SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe my A/C Evaporator is toast. I got a really bad chemical smell coming in to the cabin and no cold air coming out

I plan on replacing A/C Drier/Filter, Evaporator and Expansion Valve.

The questions are:

Since my system will be apart should I go ahead and replace the A/C Condenser?

Can I buy aftermarket parts from Rockauto? Any brands to avoid?

I typically buy OEM parts or OE direct replacement parts, but the cost of A/C parts is tremendous.

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just went through this and maybe you can learn something from my mishaps.

• I think it is common for them to leak at the expansion valve, you can inspect it by removing the cowl cover under the wipers. Mine foamed up after spraying it with soapy water.
  • Stay away from TYC brand
  • Order an expansion valve that comes with new hardware
  • If the expansion valve does not come right apart don't waste time and just cut the evaporator lines with a hack saw blade
  • In regards to the condenser, I'm not in the habit of replacing parts that still work. Especially if its getting replaced with an aftermarket part.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just went through this and maybe you can learn something from my mishaps.

• I think it is common for them to leak at the expansion valve, you can inspect it by removing the cowl cover under the wipers. Mine foamed up after spraying it with soapy water.
  • Stay away from TYC brand
  • Order an expansion valve that comes with new hardware
  • If the expansion valve does not come right apart don't waste time and just cut the evaporator lines with a hack saw blade
  • In regards to the condenser, I'm not in the habit of replacing parts that still work. Especially if its getting replaced with an aftermarket part.
Thank you for the advise. I am hopefull it is just my expansion valve as well. I stripped it all off, but I am not seeing any traces of fluid or dye anywhere. My compressor won't even kick on at this point. I might try adding some freon to see if it will work for a minute or perhaps get lucky and be able to identify a leak at the valve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts