the experts.......

:cheesy:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Somebody? Anybody?

I've tried the search function without success.... throw me a rope.....please!!!

Here's the rear bumper scratches - I'm planning to give the plastic a light sand to remove the grooves and then add the colouring dye to bring it back to a uniform colour, although I reckon it's going to take a lot of passes! I have no idea about the stainless strips, other than using some stainless steel cleaner on them.....

Here's the UV discolouration on the front bumper

Which dye/plastic restorer should I use? Any tips or tricks to help achieve the best results?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Can see your point (hi by the way ;ol; ) mine had more of those scrapes when I bought it and I decided to go the route of painting the whole bumper, not as hard as you think as it comes off really easily and the paint as being a satin sheen is pretty forgiving with rattle cans....
The strip I gave up completely with mine 'specially as some was missing so went with the generic sticky stuff off fleabay, though having said it's been 3 years and it hasn't worn well... maybe you can pick up better from a scrappy?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Toe! The scratching isn't actually that deep - it's mostly somebody else's paint making it look bad!

I had a similar problem with a Mk2 Golf - I can only surmise that the low height and big bumpers mean that other drivers aren't aware that the bumper ends a good 10cm in front of the bonnet! Still, it's their paint, not mine......

I'm hoping to restore the parts on the car, rather than replace them where possible for two reasons: Firstly, replacement parts will come off a scrapper, and 30 year old parts will probably need cleaned and refinished anyway: Secondly, it keeps the cost down!

·
Registered
108 Posts
www.autogeek.net

If your serious about restoring the paint you need a DA orbital polisher, see link above.. I bought the porter cable kit, and use their Pinnacle products... With the polisher and some patience you'll be surprised how good the paint will look...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts