SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I have a Saab that the key only start the ignition. I am unable to contact the past owner right now. The key cannot lock the door, trunk, glovebox or lower the back seat.

Question 1: I would like a spare key to my car. How do I obtain one?

Question 2: I am planning to call a dealer and find out if I can program two separate spare keyless fobs to my car. Is this possible?

Question 3: Is there anyway to obtain a key that works in the doors, trunk, etc? Because I would not even bother with the keyless entry.

Thank you in advance :);)

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
The previous owner may have had a problem with the ignition cylinder and replaced it (Very common problem). Obviously the new key won't work in the other locks. The previous owner probably never used the original key for the doors and counted on the fob and keyless entry plus trunk release. Check with him, he may have the key stashed at the bottom of a drawer somewhere.

If the owner doesn't have the original key, SAAB has the code and would charge you about $60 for the key that has to be ordered in. The process will take a few days.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Ignition cylinder was replaced and I didn't know that when I bought the car, it didn't come with keyless. I took it to the dealer, they told me they could get the right cylinder with keys, and would reprogram anything I brought them at the same time. I bought 2 key fobs off ebay for ~$20 each, and took the key to the dealer that I already had. They ordered me a factory key and reprogrammed the 2 key fobs and the key I had for cheap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.