SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon ..I have both my bumpers off my 2001 93 aero and somebody has sprayed the black trim on the bumper ..I have tried with wet and dry but as yet cannot get it off ..has anybody got any ideas as to what to use to get it off ..ps I am in the UK ..thanks Michael

·
Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
1,582 Posts
Mick - what kind of area are we talking about small patch- or is it the whole bumper?
The other thing - are you 100% sure it's spray paint - because it could be silicone restorer or items like 'plasti-dip' or armour-all.

A photo here would work wonders..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As you can see the black trim has been sprayed silver and has faded ..I cannot get it off with the tools I have available in my garage ..of I had electric orbital sander maybe do it but need some sort of liquid to remote the spray ..I have started with coarse wet and dry but it is not going very well

·
Registered
19,747 Posts
If you're already into coarse sandpaper... then I guess you're not trying to preserve what's underneath.

Caution: Don't get these solvents on anything you aren't comfortable damaging the paint on. Some might be OK but you never know.

I would try rubbing alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner, or as a last resort, xylene. I'm sure xylene will take it off but it will remove everything else too. It's severe.

Acetone will probably take it off but it's going to likely remove other things too. The lacquer thinner is more gentle but can also remove some paints. Alcohol is usually fine, but I'd test that too in an unseen spot before using on anything you care about.

·
Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
1,582 Posts
If the black trim there is similar to the window pillars then it’s likely to be a 3M tape. You might want to investigate if you can lift it. Heat might be an option rather than your sandpaper. Remember on your aero bumper it’s only that small flat section that is meant to be black. The rest is silver.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is actually silver spray and then in the middle a clear lacquer that has been put over the top ..I have started to get the silver off and my missus has just brought me an 18volt orbital sander with a load off pads and a polishing pad ..I already have the spray so hopefully next weekend we will know more ..the front bumper is the same and then repair the bottom of the front bumper as it's split in 2 places at the bottom on the front

·
Registered
11,002 Posts
The trim on top of the Viggen/Aero bumpers was never black. It’s more of a medium grey, textured, with a little bit of a metallic look. The door moldings are the same. I asked a couple of body shops if they could match it, and so far I haven’t found one that would.

·
Registered
19,747 Posts
The trim on top of the Viggen/Aero bumpers was never black. It’s more of a medium grey, textured, with a little bit of a metallic look. The door moldings are the same. I asked a couple of body shops if they could match it, and so far I haven’t found one that would.
I found a Rustoleum paint that's very, very close. Not their usual thick enamels... more of a thin finish. I will see if I can find my info on it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My so or mouldings are carbon fibre or shall I say carbon fibre effect ..but definitely hard plastic shiny which to be honest I really like ..at the weekend I will take a picture and post it ...I'm. Not likely to paint them anyway ..am I want to do is shift the silver spray off the back and front bumper that somebody has put there so I can carry on my refurb..it's never going to be as it was when it came out the factory and all I have to work with is what I was given when I bought her and this car is not something that is being done up to be sold because I am keeping her ..I cant be a purist because ton much has been done that can't be undone so all I can do is the best that I am capable of and if I can't do it then that's what the body shop Is for because I think the front bumper is beyond my skillset because bodywork has never been my strong suit but I might just be able to do the back one .

·
Registered
78 Posts
It looks more to me like residue from a near chemical factory chimney then paint.
Maybe you remember as you posted here something about your car and i posted
a front shot from my aero. The bumper strip on mine is bleached from the uv-
radiation - 22 years old. It has originally a light rough surface in matte black.
Today i try to refresh it with plastic reconditioner. Pics follow.

The orbital sander is dangerous. Without skills it damages more then it sands off.
First use on lowest speed. Dont press tight on the surface. Work in longitudinal
movement to grind the paint down.
I suggest try to use brake cleaner to remove the coating. Cover carefully nearby
areas to protect them.

Factory surface treatment

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you're already into coarse sandpaper... then I guess you're not trying to preserve what's underneath.

Caution: Don't get these solvents on anything you aren't comfortable damaging the paint on. Some might be OK but you never know.

I would try rubbing alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner, or as a last resort, xylene. I'm sure xylene will take it off but it will remove everything else too. It's severe.

Acetone will probably take it off but it's going to likely remove other things too. The lacquer thinner is more gentle but can also remove some paints. Alcohol is usually fine, but I'd test that too in an unseen spot before using on anything you care about.
DOT-3 brake fluid is also a whiz at softening/removing most paint, but you have to leave it on the paint to let it do its chemical thing; it takes time, at least a few days. Maybe try paper towels wetted with BF to prevent it running. To retard evaporation cover it with cling wrap or something like.

·
Registered
144 Posts
DOT-3 brake fluid is also a whiz at softening/removing most paint, but you have to leave it on the paint to let it do its chemical thing; it takes time, at least a few days. Maybe try paper towels wetted with BF to prevent it running. To retard evaporation cover it with cling wrap or something like.
I was going to add brake fluid to my oven cleaner comment. But since brake fluid usually takes overnight to work I made the assumption it would also be harder to keep it off of the paint he wants to save.

It could work though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That being said both bumpers are off the car and the paint that I want to remove is defiantly silver spray that somebody has sprayed on to match the 268 spray that the car already is but has done a terrible job ..the actual silver on the bumper is virtually unmarked and I want to protect it as much as I can but refurb the top trim piece ..the front bumper has been sprayed all over and needs major repairs to the bottom at the front as it has 2 large splits that need serious attention and as I don't think my bodywork skills are up to the task I will more than likely send it to the body shop for repair and respray ..thanks for everyone's input

1 - 19 of 19 Posts