SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Removing dipstick with broken cap, a portion of the gasket/spacer from the cap managed to fall into the oil filler. Do I need to excavate/ pull the valve cover or will it make it to the bottom end/filter for easy removal.

2000 9-3 SE Vert

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2000 93 Vert Auto : 2001 93 Vert Manual
53 Posts
The oil filler tube goes to the bottom of the engine, unlike some cars where the oil filler goes directly into the top end of the engine.

If the piece was small enough to make it through the use it may be in the sump area, which I understand is a bit of chore to remove.

The metal filler tube has several curves in it and can be removed if the piece was big enough to get stuck in the tube. Both the plastic filler spout and the metal filler tube are held in by a few 10 mm bolts on top of the engine and can be seem when the plastic cover is removed. If you remove the metal filler tube you should get e new o-ring for it. The filler tube can be re-installed from the top of the car if you know where it goes, but you might have to crawl under the car if you are not sure of where it fits into the engine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SunSaab,

Superb information. I looked up the diagram and saw the tube going to the sump but some voice in the dark recesses of my mind recalled other cars where the oil just goes into the valve cover and percolates down. It was probably the ‘65 fairlane.

I’ll probably start with the tube and work my way down.

Thx!

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
Most cars I've seen have the oil cap in the valve cover and the dipstick somewhere else. When I bought my 900, it didn't have an owner's manual, and it took me a while to realize that the dipstick was attached to the underside of the oil filler cap. I'd never seen that arrangement before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts