SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was shocked, but it seems the lifespan of my Pirellis is no different than everybody else's. After only 13,000 miles and one tire rotation, my tires(tyres, for our friends "across the pond") have minimal tread left in the middle of the tire. Very disappointing:( .
Unlike many, I actually am very happy with the performance these tires deliver, just not their wear characteristics. I find the grip phenomenal, even when wet. I've searched the forums, and there's not as much out there as I thought.
I am NOT looking for an all season tire- I purchased Saab's package last year(with the ten spokes and snow tires) and am very happy in the snow.
I AM looking for a dedicated "summer" high performance tire, with grip similar to our Pirellis, but hopefully that will last me at least 30,000 mi. With the life span of our stock tires, I'm sure many of you have replaced your Pirellis with similar high performance tires. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well, the tire wear is inversely proportionate to the grip. So anything that grips as well as the Neros is going to have similarly poor life. I will say that although mine are at the wear bars, they are beautifully even WRT wear across the width, with no scalloping at all. Still smooth and pretty quiet... unusual, I feel. I run them at 43 psi front, and 41 rear.

That said, I had good luck with some Bridgestone S02 Pole positions, and also Sumitomo HTRZ-2 on the last car. I also run the winter tires and 16" rims-for about 4-5 months. The summer tires last for the remaining 7-8 months and that's about it. I could get another month or two at best. I have perhaps 17,000 miles on mine, and they are beetleskins now!;oops:

I'm swapping over at the end of October, and will fit new tires (Goodrich gForce T/A KDW-2 at Tire Rack) over the winter. My first foray with Goodrich in probably 20 years... no idea. Have heard good things about them, and also the Toyo Proxes.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Doc-

I've had the Toyo Proxies 4 on my car since April and couldn't be happier. They grip the rode nicely and they're quiet. Tread wear so far has been even, and haven't been melting away! I thought about a strickly summer tire but didn't feel like going through the hassel of replacing them after 15k. I too went for the winter treads but i didn't go with the dealership to get them, i ended up putting Blizzaks on a steel rim. Besides, the way snow falls around here it can be April and we'll get a snow storm and i would have already changed my tires around, at least with the Toyos i wouldn't be stuck! Hope this helps a wee bit.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I replaced my Pirellis with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tyres. They have great grip in the dry and in the wet, are quieter in my opinion than the Pirellis and are the smoothest rolling (a definite Michelin quality) tyres I've ever had. I have about 9k miles on them now after one rotation, and it's clear they'll last longer than the Pirellis did. I'm guessing I'll get closer to 15k miles out of them.

If money isn't an object, that's my recommendation.

From what I'm reading about the Proxes, or others, they would have to be siginificantly less expensive for me to not go with the Pilots again.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i complained a lot when i first put the sumitomo htrz-II's on my car a couple of weeks ago. now that they are broken in, i have to say...they're not bad. many people on tirerack.com said they were a good balance between high performance and tread life. when i first put them on, i felt like the sidewall was way too soft and the overall grip wasn't there...but after breaking them in for about a week, i have to say...they're not bad at all. it seems like the sidewalls have stiffened up a little, and the overall grip has improved quite a bit. i never realized how big of a fan i was of the pirillis until it came time to replace them...they inspire a lot of confidence when pushing the limits. but now that i have these sumitomos broken in, i'm happy with my purchase. hopefully i'll get around 30k+ miles out of them...but hey, at $81.00 a tire, i'm definately not complaining.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I just did my 15K service/rotation and I will get 20K-25K out of my stock Neros. I don't know why. I rotate every 5K and for a while was running them close to 41psi but now run them closer to 36psi for better ride comfort. Wear appears to be very even. That said I won't buy any more as they are VERY noisy and I will sacrifice some performance for better ride quality.

Perhaps having an auto leads to less tire wear somehow? :confused:

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Question

The comments about Pirellis raise 3 factors:

1. Wear: They use faster as they are softer; grip the road better, but if abused or driven hard use faster - par for the course!

2. Noise: I have only experienced any noise when the road surface is bad. If it is damaged even slightly, yes there are noises.

3. Cost: You get what you pay for. If you comprimise you get tires that last twice as long but have only half the grip..

·
Registered
365 Posts
Cojoroh said:
i complained a lot when i first put the sumitomo htrz-II's on my car a couple of weeks ago.
Yeah, mine were pretty squirrelly at first, but after a short bit, they calm down and are very grippy, and amazing in the rain.
One bad thing I forgot to mention is that they get really noisy when approaching wearout. The last few months with mine were annoying. Excellent grip, and horrible noise!;oops: As you noted, it was a huge deal, though. Replacement Michelins would have cost double, and they wore faster and less evenly. Ouch.

I've got to give the Neros credit- they are pretty quiet even though they are worn out. And the car grips like a slotcar right now! Of course if it rains, I have to drive like an old lady until I swap them out.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I have had extremely good luck with my Toyo T1-R's since I upgraded to a 17" wheel package (Borbet Type FS)

The Toyo T1-R's are excellent when it comes to performance. They grip well and have excellent gripping action in the wet stuff. I used my 15" alloy's as my dedicated winter tire now.

Depending on price, I would probably stick with Toyo's again or perhaps go with the SO-3 Pole Position from Bridgestone. I have no idea how long these tires will last, but will find out as time goes by...

Paul

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
voodoochile said:
I'm swapping over at the end of October, and will fit new tires (Goodrich gForce T/A KDW-2 at Tire Rack) over the winter. My first foray with Goodrich in probably 20 years... no idea. Have heard good things about them, and also the Toyo Proxes.
I put the KDWs on this summer and I'm pretty pleased with them. They're grippier than duct tape on a hairy forearm, and surprisingly stable in the wet. I drove through some nasty thunderstorms a couple of weeks ago and there was no hint of hydroplaning. Cornering grip is excellent...

One drawback: they'll talk back to you all the way home. The amount of road noise was definitely noticeable

·
Registered
365 Posts
mike saunders said:
I put the KDWs on this summer and I'm pretty pleased with them. They're grippier than duct tape on a hairy forearm, and surprisingly stable in the wet. I drove through some nasty thunderstorms a couple of weeks ago and there was no hint of hydroplaning. Cornering grip is excellent...

One drawback: they'll talk back to you all the way home. The amount of road noise was definitely noticeable
That's awesome, Mike- I'm in for sure then!
I was hoping someone here could confirm this tire. The Tire Rack lists them at a buck twenty five each, while the neros are considerably more. The tread wear rating is a little higher on the KDW as well. I'll deal with the noise. As long as it's not a loud droning (winter tires), I can deal. By the time I put my summer rims on, my nerves are pretty well frazzled from the snows.

I was close to settling on the Goodyear F1, but heard they are prone to severe tramlining.:eek:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Pirellis All-Seasons, will the lifespan be different

I have 17" Pirellis All-Seasons on my 2005 93 Convertible. Should I expect the same life as those with the other Pirellis on previous model years?

IE What impact does the tag 'All-Season' have on wear?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MichSaab said:
IE What impact does the tag 'All-Season' have on wear?
In general, "high performance" is usually inversely related to treadwear. The higher the performance, the softer the rubber compound. The stock pirellis on aeros are not all season. Your all season tires should last much longer than the neros we have on our aeros(assuming proper rotation).

Thanks to all for the replies. When I make a decision, I'll give an update with first impressions....

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
EP,

I'm about 50 miles south of you. I think I'm going with the ContiExtreme Contacts year round. I spent the last two winters skating on the P-Zero's when it snowed, which really isn't too often.

Grip-schmip, I hate the P-Zero's. Any tire that is run at the recommended inflation and wears bald down the center in the first 5000 miles is the WRONG tire for the application. With that kind of wear pattern it is obvious you are not getting the full contact patch.

What kills me is some guys here run these at 40 psi. With that kind of pressure these tires probably have the same contact area as my 120 psi bike tires.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
ctrlz...i was wondering about that. i ran 38 at first and noticed the centers starting to wear. i dropped down to 35-36 psi (which makes the front tires look flat when parked) and still noticed fast center wear. but some here are saying their pirillis are wearing even at 40+ psi. :eek: i realize we may have more or less passengers on average and drive the car differently, but i drive my car hard, which tends to wear the outsides. everytime i'm driving by myself, at some point during the drive i usually push the car hard through some turns, enough to feel the tires start to slip...i just can't help myself. :cheesy: by the time the pirillis came off, the outsides were at the start of the wear indicators, while the centers were completely bald.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ctrlz- are the contis all seasons? I'm impressed you ran your rossos all year long. I was so impressed the first time I ran then in the rain-tremendous grip. However, in half an inch of snow, I might as well have been on a sled. The ABS and TCS were working overtime.

Anyhow, I agree with you. I am OCD with maintenance on my car, including tire rotations. Although I read all the prior threads regarding rapid wear on these tires, I figured it wouldn't happen to me. Boy was I wrong! It is completely unacceptable, and I wouldn't recommend the rossos to anyone. Have you read many favorable reviews of the Contis?

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
EP Doc said:
Ctrlz- are the contis all seasons? Have you read many favorable reviews of the Contis?
Yes, and yes.

There are reviews on tirerack.com and in this forum. CosmicSaab liked them:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57146
Unfortunately, there is no PERFECT all-around tire for a car like this.

The price for the Contis seems reasonable, and I don't want to get into the whole business of buying a second set of wheels for winter. In Cape May County, if the snow's too deep they only allow 4WD and Emergency Vehicles on the roads anyway. In those situations, my hospital calls on volunteers to chauffeur "essential personnel" (I'm a pathologist).

·
Registered
359 Posts
In the world of tyres "all season" is only a marketing gimmick. There is no tyre that can run good on both dry/wet and ice/snow. If you have compromise of both, then you have very weak summer&winter tyre and there's no point what so ever doing that.

·
Registered
489 Posts
yep, totally agree. always have had dedicated snow tires with studs for winter.

yes, the studs effect dry road driving aspect, however, when the ice storms arrive well worth it.

Jaime

1 - 20 of 23 Posts